Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Subar, thinking it will be my last, not getting much help from dealer or Subaru. Most recent challenge is when I have my hot air blowing to defrost and downwards, my AUTO kicks in and I have A/C blowing out the side vent. Is this normal? Purchased this vehicle in March so haven’t had much reason to have heat on. Now I do, just not sure what I should expect. Dealer says it’s normal, can someone help please.

This is the latest in a string of problems I have had, A/C, radio, lift gate, doors, electrical. I have actually the manufacture to take the car back, haven’t heard back from them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would suggest calling Subaru of America. Here is a contact person: Kris Dreschel 856-438-2826, Perhaps he can help if you are not getting help from the dealership. Kris is the Supervisor of Customer/Retail Services Department.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
My first Subar, thinking it will be my last, not getting much help from dealer or Subaru. Most recent challenge is when I have my hot air blowing to defrost and downwards, my AUTO kicks in and I have A/C blowing out the side vent. Is this normal? Purchased this vehicle in March so haven’t had much reason to have heat on. Now I do, just not sure what I should expect. Dealer says it’s normal, can someone help please.

This is the latest in a string of problems I have had, A/C, radio, lift gate, doors, electrical. I have actually the manufacture to take the car back, haven’t heard back from them.
Are you concerned about air temperature or air distribution with those settings?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
...when I have my hot air blowing to defrost and downwards, my AUTO kicks in and I have A/C blowing out the side vent. Is this normal?...
AC is what is should be used to defrost/defog due to its dehumidifying properties. Heat can be added in addition to AC to raise the ambient temperature and dehumidify simultaneously. When I had manual climate controls, I would use a combo of heat and AC to heat the cabin and defog the windshield when the weather called for it. The vents would be set to blow to the windshiled and the cabin (downwards, I think?). It seems like the Ascent on AUTO is trying to do the same thing, perhaps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AC is what is should be used to defrost/defog due to its dehumidifying properties. Heat can be added in addition to AC to raise the ambient temperature and dehumidify simultaneously. When I had manual climate controls, I would use a combo of heat and AC to heat the cabin and defog the windshield when the weather called for it. The vents would be set to blow to the windshiled and the cabin (downwards, I think?). It seems like the Ascent on AUTO is trying to do the same thing, perhaps.
You have it right, that’s exactly what happens, challenge is that it is blowing cold, AC cold. It doesn’t always happen right from the start either. The AC starts to blow cold when the engine is hot. This is where I’m confuse, is it normal? Or is it yet another challenge with my Subar?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would suggest calling Subaru of America. Here is a contact person: Kris Dreschel 856-438-2826, Perhaps he can help if you are not getting help from the dealership. Kris is the Supervisor of Customer/Retail Services Department.
Thanks, I will call them tomorrow

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve come to the conclusion that the Subaru ascent is the biggest piece of garbage on the auto market. My wife’s vehicle has been in the shop 3 or 4 times within two months of owning it. I will never buy another Subaru total trash.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
You have it right, that’s exactly what happens, challenge is that it is blowing cold, AC cold. It doesn’t always happen right from the start either. The AC starts to blow cold when the engine is hot. This is where I’m confuse, is it normal? Or is it yet another challenge with my Subar?
This morning I tried to duplicate your experience. My morning commute was 1/2 hour. I set the controls for front defrost, hi heat. The side vents let out warm air. When I added into this ac they all still blew warm. When I added in recirculate they still blew warm. I will say they do not blow but rather release since the focus is at the windshield for defrosting. No matter what I did over the entire trip I could not replicate what you describe.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I’ve come to the conclusion that the Subaru ascent is the biggest piece of garbage on the auto market. My wife’s vehicle has been in the shop 3 or 4 times within two months of owning it. I will never buy another Subaru total trash.
That's simply total nonsense. You're coming to a conclusion based upon your own unfortunate experience. Subarus have proven to be one of the most reliable brands on the market.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
May I ask what problems she's having with the vehicle? Also, have you called Subaru of America about it?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm no fan boy, this is will be my first and last Subaru, but I think you'll find most people on this forum very helpful. If you want to detail a couple of things either in this thread, or under the appropriate topic in the other threads, perhaps somebody could give you some helpful advice. I definitely get the frustration, I had a lot of issues the first eight months, but things seem to be sorting themselves out finally at this point, but nobody can give you any advice if you're not specific about your issues.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
If anyone is basing all of Subaru on the first year Ascent (or 2nd if you have the 2020) then you are sorely mistaken. It's would be like judging a football team based on just the performance of a rookie drafted out of college.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If anyone is basing all of Subaru on the first year Ascent (or 2nd if you have the 2020) then you are sorely mistaken. It's would be like judging a football team based on just the performance of a rookie drafted out of college.
No, it would be like judging a football team (i.e., management) for depending on that rookie. If they had better players, the rookie wouldn't be in there (until ready). For someone who has a bad experience with a car model, it's a reasonable reaction to adopt a negative opinion of that company.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
lol....not quite. You always try out the rookies regardless of the rest of the team. Mgmt = coaches.

You throw in the rookie, see how they are, make adjustments, etc. Meanwhile the team goes on strong and such. Anyone thinking the rookie underperforming makes a crappy team is not understanding the process of growing a person (car) and team (company).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Basing opinions on car companies off of one car is actually pretty common and I've heard many people say "never again" or "this will be the last ____ I will ever own". An example; My last 3-row was a Ford Explorer and I would have been happy looking into another as an replacement. My wife however hated it and forbid me to even consider any new Ford. That was her and my first and probably only Ford. Are all Fords bad? no. Was our Ford bad, it had it's moments, but there were a lot of things I liked about it and I thought were done really well.

This is our first Subaru and I wouldn't be too surprised if this Ascent turns out to be a PIA for whatever reason, I will be forbidden to buy another Subaru. Time will tell. So far, so good. So far, she's open to the idea of a Subaru when her current car is up for replacement.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh noes...somebody's ranting on the internet! I must correct them so that the internet will then be fixed! :LOL:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Basing opinions on car companies off of one car is actually pretty common and I've heard many people say "never again" or "this will be the last ____ I will ever own". An example; My last 3-row was a Ford Explorer and I would have been happy looking into another as an replacement. My wife however hated it and forbid me to even consider any new Ford. That was her and my first and probably only Ford. Are all Fords bad? no. Was our Ford bad, it had it's moments, but there were a lot of things I liked about it and I thought were done really well.

This is our first Subaru and I wouldn't be too surprised if this Ascent turns out to be a PIA for whatever reason, I will be forbidden to buy another Subaru. Time will tell. So far, so good. So far, she's open to the idea of a Subaru when her current car is up for replacement.
It's fine for anyone to base their own personal decisions upon their own experiences, even if they are wrong. They're not hurting anyone but themselves. What's not fine is to come onto a car forum and call a car model or a manufacturer "total trash" based upon one individual's experience when the facts show the opposite.

This has been said many times but it continually needs repeating, forums are magnets for posting problems over praise. This is not indicative of the actual reliability of any car. For that, you need big data. Right now the big data currently available shows the Ascent as highly reliable. Mine has been so far. If that ever changes, then and only then, people will have a basis to state accurate conclusions to the contrary.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Oh noes...somebody's ranting on the internet! I must correct them so that the internet will then be fixed! :LOL:
Well, it's either that or to give up trying and let the internet be totally taken over by ranters and trolls. That day may come, but I'm not ready to give up on it just yet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.