Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Saturday we have an appt for a test drive! I am so excited!
Where are you located geographically? Trying to figure out if Northern California is really THE LAST STOP on the Ascent tour or if it just feels like it.
Tallahassee had it last week and I got an email saying Jacksonville has it from yesterday (5/9) through this weekend.

And another email from Joseph Subaru in KY saying they'll have it from May 29th through June 1st.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, my husband and I got to do a very short test drive, maybe about 5 miles. The roads were horrible and we were really impressed with how quiet the cabin was and how smooth the ride was. I probably barely got to 50mph, but i was pleasantly surprised by the get up and go it has.I felt like I should be sitting up a bit higher, but I am coming for a full sized SUV, so this is more than likely just a matter of me getting used to a smaller vehicle. The other thing that struck me was that the steering wheel feels like there is no resistance. Does that make sense? Could be that we were going lower speeds and the power steering assist is more than I'm used to. All and all, I liked it even more than when I saw it at the auto show and now I'm even more excited and impatient. Sales guy says Subaru is still saying late June early July.

I had to laugh...My husband and I looked like Subaru commercial. We had been at a charity event all day, bringing kids kayaking. So we show up all sun burnt and sandy, with two kayaks on the Outback and a dog. The sales guy, to his credit, told us to bring the dog on our drive.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Does the Ascent have different driving modes? Eco, Comfort, Sport?
It has X-Mode with Hill Descent Control standard, Active Torque Vectoring on BOTH inside wheels in an understeer situation, with the CVT giving you an 8 speed manual mode.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe we can drain a little power steering fluid out to stiffen up the steering wheel a bit?

Just kidding, probably shouldn't do that... ?
let us know how that goes! :tango_face_surprise:smile:

·
Registered
243 Posts
The other thing that struck me was that the steering wheel feels like there is no resistance. Does that make sense? Could be that we were going lower speeds and the power steering assist is more than I'm used to.
This description reminds me on old Crown Vic we used to drive as a service car. This was basically a land yacht...and the steering felt over-assisted.

·
Registered
967 Posts
This description reminds me on old Crown Vic we used to drive as a service car. This was basically a land yacht...and the steering felt over-assisted.
I think if you haven't driven a car with EPAS before, you don't quite know what to make of it when you do.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think if you haven't driven a car with EPAS before, you don't quite know what to make of it when you do.
Probably. It didn't feel bad, just not what I'm used to.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Electric power steering has a different feel than the old school belt driven pump found on the old full size SUVs based on trucks.

At lower speeds most Electric power steering systems change the boost to make the effort to turn fairly light and as speed increases they lower the assistance to add weight to the steering feel and help make the driving effort less sensitive/ twitchy etc. The negative is that feed back to the driver isn’t as good as the traditional power steering systems.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Electric power steering has a different feel than the old school belt driven pump found on the old full size SUVs based on trucks.

At lower speeds most Electric power steering systems change the boost to make the effort to turn fairly light and as speed increases they lower the assistance to add weight to the steering feel and help make the driving effort less sensitive/ twitchy etc. The negative is that feed back to the driver isn’t as good as the traditional power steering systems.
I did notice that it was much easier to turn sharply. The SUV was backed into a display spot in front of the building. The salesperson says ok, turn right. so I started to turn right and then he says 'oh, no, I mean left!' very easy to spin the wheel.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The steering feel was very light at slow speeds - even for EPAS (which all my current cars have). I will pay more attention to it when I drive it again next week. I hope to get it up to higher HWY speeds to see if it does stiffen up a bit at speed.

It's not necessarily bad just something I noticed from first setting off from the dealer lot. Again it's not a race car where steering feel/weight is desirable but I always enjoy some road feedback through the wheel to know what the car is doing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts