Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a previous post, I noted that we traded-in our 2019 Ascent Touring for a two-row SUV. What we bought was a nicely-equipped 2021 Lexus RX 450H (hybrid). The day after we closed the deal, I received an email from the Subaru dealer from whom we bought the 2019 Ascent notifying me that we were eligible for a special deal ("The Subaru TradeUp Advantage Program"). For a mere $19,206, we could trade our 2019 Touring for a new 2021 Touring.

That's about $1,000 more than the trade difference we paid when buying the Lexus. Who knew a Lexus RX 450H was cheaper than a Subaru Ascent?

o_O

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
484 Posts
It's marketing. They play the odds. If they sold 60000 2019's and 1% bite on the "deal", they've sold 600 more cars. They might as well just send y0u an "easy" button in the mail.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,628 Posts
Those deals are more valuable to folks who own outright, but are not necessarily great for anyone that has an outstanding loan because it's the number plus what's owed that the new vehicle will cost.

Reactions: HeyChris

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those deals are more valuable to folks who own outright, but are not necessarily great for anyone that has an outstanding loan because it's the number plus what's owed that the new vehicle will cost.
We paid cash. The dealership should know that. Duh!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited with Technology
9 Posts
something doesn't add up here... the Ascent stickers out (nicely equipped) at around $45k vs. the RX450H in the $60K plus range... more than $15K difference... If you are saying they gave you $x.xx as a trade value at Subaru yet you got $x.xx + $15K at Lexus, the numbers don't foot... even if Subaru was lowballing you, $15K is too much of a difference. A trade on a 2019 is in the $30K range... you claim it is paid off, so that means they were looking at $49K for the 2021 Ascent ($30K + 19K)... again, those numbers don't foot... you can negotiate a 2021 Touring for around $42K these days...

Assuming a $15K swing on the price between the Ascent vs. the Lexus (MSRP to MSRP and I actually think the swing is more) when new... look at two year old ones and see what you are at (we know the Ascent from a 2021 for $45K dropped to $30K for the 2019 model year, a mere $15K depreciation... then you look at a 2021 RX450h at $62K drops to $37K for a 2019 of $25K in depreciation).

So in the end, the Subaru cost $7,500 per year to drive vs. the Lexus at $12,500 a year to drive... know matter how you slice and dice it... the Subaru, while not as sexy as the Lexus, is the financial better option. Not saying the Lexus isn't worth nearly twice the cost annually... but that's up to the individual.

Put Safety, Insurance Costs, Maintenance, etc. into the mix and the Subaru will beat the overpriced Toyota hands down - it's not even close.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I’ve been getting similar emails from my dealer as well.The deals presented has me paying more monthly than what I’m currently paying and the deals aren’t even for the ‘21’s.At this time I’m stuck with the Ascent for at least another 2 yrs as I owe to much ,by then I should be able to make something happen financially.
Incredible how these sales ppl would actually send out a email with deals having you paying more and not even offer the newest model year. 🤦🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
something doesn't add up here... the Ascent stickers out (nicely equipped) at around $45k vs. the RX450H in the $60K plus range... more than $15K difference... If you are saying they gave you $x.xx as a trade value at Subaru yet you got $x.xx + $15K at Lexus, the numbers don't foot... even if Subaru was lowballing you, $15K is too much of a difference. A trade on a 2019 is in the $30K range... you claim it is paid off, so that means they were looking at $49K for the 2021 Ascent ($30K + 19K)... again, those numbers don't foot... you can negotiate a 2021 Touring for around $42K these days...

Assuming a $15K swing on the price between the Ascent vs. the Lexus (MSRP to MSRP and I actually think the swing is more) when new... look at two year old ones and see what you are at (we know the Ascent from a 2021 for $45K dropped to $30K for the 2019 model year, a mere $15K depreciation... then you look at a 2021 RX450h at $62K drops to $37K for a 2019 of $25K in depreciation).

So in the end, the Subaru cost $7,500 per year to drive vs. the Lexus at $12,500 a year to drive... know matter how you slice and dice it... the Subaru, while not as sexy as the Lexus, is the financial better option. Not saying the Lexus isn't worth nearly twice the cost annually... but that's up to the individual.

Put Safety, Insurance Costs, Maintenance, etc. into the mix and the Subaru will beat the overpriced Toyota hands down - it's not even close.
Here are some real-world numbers: the 2021 Ascent Touring they offered stickers at $47,900; the 2021 Lexus RX 450H we bought stickers at $52,500. After discounts, the sale price on the RX was about $48,000. Deducting what they gave us for the Ascent as a trade-in and adding back sales tax, doc fees, title, registration, etc., the net was about $18,200.

A similarly equipped 2019 RX 450H (sans CarPlay which wasn't available) stickered for around $51K I have no knowledge of what the typical discount from MSRP may have been, but probably in the range of $3-$5K. Being conservative, assume it's a mere $3K. So, a sale price two years ago of about $48,000. KBB.com estimates the trade-in value on that 2019 RX at about $36,800. That's a little over $11K depreciation, not $25K.

If I assume the Ascent offered was discounted (a conservative) 6% to a net price of $45K, this suggests the dealer was offering me somewhere in the neighborhood of a little over $27K in trade for our 2019 Touring. Less than that if the discount was higher than 6%. That's over $14K in depreciation over two years. Such a deal!

First year maintenance on the Lexus is complimentary. Pickup and delivery for scheduled maintenance is complimentary as long as we own the car.

BTW, with our insurer, the Ascent Touring and RX have almost the same annual premium - both of us have excellent driving records.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2001 Forester
428 Posts
Read the fine print of the offer. I just looked at mine in the app and it shows the MSRP. So no discount for the Subaru.

Also, mine mentions a new lease, which is odd since mine is not a lease....

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2001 Forester
428 Posts
One other note. The Subaru app shows you your guaranteed trade in value (really just bluebook).

So MSRP - GTD = your offer

No magic, just marketing :)

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
529 Posts
If I assume the Ascent offered was discounted (a conservative) 6% to a net price of $45K, this suggests the dealer was offering me somewhere in the neighborhood of a little over $27K in trade for our 2019 Touring. Less than that if the discount was higher than 6%. That's over $14K in depreciation over two years. Such a deal!
I presume the Subaru deal presented is not "their best offer". It's likely at MSRP on the new one and a low-ball trade on yours. KBB.com suggests trade value for a 2019 Touring with 24,000 miles near me to be $30-33k in excellent condition or down to $28-31k in good condition. $27k wouldn't surprise me as an opening offer on a trade that they haven't even seen. If your vehicle is in excellent condition and with low miles, it's very possible that that could be negotiated way up.

You received a "phishing" ad -- they have no knowledge of your actual vehicle and condition (other than they have a record of you buying a 2019 Ascent Touring). I'm very certain that offer was not personalized in any way -- even by linking to how much mileage they may think you have on it through any service records. If you really wanted to trade a 2019 on a 2021, I'm very sure you could get the price differential to much lower than $19k.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[QUOTE="hokiefyd, post: 154634, member: 12048"

You received a "phishing" ad -- they have no knowledge of your actual vehicle and condition (other than they have a record of you buying a 2019 Ascent Touring). I'm very certain that offer was not personalized in any way -- even by linking to how much mileage they may think you have on it through any service records. If you really wanted to trade a 2019 on a 2021, I'm very sure you could get the price differential to much lower than $19k.
[/QUOTE]

I am certain that, if I had wanted a 2021 Ascent, I could have negotiated a lower price differential with the Subaru dealer, but that's not the point. What I don't get is this kind of marketing - making an existing customer an unsolicited, crappy offer and expecting the customer to feel warm and fuzzy about Subaru. In point of fact, such a tactic is likely to drive away at least some existing customers.

I don't believe this offer was generated by the dealer. Probably a third-party vendor hired by SoA and/or the dealer to solicit business. Whomever hired this marketing firm should have a little talk with them.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You received a "phishing" ad -
That term is normally used for communications from nefarious folks who purport to be an entity they are not while trying to glean information/access from you to steal your identity or your money. These come-ons are certainly marketing things, but they at least are not dangerous, unless you are one who implus buys without checking prices. :) :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That term is normally used for communications from nefarious folks who purport to be an entity they are not while trying to glean information/access from you to steal your identity or your money. These come-ons are certainly marketing things, but they at least are not dangerous, unless you are one who implus buys without checking prices. :) :D
The email I received had the email address of the sales manager of the dealership as the sender. When I clicked on the link, it sent me to the dealer's website which confirmed the offer. Wasn't a "phishing" expedition as best I can tell.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Exactly...it's just a "creative" marketing thing to get folks to consider making a move earlier than is typical with a lot of people. "$19K" or whatever it is is a lot more attractive number than shopping at "full price", even though it's a bogus number. (My offer had been $14K something until the one this past week where it creeped up to $15K something) They send the same email out monthly or something like that around here. I recycled the ones and zeros as I'm not buying another vehicle anytime soon and the one I have will be fully paid for in a year as I took advantage of my SS payment and did a three year loan at a very low interest rate from PenFed.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
529 Posts
Yes, sorry...I used the cybersecurity spelling of "phishing" rather than the more colloquial "fishing". They're just looking to see who'll bite.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts