Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Where's my snow!

Just missed another snowstorm here on the east coast. I was looking forward to trying her out in the snow but its really looking like this year it isnt happening :sad:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Finally had our first real snowstorm here in Western NY... about a foot of snow or so over the past 24 hours.

Still rocking the stock all-season tires, and I gotta say, the Ascent handles like a DREAM. Admittedly, we know how to plow and treat roads around here... but I drove around town quite a bit, and I couldn't be happier with the handling.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So first snow fall in the East Coast and wanted to know how the ascent and stock tires did. Unfortunately I had some major surgery this past Monday and I am restricted from driving for about 2 weeks :crying: Lets hear some feedback!
Take it slow. Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
My Ascent did amazing, in two days of upstate NY blizzards.

Finally had our first real snowstorm here in Western NY... about a foot of snow or so over the past 24 hours.

Still rocking the stock all-season tires, and I gotta say, the Ascent handles like a DREAM. Admittedly, we know how to plow and treat roads around here... but I drove around town quite a bit, and I couldn't be happier with the handling.
It was such a fun storm! My Ascent handled amazingly!

https://www.facebook.com/SubaruAmbassadorRobert/videos/2087637528193851/?__xts__[0]=68.ARANjVRAyLr0NcyusL3MqD06TIA_L94k0FbKUfApIjFDvUirmYJ1aTfOHIbkeHlSlelyD55xyfIGpU4AHDWpJTqbbNAzb1MLMqb7_DuYftgw8DlU57pyqgA93nKU90pxSimrStJyiI3uf92X9CeascResVorXC_2ZRuB3JGgV8zZyt9DEtlXgcgfjMpyOGrihYEtjvZ3TFlUdNl9YHhhBDeJGT701mIXG-2ERh-GaMEhQXUIPqdWNHZ1P0Ig60D_XxewNu6hNMqWluMBP9G1wF24kCmMP6vgnpAcoJpez9wFHUeJZuphDP9P9xNgHPkcQ4MZgtHke3yzXMdyKkAX9NxXDwzAuUjkz6HU5JfN&__tn__=-R

·
Registered
562 Posts
Does great in the snow and would be an animal with good tires like some winter rated ones or at least All Weather tires.

....but just like my Legacy the starter has a hard time turning over the engine when cold...but we're talking below 20 degrees. Too bad Toyota doesn't share their starters with Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Have your battery checked out...

Does great in the snow and would be an animal with good tires like some winter rated ones or at least All Weather tires.

....but just like my Legacy the starter has a hard time turning over the engine when cold...but we're talking below 20 degrees. Too bad Toyota doesn't share their starters with Subaru.

Have your battery checked out. I just did 3 days of -8° to a whopping high temperature of 24° and it started fine, every time.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Have your battery checked out. I just did 3 days of -8° to a whopping high temperature of 24° and it started fine, every time.
It's starts fine...just sounds like it's struggling and takes an extra 1-2sec. I think the battery is good and i can live with it for now....but i know a low battery can shorten the life of a starter so if it gets any worse i'll have it checked.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
It's starts fine...just sounds like it's struggling and takes an extra 1-2sec. I think the battery is good and i can live with it for now....but i know a low battery can shorten the life of a starter so if it gets any worse i'll have it checked.
Def keep an eye on it and please keep us posted. I've not experienced any of that, even at the brutal temps I just spent a 3 day weekend in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in Alaska, and have actually have been really impressed with the handling in the snow. I barely notice the snow and ice, and I'm used to 4-Wheel drive Jeeps. I've tried sliding several times and was very impressed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
First post! Just picked up the new Ascent over a week ago, just off the truck!

I'm in Erie, PA, which can be from 100-200 inch of snow a year in all forms, plus the occasional thaws, ice, slush. We also live where snowplows don't come by often. I'm an experienced driver in snow for 35 years.

The OEM Falken tires have good grip in fresh snow and powdery snow when it is above 25F. On ice, ice under snow, packed smooth snow, or at temperatures under 25F I would classify them as non-usable to dangerous. I was hoping to get through February with the fresh all-season Falkens, as we have a Limited, and winter tires in that size are pricey, but after this mornings drive of the kids to school I'm ordering some winter tires.

My vehicle is a 14 Jeep GC and run Sumitomo snows. Nothing bothers those tires. Similar AWD set-up to the Subaru with QTII.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This Ascent is amazing in the snow! I drive a over a pass every day here in Washington State, which can get pretty white knuckle-ly at times. We have the limited model with stock tires and rims, would like to find a more all terrain tire though, but hard to find in the 20".

·
Registered
978 Posts
Test challenge for you Ascent guys. Two weeks ago we were up in Tahoe skiing. I parked nose in along the road at this particular resort thats an option. The plowed snow was pushed past the edge of the pavement. I dropped on front tire off the 4inch pavement edge three were still on dry clear pavement. I could not get the cvt to power the other three tires enough to back out of the spot. A tow strap and very small pull got me out.

Yes TC was off and on tried both at no point was there ever enough power to spin a tire! Simply mashed throttle to the floor working the steering wheel back and forth would not get me backed out of the hole I dropped one front tire into.

The Forester owner two cars over told me he did the exact same thing the day before and two guys pushing while he floored it got him out.

This is a CVT / torque converter stall physical limitation issue with the design.

I would be curious to see if the Ascent behaves the same way. This single front tire off the edge of a 4inch pavement lip resting on flat surface with all 3 other tires on dry pavement zero traction problems situation sucked. I know for sure had I backed in and dropped one rear tire off I would have easily pulled forward with zero issues and even spun a tire or two if traction wasn’t great.

Id love to see someone test backing out of that type of situation to see if Subaru has changed how the cvt/torque converter behaves when it requires quite a bit of power to pull a tire out of a hole in reverse.

The Diesel Colorado parked next to me on stock tires did the same thing but he dropped both front tires off the pavement. As we were loading up they were backing out. Spun their rear tires. Got out realized what he had done I told him I did the same thing but got pulled out in the morning. He put it in 4x4 high and backed out with some minor rear wheel slippage.

There were two mini vans stuck the same way farther down as we left both were getting tow strap pulls to get free.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having KO2's put on tomorrow and while not a true winter tire I've found it to be rather remarkable in heavy snow on my Crosstrek and even decent on light ice. Should have the KO2's properly tested in snow by the end of the next week or two and will report back. Hopefully they do just as well on the Ascent as they did on the lighter Crosstrek.
Did you get the KO2's, and if so, what size did you go with? Which rims?

OK, up front, I'm a Texan about to comment on snow. Why not, it's the internet and my keyboard is working.

Our family makes trips up to southern Colorado: Durango, Crested Butte, and Pagosa Springs (Wolf Creek). Before our new year's trip, I drove my '04 Grand Cherokee with the KO2's. The GC had jeep's version of "all" wheel drive / fulltime 4x4, and did well in the conditions then, which were mild.

This year, we took the Ascent up. Our plan was leaving Austin on Dec 30 to get to Santa Fe, then drive the remaining 3 hours to Pagosa Springs on Dec 31 morning. The big snowstorm that dumped on northern NM and CO was just starting up, and they were predicting horrible conditions once it started. On Dec 31, the storm started a few hours later than predicted, so we decided to bolt to Pagosa Springs before it got bad, but would turn around at the first issue. We made it fine, it snowed all the way but not bad, still good road conditions. Once in Pagosa Springs, it snowed all day, all night, and in the morning there was about 10" of snow. CO doesn't screw around with clearing their roads, especially those to the ski areas, and they already had it plowed. The ascent plowed through the snow from our cabin to the highway, and we skied all day during the snow storm. Cabin is at 7500', skiing was at 10,500'. Total snow dumped at Wolf Creek these two days was close to 30" IIRC.

The lowest temp that week was -16F; the lowest temp we started the Ascent to head up the mountain was -11F, rising to 24F at the ski area. Later in the week the highway conditions started to get worse with the warmer days creating ice patches. The two times I hit these patches, we could feel the Ascent slide just a little bit, but it was able to sort itself fine. So I don't know if it was the stability system doing that, or the patches were just that small.

In town, it was of course snowy, slushy, and sometimes icy. The city keeps it plowed well, and the parking lots are usually the worst. The Ascent handled it all fine, no surprise that it found grip if it was there.

We left Pagosa Springs on Jan 4, to drive back all the way (13hrs plus stops). This was slow going at first due to a buildup of ice on the highways, but we just kept our speed reasonable for the conditions (30-40mph) and took our time. I didn't feel any slipping in these areas, and conditions just improved as we neared NM.

Total trip mileage was about 1800 miles, averaging 24mpg. Stock M+S tires on 20" rims.

We don't normally do such long drives at once, partly due to kids, and partly due to comfort, but the Ascent is a very comfortable car for us. In the conditions we were in, the Ascent did very well. There was only that one day where I had to drive through unplowed snow, and it was nothing.

The last thought I have is about preparedness. I looked at grabbing some cables before our trip just in case CO required them, but my understanding was that by the time a Subaru would be required to have cables, CO highways would be closed. We did have food, water, and blankets because of that storm threat, just in case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I picked up my Ascent on January 11th, so I've had it just over two weeks. I live in the mountains of Colorado, near Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mountain, etc. and I drive back and forth to Denver quite a bit.

The day I picked up the Ascent, I stopped halfway up my driveway to look for the garage door opener. I slipped and slid before I got traction to continue up the driveway. I took my 4runner to the same spot and got up the driveway with no problem. Then I took the Ascent back to the same spot and gently pressed the accelerator. This time I made it up with no problem. One other time on that first day, I slid a little while turning onto a side street.

Since then, I have had zero issues while driving on all types of snow and ice. It's been a snowy couple of weeks. The car hasn't been clean since it left the lot.

In summary, it doesn't have quite the traction that I have in the 4runner with All-Terrain tires. Knowing that and adjusting accordingly, it has been very reliable and safe. I plan to stay with the stock tires the rest of the winter. I may swap them out next year.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Question...

Test challenge for you Ascent guys. Two weeks ago we were up in Tahoe skiing. I parked nose in along the road at this particular resort thats an option. The plowed snow was pushed past the edge of the pavement. I dropped on front tire off the 4inch pavement edge three were still on dry clear pavement. I could not get the cvt to power the other three tires enough to back out of the spot. A tow strap and very small pull got me out.
So, flat pavement, dropping to a lower flat pavement. Rear wheels on higher ground, one front wheel on higher ground, other front wheel on 4" lower ground?

Or the other way around, with one wheel trying to climb to higher ground?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Live in Michigan...driven in 30-ish Michigan winters, so I'm kinda familar with snow ;) We picked up the Ascent with snow/ice on the roads, just got 10" of the stuff on Monday. We have a Premium, on the stock tires. Not 20's, what are they, 18's?

So...acceptance driving before we signed, I put it on snowy/icy roads in town, turned the wheel and gassed it hard (HARD) a few times to try and MAKE it go sideways. Once, it started to rotate, then chirped one front brake and I was straight again. A couple of times I could make it go sideways...then was straight again with really no input from me. Really, a great-behaving car in the snow.

ABS works great on snow/ice, as far as I can tell. Stomped the brakes on an empty, icy road at about 20...and just stopped. No drama.

After our 10" blizzard, I had to go get a snowblower belt. T'was like the roads were just bumpy. Plow drifts you more hear than feel. No disturbing our straight line on the road. And...to drop our kids off at school, we have to go up a hill, then turn left onto a road in the middle of that hill...which continues uphill. Steep, like not mountainy steep, but steep. And some yahoo plow guy was plowing a driveway out into the road.

So we went through the pile of snow, up the hill, slowed, turned, gassed it up the side road. Then I stopped on the hill. Then I took off again. Spun a little. Was drama-free.

My wife says on glare ice on the freeway with a 20mph crosswind, she was blown toward the shoulder...but it stayed straight.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts