Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to a family function in Florida, I stopped to camp in Ocala National Forest, and do some off roading in the sand pits there.

I've heard "bad" things about these sand pits, including some 4x4s getting bogged down. My Ascent breezed through it with ease.

Here's a small video clip of one of my runs through the pit and sand trails...

#Subaru #SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
That's right up the road from where my mother's life care community is in Altoona. :) 'Glad you had a good time! I've heard of that area, but have never been there, either with the Grand Cherokee I used to drive or with my Ascent...not that I've ever done any kind of off roading. LOL

Safe travels...

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
261 Posts
next time you are down...let me know...we are always up for an adventure!!!

The question is...what tires were you running?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
next time you are down...let me know...we are always up for an adventure!!!

The question is...what tires were you running?
BF Goodrich KO2s. I am thoroughly loving them, except for the one on the roof that's eating 7 mpg.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Robert, did you need to deflate some tire pressure to run in this sand?

On my way to a family function in Florida, I stopped to camp in Ocala National Forest, and do some off roading in the sand pits there.

I've heard "bad" things about these sand pits, including some 4x4s getting bogged down. My Ascent breezed through it with ease.

Here's a small video clip of one of my runs through the pit and sand trails...

#Subaru #SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
Do you know if an empty roof rack eats into the MPG?
Yes, they will, to varying degrees. No cross rails...no effect relative to the "rated" specifications. Simple cross rails will affect it less than something like the rack that Robert is running will, but some cross rails will drag more than others. Any additional wind resistance will affect fuel economy.

Reactions: jdlstewart

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have never found sand very challenging for any of my subarus or my old dodge w250 and I have never bothered airing down. It seems like as long as you use some uncommon sense you will be just fine, nice video btw. I would love to get our ascent out on some trails, but the wife is adamant about her baby not getting scratched up. One more reason another SUV may be in my future.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What tire size and what did you pressure did you run? I'm assuming you aired down to play in the sand.
Airing down helps more getting over boulders, rocks, etc as it helps the sidewall/tire conform to the terrain. For sand, it really doesn't help much aside from the possibly marginally wider contact patch.

·
Registered
261 Posts
As an aside...never trust your NAV...it sent us down this road up in New Hampshire over the summer in my 2WD Suburban loaded with 8 people. It got sketchy...i had to get down and run down the road to see conditions but i had no choice...had to keep going cause I could turn the beast around! I actually spoke to the wife about lifting the Ascent (as a joke) and she said she wouldn't mind! So running through sand pits, etc may be in my future.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Airing down helps more getting over boulders, rocks, etc as it helps the sidewall/tire conform to the terrain. For sand, it really doesn't help much aside from the possibly marginally wider contact patch.
At 15 PSI that marginally wider contact patch is significantly longer and more compliant. I know when I've rented Jeeps to go on the beach in NC, they were adamant about airing down.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Sorry, that's incorrect. If you don't air down in fine soft sand, you push the sand in front until you can't get over it and start digging yourself in.

Besides having thousands of beach sand miles on my Subies, it's actually the law for state beaches in NY (for that reason) and something oft discussed even in the Jeep world.

Btw, the Jeeps that got stuck in the very spot in the vid didn't think they needed to air down. They were wrong. ?

It's imperative for fine soft deep sand.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wow down to 10 Lbs.. geesh I would have thought the tire would separate from the wheel at pressure that low. I never realized that was the trick to make it work. Does one have to use inner tubes on tires that deflate that much?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow down to 10 Lbs.. geesh I would have thought the tire would separate from the wheel at pressure that low. I never realized that was the trick to make it work. Does one have to use inner tubes on tires that deflate that much?
I air down to 15-20psi. One just needs good all terrains, no tubes.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sorry, that's incorrect. If you don't air down in fine soft sand, you push the sand in front until you can't get over it and start digging yourself in.

Besides having thousands of beach sand miles on my Subies, it's actually the law for state beaches in NY (for that reason) and something oft discussed even in the Jeep world.

Btw, the Jeeps that got stuck in the very spot in the vid didn't think they needed to air down. They were wrong. ?

It's imperative for fine soft deep sand.

View attachment 3543

WOW...OK...I stand corrected! Thanks for the tip!

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW...OK...I stand corrected! Thanks for the tip!
Any time. And, in uncertain sand conditions, airing down saves the drivetrain a lot of strain, even it not entirely necessary.

When I off-roaded in the desert in Moab and Joshua Tree, I didn't need to air down. You'd have thought that the sand would be more difficult, but, it was packed harder, and not as fine as Ocala or the Long Island beaches. The Ascent handled it easily.

I got stuck once on Long Island at Sore Thumb because I didn't air down, and went past the hard packed sand-dirt stuff. I dug myself in a bit. As soon as I aired down, the Ascent clawed out of it easily. I always aired down before that day, so, that was the first time I experienced it personally. I guess I knew better, but, I didn't think I'd pass that transition line - I just wanted a quick sunset shot on my way home from work and was racing against the clock.

You can JUST make out the compressor next to the rear driver's side tire.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
74 Posts
Any time. And, in uncertain sand conditions, airing down saves the drivetrain a lot of strain, even it not entirely necessary.

When I off-roaded in the desert in Moab and Joshua Tree, I didn't need to air down. You'd have thought that the sand would be more difficult, but, it was packed harder, and not as fine as Ocala or the Long Island beaches. The Ascent handled it easily.

I got stuck once on Long Island at Sore Thumb because I didn't air down, and went past the hard packed sand-dirt stuff. I dug myself in a bit. As soon as I aired down, the Ascent clawed out of it easily. I always aired down before that day, so, that was the first time I experienced it personally. I guess I knew better, but, I didn't think I'd pass that transition line - I just wanted a quick sunset shot on my way home from work and was racing against the clock.

You can JUST make out the compressor next to the rear driver's side tire.

View attachment 3562
What is your compressor of choice? Powered from the battery terminals directly?
Anything you specifically use to air down or just a pressure gauge?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts