Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an appointment on Monday to have the dealer look at the Ascent.

Someone literally decided they didnt want to wait in traffic and pulled into the on-coming lane, speeding to beat on-coming traffic, and glanced off the front wheel of our 2019 Ascent. We were getting ready to turn at a traffic light and were pulling forward into the turn... bam!

Her car didnt fair so well against a Subaru 20 inch wheel:

Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting

The only visible / obvious damage to our car:

Wheel Blue Automotive tire Yellow Alloy wheel

The alignment is messed up... as I’m sure other stuff is too.

Question: Anyone know what the most likely damaged parts are in the car?

(I’m really hoping there isn’t fame damage...)

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
They should check the control arm, stabilizer link, tie rod, maybe even the wheel bearing, shock absorber, ball joints and any of the various fasteners that hold all those together.
The dealer should know what to look for and those pics may even help if you show them.

It looks like sheet metal damage on the Hyundai so I wouldn’t worry about your frame.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
417 Posts
That sucks, sounds like no one was hurt which is good. I had a co- worker killed in the crosswalk by that same maneuver, this time it wasn't a Hyundai but an F-250, he didn't have a chance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
F-250... oh man... nothing would be good, but... ugh.

Yeah no one was hurt I was more surprised like “what the hell Who is that??”

It happened so fast and I didn’t even see her.

Reactions: rlb81

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It will add up quickly but in the scheme of things, the damage is small. Wheel, tire, fender, bumper cover for sure. In addition, check the light housing, control arms, wheel bearing, brakes and anything connected to the wheel. Check to make sure the damage did not push into the hood.

Explore diminished value compensation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This may be of interest to some. I had a 2007 Subaru Legacy wagon. A couple years back a lady stopped abruptly in her Lincoln Navigator to drop off her kid in a NO STOPPING zone. A Honda Civic stopped within an inch of the SUV. I stopped within an inch of the Civic. The cube truck behind me was not so lucky. BAM, BAM, BAM! Of the 4 vehicles involved in the accident, my Legacy wagon was the only one that did not have to be towed to the police station. A year later I sold the car to the shop that repaired it (I live in Toronto so I was concerned about the rust potential). Just a few weeks back (four years after the sale) I found that the shop still uses the car for deliveries.:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know my 2013 outback was nearly indestructible. Not sure how tough the ascent really is...

I’m taking it over to the dealer tomorrow to have them evaluate all the damage

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car is at the dealer, and since it’s an insurance claim the first thing they’re going to do is put it on the alignment machine and see just how out of whack the front end is.

I basically told them that if they even suspect something is wrong with a component that it should be replaced.

i’m working through the insurance company now to try to figure out who they’re going to assess plane for the accident. However, given theFact that the lady was driving the wrong way in the opposite lane of traffic…

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealer inspected the car we’re talking the rim itself and two bent tie rods.

really not as bad as I thought it would be.

Now it’s just a matter of waiting for the insurance company to figure out who they consider to be at blame… Which given that the other look person was traveling on the wrong side of the road at a high rate of speed...

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Car is at the dealer, and since it’s an insurance claim the first thing they’re going to do is put it on the alignment machine and see just how out of whack the front end is.

I basically told them that if they even suspect something is wrong with a component that it should be replaced.

i’m working through the insurance company now to try to figure out who they’re going to assess plane for the accident. However, given theFact that the lady was driving the wrong way in the opposite lane of traffic…
for some driving is an ongoing challenge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.