Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been almost 2 weeks since we got our Ascent and still haven't get a chance to explore it all and been driven only 650 miles.
Anyways, here are my random questions about Ascent...

1. I have the Limited with #23 which includes panaromic roof. I'm just curious to know from others who have the similar package and from Touring owners, is your multi information display screen is showing Ascent digital image without the roof? I thought it's just a simple software mod need to apply to differentiate a vehicle with or without the roof.

2. When I lock my Ascent by pressing the lock button on the fob, it locks with electronic chirp sound and warning lights. If you press the second time it does the same thing. But the third time it makes a big horn kinda sound. Any difference between them?

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's been almost 2 weeks since we got our Ascent and still haven't get a chance to explore it all and been driven only 650 miles.
Anyways, here are my random questions about Ascent...

1. I have the Limited with #23 which includes panaromic roof. I'm just curious to know from others who have the similar package and from Touring owners, is your multi information display screen is showing Ascent digital image without the roof? I thought it's just a simple software mod need to apply to differentiate a vehicle with or without the roof.
They all look like that. There isn't another option.

2. When I lock my Ascent by pressing the lock button on the fob, it locks with electronic chirp sound and warning lights. If you press the second time it does the same thing. But the third time it makes a big horn kinda sound. Any difference between them?
That is to help you locate the car. You push the lock button a bunch of times and it will beep so you can find it. Nothing different is happening to the car.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts

Hi, interesting the lock question came up. I just did a video a few days ago (haven't uploaded it yet) to explain the differences. But here's what the Ascent FOB based lock function actually does on the trim levels I've tested - it's a little known secret.

1. Locks car and beeps
  2. Beeps and turns off interior and exterior lights immediately instead of waiting for the delay.
  3. Honks to help you find the car.

When using the lock strip on the door handle, it acts like this:
  1. Locks car and beeps
  2. Beeps and turns off interior and exterior lights immediately instead of waiting for the delay.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi, interesting the lock question came up. I just did a video a few days ago (haven't uploaded it yet) to explain the differences. But here's what the Ascent FOB based lock function actually does on the trim levels I've tested - it's a little known secret.

1. Locks car and beeps
  3. Honks to help you find the car.

When using the lock strip on the door handle, it acts like this:
  1. Locks car and beeps
Huh. Good find. I noticed the horn beep when I hit it that magical 3rd time (old habit from my Jeep and Hyundai to make sure they were locked)

I'm almost somewhat skeptical of the lock strip on the door handle; I enjoy using it, as it's convenient as heck to not have to use the key but i swear it feels like it's not being locked; maybe im just "weird" like that.

Only having the car since late Friday, I am still getting used to it for sure. I think the hardest thing is getting used to the CVT with the turbo; feels like it lurches ever so slightly (around 40% throttle; not going above 4k RPM right now till break in)

I have noticed a brake smell when I stopped today; Going to assume that is normal given all things. I do notice a clunk sound when the AVH lets go of the brakes (akin to the same thing; still being broken in)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reply. I still wish they change the digital animation of Ascent per trim specific like Touring and Limited's with optional package should have the roof :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question...
Today early morning I remote started my Ascent using the app with 5/5 mins...but I was little late and it turned off after 5 min. But, the infotainment system, exterior lights were ON for about 3-4 mins. I wonder how long the lights will stay on and which may lead to battery drain?

·
Registered
965 Posts
That is to help you locate the car. You push the lock button a bunch of times and it will beep so you can find it. Nothing different is happening to the car.
And of course, the standard car dealership way of finding the car - put the fob up under your chin and hit the panic button ... :angel:

·
Registered
492 Posts
And of course, the standard car dealership way of finding the car - put the fob up under your chin and hit the panic button ... :angel:
Lol, YES!

A lot of people don't know about this little trick. I use it to make sure I locked the car. For example if we had to park at the back of a big parking lot, I can turn back to the car, put the fob under my chin and viola. It goes a lot farther than you'd think and opening your mouth tends to give a little more distance too. Not sure what sort of brain cells you're scrambling though with the fob signal bouncing off the back of your skull like a parabolic reflector, haha.

If you haven't tried it yet, it's really cool to see how far away you can get it to work. Make sure you have good batteries in the fob first. :nerd:

·
Registered
764 Posts
One more question...
Today early morning I remote started my Ascent using the app with 5/5 mins...but I was little late and it turned off after 5 min. But, the infotainment system, exterior lights were ON for about 3-4 mins. I wonder how long the lights will stay on and which may lead to battery drain?
That is worrisome! If you get a chance to play with this a little more, it would be good to know the results. I'll play with mine a little as I think I'm going to be using it more this winter.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Lol, YES!
Not sure what sort of brain cells you're scrambling though with the fob signal bouncing off the back of your skull like a parabolic reflector, haha.

If you haven't tried it yet, it's really cool to see how far away you can get it to work. Make sure you have good batteries in the fob first. :nerd:
It's actually bouncing off the hard palate in the roof of your mouth. (Or in my case, off the top plate of my dentures.) I can typically reach from the door of the dealership out to at least the fifth or sixth row, sometimes out to the row by the street.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's actually bouncing off the hard palate in the roof of your mouth. (Or in my case, off the top plate of my dentures.) I can typically reach from the door of the dealership out to at least the fifth or sixth row, sometimes out to the row by the street.
I don't have these issues. I can look out my window and see every car we have :crying: We're down to 3 outbacks, 2 ascents, 7ish foresters, and maybe 5 crosstreks.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I actually have disabled the chirp sound because I found the "sound" of unlock "beep beep" and lock "beep" to be quite annoying at super early / late hours, especially with our neighbors' windows open. I still get the visual flash to verify it's open/locked, but no beep beep. I can't remember how I did it either, but I'm sure it's around.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
That's why I picked the car color I did

Thank you for the reply. I still wish they change the digital animation of Ascent per trim specific like Touring and Limited's with optional package should have the roof :tango_face_wink:
While my on screen animation doesn't have the moon roof (but my car does), I specifically picked the magnetite grey metallic car so that the animation would match. :grin: :tango_face_wink:

No, not really... but, when I got in the car for the first time, I at first thought that perhaps they actually made the animated car colors on the screen match because it matched mine. I didn't find out until later that I just got lucky it matched mine. :smile_big:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Lol, YES!

A lot of people don't know about this little trick. I use it to make sure I locked the car. For example if we had to park at the back of a big parking lot, I can turn back to the car, put the fob under my chin and viola. It goes a lot farther than you'd think and opening your mouth tends to give a little more distance too. Not sure what sort of brain cells you're scrambling though with the fob signal bouncing off the back of your skull like a parabolic reflector, haha.

I do that with the Remote to open the entryway gate in my community - otherwise I have to be right on top of it for it to work. Was a nice segment testing this on Hack My Life (TruTv network). Here is a video on it:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I actually have disabled the chirp sound because I found the "sound" of unlock "beep beep" and lock "beep" to be quite annoying at super early / late hours, especially with our neighbors' windows open. I still get the visual flash to verify it's open/locked, but no beep beep. I can't remember how I did it either, but I'm sure it's around.
I'd like to know how you disable these sounds. Seems like Japanese cars all make similar lock and unlock sounds and I find it annoying as well.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'd like to know how you disable these sounds. Seems like Japanese cars all make similar lock and unlock sounds and I find it annoying as well.
This might be for 2011's and newer:

Electronic chirp when lock/unlock with remote - To turn off chirp or to turn back on

1. Sit in the driver’s seat and shut all doors and the rear gate.
2. Press the “UNLOCK” power door lock switch.
3. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
4. Hold down the “UNLOCK” switch, pull the key out and re-insert it into the ignition switch at least 5 times within 10 seconds after performing step 2.
5. Open and close the driver’s door within 10 seconds after performing step 4.
6. When completed the turn signal lights flash

People also saying:

" I believe that Step 2 should be:
2. Press and HOLD unlock door switch
3. Insert key
4. Pull key OUT & re-insert it 5 times
5. Open and close driver door.

At least for me, I had to hold down before proceeding to step 3. I wanted to re-enable the beeps."

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
You may wish to refer to page 198 of the manual. Using the toggle control behind the steering wheel on the left side, in the "Vehicle Settings" menu, you can toggle the lock/unlock chirp on or off. Go to the i/SET screen, pull and hold the center toggle lever until in the menu system, and then use the up or down arrows to get to the vehicle settings screen, select it, find the lock/unlock chirp setting and change it as desired.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This might be for 2011's and newer:

Electronic chirp when lock/unlock with remote - To turn off chirp or to turn back on

1. Sit in the driver’s seat and shut all doors and the rear gate.
2. Press the “UNLOCK” power door lock switch.
3. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
4. Hold down the “UNLOCK” switch, pull the key out and re-insert it into the ignition switch at least 5 times within 10 seconds after performing step 2.
5. Open and close the driver’s door within 10 seconds after performing step 4.
6. When completed the turn signal lights flash

People also saying:

" I believe that Step 2 should be:
2. Press and HOLD unlock door switch
3. Insert key
4. Pull key OUT & re-insert it 5 times
5. Open and close driver door.

At least for me, I had to hold down before proceeding to step 3. I wanted to re-enable the beeps."
So how would you do perform steps 3 and 4 with a Push to Start/Stop button?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
So how would you do perform steps 3 and 4 with a Push to Start/Stop button?
Not necessary. You may wish to refer to page 198 of the manual. Using the toggle control behind the steering wheel on the left side, in the "Vehicle Settings" menu, you can toggle the lock/unlock chirp on or off. Go to the i/SET screen, pull and hold the center toggle lever until in the menu system, and then use the up or down arrows to get to the vehicle settings screen, select it, find the lock/unlock chirp setting and change it as desired.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not necessary. You may wish to refer to page 198 of the manual. Using the toggle control behind the steering wheel on the left side, in the "Vehicle Settings" menu, you can toggle the lock/unlock chirp on or off. Go to the i/SET screen, pull and hold the center toggle lever until in the menu system, and then use the up or down arrows to get to the vehicle settings screen, select it, find the lock/unlock chirp setting and change it as desired.
Yes, I saw your response before. I was just trying to address a question those with start/stop buttons might have with the procedure. :grin:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts