Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the Hella horns to install on both the Ascent and Impreza. Going to go with 4 horns on the Ascent. I have the Magnetite Gray paint and am partial to orange.
Would you go with the 4 oranges....

Or maybe Silver, Orange, Orange, Silver?

Or Orange, Silver, Silver, Orange?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same I think that would look good. Please do write up and let us know how it goes.
Yes please do a write up on how you install them. I am interested in these also.
Sorry it has been so long. I get busy and then try to do too many things at once. Here is an in work shot of the installed horns.

I have no idea how they fit with the bumper as I am doing some dipping at the same time today. I do know that they are LAF!!!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have no idea how they fit with the bumper as I am doing some dipping at the same time today. I do know that they are LAF!!!
4 horns has got to be loud! I’d ask for a video but it probably wouldn’t do it justice.
My wife thought I was honking at people the other day. It was an actual train ?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4 horns has got to be loud! I’d ask for a video but it probably wouldn’t do it justice.
My wife thought I was honking at people the other day. It was an actual train ?
Well, it is pretty loud. I really should disconnect them to test one at a time to make sure they all are firing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tested them all individually and they all work. Here is a poor quality garage pic of the horns with the "new" black dipped grille and the copper dipped fog accents (I need to redo one, but not today). I'll post better pics tomorrow in the sun and driveway.

Write-up will be in the next post.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I tested them all individually and they all work. Here is a poor quality garage pic of the horns with the "new" black dipped grille and the copper dipped fog accents (I need to redo one, but not today). I'll post better pics tomorrow in the sun and driveway.

View attachment 1099

View attachment 1100

Write-up will be in the next post.
You should delete these and block out your plate number ASAP.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So this kit was purchased from subimods.com. I would suggest calling them to get the items needed. You need the following:
  • 4 horns in your color of choice
  • 1 quad-horn bracket
  • 1 harness (be sure it is one with the spade trigger)
  • 1 mounting bolt and spacer (like the one that comes with their dual bracket kit)
The original horns I purchased were orange, but I ended up dipping them to copper to match the new trim color. I also needed an impact driver to remove the bolt on the back of the horns. This is needed to remove the Hella brackets and to mount the horns to the subimods quad bracket. You can do all of this before touching the Ascent.

For the Ascent work, you need to remove the bumper. From the FSM:
  1. Disconnect the ground on the battery (I didn't)
  2. Remove the Air intake duct on the passenger side by unscrewing the 2 pop-its. (not sure it is needed, but I did it anyway)
  3. If you have the Touring, you need to disconnect the front camera. On the driver side I cut the tape holding the harness and slid off the connector from the holder.
  4. Now the fun part, removing the all the pop-its. There are 9 underneath the bumper, 1 in the upper part of each fender well, and 8 along the top along the grille area.
  5. Once all the pop-its are removed, you can remove the bumper. Doing 1 side at a time, push up from the bottom of the bumper and remove the engagement "clips" starting from the wheel well and moving along the head light. There should be 9 "clips" to disengage.
  6. If you have fog lights, you need to reach in and disconnect them after the first five or so clips are disengaged.
  7. After you have done both sides, you can set the bumper out of the way.
Now for the horns....
  1. With the bumper removed, you can see the stock horns in front of both wheels. Disconnect the horns and remove them entirely if desired. I removed them and electrical taped the passenger side connector.
  2. If you have a trim higher than the Base, you will see the transmission cooler mounted to the center support. That hole is the hole I used. Remove the stock bolt.
  3. Mount the bracket with horns attached using the longer bolt and spacer using the bottom hole in the bracket. Level as best you can.
  4. Now you route the harness and mount the relay. I mounted the relay on the driver's side using zip ties to a vacant mounting hole in the lower grille area. You will see it.
  5. Now connect each horn. If you want to, do one at a time if you want to see if they all work. I did, but this is not necessary.
  6. Attache the horn trigger wire from the harness to where the driver's side horn connected.
  7. Now route the power wires to the battery, connecting the negative side first.
  8. Power on, but do not start the car and test the horns! If all is good, re-attach the bumper and go startle people. I recommend an extra set of hands to reattach the bumper. I had my wife and kids help so as to not scratch the paint and get things properly aligned.
  9. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The copper showed up better in this pic too.nice accent. The horns are very subtle.are all 4 horns different tones?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The copper showed up better in this pic too.nice accent. The horns are very subtle.are all 4 horns different tones?
A box comes with 2 horns and the 2 horns within the set are different tones. So, between the 4, there are 2 tones total.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So this kit was purchased from subimods.com. I would suggest calling them to get the items needed. You need the following:
  • 4 horns in your color of choice
  • 1 quad-horn bracket
  • 1 harness (be sure it is one with the spade trigger)
  • 1 mounting bolt and spacer (like the one that comes with their dual bracket kit)
The original horns I purchased were orange, but I ended up dipping them to copper to match the new trim color. I also needed an impact driver to remove the bolt on the back of the horns. This is needed to remove the Hella brackets and to mount the horns to the subimods quad bracket. You can do all of this before touching the Ascent.

For the Ascent work, you need to remove the bumper. From the FSM:
  1. Disconnect the ground on the battery (I didn't)
  2. Remove the Air intake duct on the passenger side by unscrewing the 2 pop-its. (not sure it is needed, but I did it anyway)
  3. If you have the Touring, you need to disconnect the front camera. On the driver side I cut the tape holding the harness and slid off the connector from the holder.
  4. Now the fun part, removing the all the pop-its. There are 9 underneath the bumper, 1 in the upper part of each fender well, and 8 along the top along the grille area.
  5. Once all the pop-its are removed, you can remove the bumper. Doing 1 side at a time, push up from the bottom of the bumper and remove the engagement "clips" starting from the wheel well and moving along the head light. There should be 9 "clips" to disengage.
  6. If you have fog lights, you need to reach in and disconnect them after the first five or so clips are disengaged.
  7. After you have done both sides, you can set the bumper out of the way.
Now for the horns....
  1. With the bumper removed, you can see the stock horns in front of both wheels. Disconnect the horns and remove them entirely if desired. I removed them and electrical taped the passenger side connector.
  2. If you have a trim higher than the Base, you will see the transmission cooler mounted to the center support. That hole is the hole I used. Remove the stock bolt.
  3. Mount the bracket with horns attached using the longer bolt and spacer using the bottom hole in the bracket. Level as best you can.
  4. Now you route the harness and mount the relay. I mounted the relay on the driver's side using zip ties to a vacant mounting hole in the lower grille area. You will see it.
  5. Now connect each horn. If you want to, do one at a time if you want to see if they all work. I did, but this is not necessary.
  6. Attache the horn trigger wire from the harness to where the driver's side horn connected.
  7. Now route the power wires to the battery, connecting the negative side first.
  8. Power on, but do not start the car and test the horns! If all is good, re-attach the bumper and go startle people. I recommend an extra set of hands to reattach the bumper. I had my wife and kids help so as to not scratch the paint and get things properly aligned.
  9. Enjoy!!!
What year /model did you order the quad bracket for?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just finished mounting quad horns this weekend and I have to admit, they sound amazing. I took off the horn covers and plasti-dipped them teal to give them a distinct look on a 2019 Crystal White Pearl Touring and the install wasn't too bad. I went through the top of the engine bay removing all of the plastic pieces. Purchasing the Subimods quad horn bracket, I mounted it right below the hood release bracket so that it sits higher up and wire wrapped all of the wiring to make it look as clean as possible. After having horns on all of my Subaru's (2x WRX's, Legacy GT, 2 Crosstreks, Forster XT and a standard Legacy), I'm a sucker for the hella horns.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts