Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm 6' and it would be much better if the steering wheel would come out further and be 2" in diameter larger. The comment about arm rests apply in my case too. For long drives, they're just not in the right position - a little higher would be better.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The 2015 Crosstrek we owned had a very similar issue with arm rests while driving. During my recent road trip I did notice that same issue, although it doesn't seem to be as extreme as the Crosstrek's was. I am able to rest my elbows and hold the wheel just below the midline, and my Stark paddle extensions help as well. I used a pad on top of the center console in the Trek, and it helped, but I doubt I'll do the same in the Ascent, it's just not uncomfortable enough for me to bother with that. Due to the arthritis in my hands, I have to frequently change hand positions while driving anyway. As I'm only 5'10", I have not had any of the other seating difficulties y'all describe. I did lower my seat down to better reach the center console and door arm pad while driving.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Most of my issues noted still bug me :-/

I still find it really hard to pivot from gas to brake. The brake pedal just seems so centered so with my size 14s at 6'5 (but only 32" inseam) I feel like I have to move my whole leg or lift it and it's still pretty uncomfortable for me especially in stop and go traffic.

When I say centered...I almost feel like it would be easier to brake with my left foot sometimes...and that the middle of the pedal is like dead center to the middle of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've posted these things on a few other threads, but formulating my list here.

Overall, I still love the Ascent. Everytime I drive it, I'm reminded of why I love it.

It's hands down the smoothest riding SUV I've ever been in. It soaks up bumps, minimal body roll, smooth and zippy acceleration. Responsive handling, etc etc.

The seats are super comfortable despite the ergonomic issues below.

It's the most premium feeling Subaru I've ever been in.

Great visibility all around, quiet cabin, minimal tire noise.

Now the not so good...

1. I'm coming from a Toyota Tacoma, so I'm used to being up higher. The new ride height is bugging me. But I think it's more that I didn't notice it on my two test drives. As soon as I was in bumper to bumper traffic and Rav 4s and Highlanders and Explorers came up next to me, I felt tiny next to them. It was a really odd feeling considering the Ascent is taller. You just sit lower. From what I can tell, you sit more around Forester, Audi Q5, Honda HR-V ride/drive height. I feel like I'll probably get used to this, but it still irks me a bit. Maybe I'll have to consider a 1-2" lift... not sure what that all entails though.

2. Ergonomics as a tall person - I've been really struggling getting comfortable. My instincts and what I did on test drives were to just lower the seat and put it all the way back. I'm 6'5" with 32" inseam, so short legs and long torso and normal length arms. So with the seat set that way, it's fine for my legs...and even a slight bend is fine. I can't go too much in otherwise going from gas to brake is uncomfortable for me. The real issue here are the lack of height adjustment of the center console as well as the steering wheel not telescoping far enough out. The padding on the driver's side door is also very low. So if I'm not driving at 10 / 2 and trying to hold the wheel from the bottom with my elbow rested...my fingers can barely reach the wheel comfortably.
The steering wheel not telescoping anything further really bums me out as well. So far I find myself just constantly adjusting the seat. I'm considering one of those cushions for the center console...not looking forward to that. There are pads for the left side door, but they aren't recommended for use on leather.

I'm very curious if any of the other tall folks have run into these same issues.

3. Ram air
I've noticed somewhat warmer air coming through the vents when the temperature controls are off. Think 73 outside, but 78 degree air hitting your face and hands...

I usually leave it on fresh air versus recirculate. I've played around with this extensively, I can turn on the HVAC and turn it to recirculate and then shut it off. That seems to help or closing the vents completely.

I also noticed this tonight in the footwell area on the driver's side around my knees. It just felt warmer despite the HVAC system being off and the windows being open and a cool 73 degrees outside. So the air outside felt great and cool, yet my legs and feet felt oddly warm. I reached down and could feel warmth on my arms as well.

Comparing this to my Tacoma, I could leave that on fresh and as long as the thermostat was set to cool, the air from the outside pretty much matched what came through the vents.

4. Cupholders not adjustable and the center console ones don't have inserts. Big fail now that I've actually tried to use them. I know there was another thread on this, but I'm shocked how much that was marketed, yet I can't fit any of my Nalgenes nor the majority of my insulated water bottles. The same goes for the doors. They only fit around 16.8oz bottles of water versus anything bigger. Really hoping Subaru gets enough complaints and replaces the part or offers some sort of insert/adapter.

5. Wish there was more storage room in the front cubby in front of the cupholders. I can really only fit my cell phone and maybe a wallet next to it. I feel like I'm a bit forced to use the center console.

6. Fuel economy still seems to be up the air. This was the first solid week of LA traffic with the Ascent. Aka - 40+ minutes of stop and go traffic to go a whopping 6 -7 miles. Computer is showing AVG of 16 mpg and was basically at 60 miles when I used up a 1/4th of the tank. This has me concerned. My Tacoma did better than that. I'm hoping this is just break in, but it is super odd that if I do any highway driving, the numbers match what they should be. Definitely not getting 20 city though...

7. Floor mats are cheap and flimsy and the all weathers ridges don't go high enough. This is already pretty well known.

8. Rear lights not able to be turned off when doors are opened. Also well known issue

9. No captains chairs seatback protectors

All in all, the Ascent isn't perfect. But I still think it beats the competition and ticked all the boxes of what I was looking for in my next vehicle.
Number 2 on your list is my biggest issue and makes an hour drive feel like 4 hours!! It’s enough to make me want to dump the car already after only a month or so of owning it!! My body aches after driving it each day . Love all other aspects about the car

·
Registered
880 Posts
From reading this post maybe you’all are just not tall enough. I’m 6’7” with a 36” inseam and size 15 shoe and I fit rather well. On our 2 week driving trip I was very comfortable. I too would like the wheel to telescope more but I do have long arms and it’s not a big issue but a nice to have. I do like the side to side room for my legs that the Ascent has more than my wife’s pickup which surprised me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Curious if you've had any issues with your right knee/hip especially when going back and forth between gas and brake pedal.

Alas, I'm still struggling to find the perfect seat position and stay comfortable. It's really bothering me. I'm constantly adjusting the seat. Again, I only have a 32" inseam, but size 14 feet. But in stop and go traffic, my right knee and leg feel pretty uncomfortable. My left leg is perfectly fine. I feel like it's because I have to move my leg over to more to the middle for hitting the brake with my foot.

I'm 31, but I do have a history of lower back problems. The funny thing is, 1hr trips in the Tacoma would kill my left hip/lower back. 1hr trips in the Ascent are fine on the left.

I don't know if it's the leather needing to break in, or if I just need more leg room or what the deal is, but it's been driving me crazy.

On paper, the Ascent has more legroom than my Tacoma did. Maybe it's the seating position is different, but I feel like my right leg isn't as fully extended as it was before. I definitely have a bend in the knee even with the seat all the way back.

:crying:
...Everyone is different, but I'm so surprised you prefer the Tacoma's ergonomics. I absolutely loathed my 2018 TRD-OR Tacoma, and took a bath selling it after a year because I was so uncomfortable.

I personally think the Taco seat sits low, so my knees were above hips (think squatty potty), the pedals are definitely not in alignment with legs (the center console fans out fairly wide), and the steering wheel only telescoped about 2 inches at most. If yours telescoped more than that, then maybe mine was broken??? It drove me nuts! I'm a relatively lanky 6 foot, 160 lbs guy and my arms were locked straight out on the Tacoma. If I wanted to relax my arms, I had to move in closer in which case I was almost in fetal position with my knees nearly touching the dash. Any ride more than an hour and I was in serious discomfort (right knee and back). I'm a very fit endurance athlete and yet I would hobble out of that truck on road trips. If you google "Tacoma knee pain" there's extensive discussion about it. The main reason I got the Ascent was because I needed a seat that adjusted in every direction, especially up so that my knees and hips are level. I love being able to crank it up high, and that the lumbar seems to inflate rather than some roller mechanism like on other cars. I tried so hard to like the Taco and just gave up -- I was having to prop myself up on a pillow and use a towel to support my right knee (on the Touring, the front seat cushion extends out which was another major selling point for me).

Also, my 6'2" cousin can't fit in my Tacoma -- his head was mashed into the ceiling and I didn't even have a sunroof. He wanted a Taco so much but literally couldn't fit in it. I think you mentioned you were considerably taller, so I'm a little baffled about it. I guess leg vs. torso proportionality matters quite a bit -- I have to believe you when you said you fit, I just can't conceive of it :) . What generation Tacoma? I wonder if there are significant differences between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen.

I wish I had had a better experience with the Taco -- people love love love them and anything I say to the contrary is heresy. After I bought the Ascent, I did a 2000 mile road trip and smiled the whole time -- it's the first time in a long time I wasn't sore and exhausted after more than a few wheels behind the wheel.

Oh, I had an F150 loaner... now that was like a studio apartment! Wow! Totally different truck of course, but it made me realize how cramped and uncomfortable the Taco was.

In any event, I feel for you... it royally sucks to be in a car that isn't literally a good fit. I don't know how I would have known that about the Taco on a short test drive, or how you would have known that about the Ascent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
From reading this post maybe you’all are just not tall enough. I’m 6’7” with a 36” inseam and size 15 shoe and I fit rather well. On our 2 week driving trip I was very comfortable. I too would like the wheel to telescope more but I do have long arms and it’s not a big issue but a nice to have. I do like the side to side room for my legs that the Ascent has more than my wife’s pickup which surprised me.
I'm late to this thread (new owner), but comfort wise my biggest issue is that the steering wheel doesn't telescope more. I have long legs and somewhat shorter arms and like to lean back (high recline) on long drives. I find I can't put the seat where I'd like it to be because I can't comfortably hold the steering wheel. I actually started searching if there was any after-delivery options to extend the steering wheel more (I've never heard of this, ever, just hoping).

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am 6'5 with 34" inseam and it's hard to find a comfortable spot for my elbow. The leg and headroom are fine, the wheel could come back slightly. If the car in on a decline, be careful with the hatch and walking into the corner of it.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
I am 6'5 with 34" inseam and it's hard to find a comfortable spot for my elbow. The leg and headroom are fine, the wheel could come back slightly. If the car in on a decline, be careful with the hatch and walking into the corner of it.
Left or right elbow? I find the differences in distance on both sides to feel awkward (though I know it's a safety thing to provide more distance on the outside edge).

·
Registered
377 Posts
6'3"
34" inseam
36" sleeve

I can just barely rest my elbow on the door ledge and still hold the wheel with the seat all the way back. But I do have the steering wheel telescoped all the way out and up all the way. I was pretty surprised the Ascent still has a manual lever/lock for adjusting the steering wheel. My last two vehicles had electric adjusters, like the kind for the side mirrors, and were tied into the seat memory function as well. Sales staff had to show me where the lever was on the bottom of the steering column as funky steering wheel position was my first comment after my first test drive.

I drove pretty much everything in the same class as the Ascent and found most forward collision sensors come down too low on the windshield for my height making for a huge blindspot

·
Registered
71 Posts
Left elbow

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey anyone not feeling tall compared to others around them in an Ascent, just take a Mazda CX-9 test drive and you'll feel great when you get back in your Ascent.

I did that and the CX-9 felt low, poor visibility, and claustrophobic,

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey anyone not feeling tall compared to others around them in an Ascent, just take a Mazda CX-9 test drive and you'll feel great when you get back in your Ascent.

I also drove a CX-9 and didn't like the cockpit feel, which is what they're going for I think. I've owned Toyotas as well -- low seating, high dashes. I like sitting up tall with lower instrumentation and lots of visibility like old school SUVs. I'm personally not into "sporty" designs... for me the Ascent offers a nice balance.

·
Registered
71 Posts

I'd never consider the CX-9. In fact, the Ascent was my wife's idea. My car got totaled after being rear ended and she said if I let her get this car, the next one is my choice. Right now, I'd be leaning towards a Challenger RT Scat Pack. Being tall, I don't like 4 door cars. They are usually harder to get in and out of for me. A regular cab pickup with a short bed could work too, if it had the right engine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm partial to Volvo XC-90s R-Design but that's $56k base, but then again it's a Volvo and works for taller people. Also has 3 rows so if money isn't as much of an object, you might consider that if not partial to the Ascent.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If I see another blue, or pearl white XC90 in my neighborhood I'm going to move!!!! I don't even know who I'm waving to half the time when one goes by, it could be one of my neighbors I know, or somebody from another street that I have no idea who it is, since there are so many of these where I live. Same with the Q7( There are about 20 houses on my street and combined there are 15 Q7s/XC90s)....Although there are three magnetite gray touring Ascents ( same color as mine) within about a half mile of my house.

The CX9 was definitely smaller inside, but with the lighter color interior, and especially now with the second row captain's chairs, it doesn't seem as bad. But oddly enough my 6'2 kid fit just fine in the second row- this was with the bench seat on a '19, but he's a little bit tight in the Ascent. But the outward visibility is nowhere near as good as the Ascent. I honestly don't think I've ever been in another car (besides my now sold Corvette convertible when the top was down) that had outward visibility nearly as good.

Also for what it's worth there's no lukewarm with the XC90. With my neighbors xc's, they've either been bulletproof reliable, or constantly in the shop.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I haven't look at Volvos since 2006. They were all way too small for me. May have to look at them again some time.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts