Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted these things on a few other threads, but formulating my list here.

Overall, I still love the Ascent. Everytime I drive it, I'm reminded of why I love it.

It's hands down the smoothest riding SUV I've ever been in. It soaks up bumps, minimal body roll, smooth and zippy acceleration. Responsive handling, etc etc.

The seats are super comfortable despite the ergonomic issues below.

It's the most premium feeling Subaru I've ever been in.

Great visibility all around, quiet cabin, minimal tire noise.

Now the not so good...

1. I'm coming from a Toyota Tacoma, so I'm used to being up higher. The new ride height is bugging me. But I think it's more that I didn't notice it on my two test drives. As soon as I was in bumper to bumper traffic and Rav 4s and Highlanders and Explorers came up next to me, I felt tiny next to them. It was a really odd feeling considering the Ascent is taller. You just sit lower. From what I can tell, you sit more around Forester, Audi Q5, Honda HR-V ride/drive height. I feel like I'll probably get used to this, but it still irks me a bit. Maybe I'll have to consider a 1-2" lift... not sure what that all entails though.

2. Ergonomics as a tall person - I've been really struggling getting comfortable. My instincts and what I did on test drives were to just lower the seat and put it all the way back. I'm 6'5" with 32" inseam, so short legs and long torso and normal length arms. So with the seat set that way, it's fine for my legs...and even a slight bend is fine. I can't go too much in otherwise going from gas to brake is uncomfortable for me. The real issue here are the lack of height adjustment of the center console as well as the steering wheel not telescoping far enough out. The padding on the driver's side door is also very low. So if I'm not driving at 10 / 2 and trying to hold the wheel from the bottom with my elbow rested...my fingers can barely reach the wheel comfortably.
The steering wheel not telescoping anything further really bums me out as well. So far I find myself just constantly adjusting the seat. I'm considering one of those cushions for the center console...not looking forward to that. There are pads for the left side door, but they aren't recommended for use on leather.

I'm very curious if any of the other tall folks have run into these same issues.

3. Ram air
I've noticed somewhat warmer air coming through the vents when the temperature controls are off. Think 73 outside, but 78 degree air hitting your face and hands...

I usually leave it on fresh air versus recirculate. I've played around with this extensively, I can turn on the HVAC and turn it to recirculate and then shut it off. That seems to help or closing the vents completely.

I also noticed this tonight in the footwell area on the driver's side around my knees. It just felt warmer despite the HVAC system being off and the windows being open and a cool 73 degrees outside. So the air outside felt great and cool, yet my legs and feet felt oddly warm. I reached down and could feel warmth on my arms as well.

Comparing this to my Tacoma, I could leave that on fresh and as long as the thermostat was set to cool, the air from the outside pretty much matched what came through the vents.

4. Cupholders not adjustable and the center console ones don't have inserts. Big fail now that I've actually tried to use them. I know there was another thread on this, but I'm shocked how much that was marketed, yet I can't fit any of my Nalgenes nor the majority of my insulated water bottles. The same goes for the doors. They only fit around 16.8oz bottles of water versus anything bigger. Really hoping Subaru gets enough complaints and replaces the part or offers some sort of insert/adapter.

5. Wish there was more storage room in the front cubby in front of the cupholders. I can really only fit my cell phone and maybe a wallet next to it. I feel like I'm a bit forced to use the center console.

6. Fuel economy still seems to be up the air. This was the first solid week of LA traffic with the Ascent. Aka - 40+ minutes of stop and go traffic to go a whopping 6 -7 miles. Computer is showing AVG of 16 mpg and was basically at 60 miles when I used up a 1/4th of the tank. This has me concerned. My Tacoma did better than that. I'm hoping this is just break in, but it is super odd that if I do any highway driving, the numbers match what they should be. Definitely not getting 20 city though...

7. Floor mats are cheap and flimsy and the all weathers ridges don't go high enough. This is already pretty well known.

8. Rear lights not able to be turned off when doors are opened. Also well known issue

9. No captains chairs seatback protectors

All in all, the Ascent isn't perfect. But I still think it beats the competition and ticked all the boxes of what I was looking for in my next vehicle.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've noticed somewhat warmer air coming through the vents when the temperature controls are off. Think 73 outside, but 78 degree air hitting your face and hands...
I'm 100% with you here. Having the air vents open and the fan on, with the temp setting on "Lo", blows hot air on you. Its not comfortable at all. I've turned the fan off completely, and just run with the windows open.

Reactions: FoRealz

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm 100% with you here. Having the air vents open and the fan on, with the temp setting on "Lo", blows hot air on you. Its not comfortable at all. I've turned the fan off completely, and just run with the windows open.
I noticed this too. I thought it was just because it had been sitting in the sun for a couple hours and it just needed a chance to catch up.

10 very warm minutes later it was like a switch had been flipped and we started getting nice chilled air. Weird.

Regarding tall people problems, I'm 6'2" 215lbs and I feel like I'm sitting pretty decently high. I have the seat set up fairly high and not all the way back. My arm is stretched out most of the way at 10 'o'clock when I'm driving and that's pretty comfortable for me. At least I'm getting used to it. I don't adjust the wheel back further to me because it's set for my wife (it's her car and I guess I'm really just being nice not moving it from where she has it, lol).

However, sitting like this for me has put the rear view mirror in a bad spot making it a blind spot for me. I'm having to duck to be able to see over that direction when I need to. Otherwise it's fine.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
those seat back protectors are/were available for the captains chairs....
Where are you seeing that? The ones sold are for the 3rd row bench. I haven't seen any for the captains.

Glad I'm not going crazy :) Thanks!

I noticed this too. I thought it was just because it had been sitting in the sun for a couple hours and it just needed a chance to catch up.

10 very warm minutes later it was like a switch had been flipped and we started getting nice chilled air. Weird.

Regarding tall people problems, I'm 6'2" 215lbs and I feel like I'm sitting pretty decently high. I have the seat set up fairly high and not all the way back. My arm is stretched out most of the way at 10 'o'clock when I'm driving and that's pretty comfortable for me. At least I'm getting used to it. I don't adjust the wheel back further to me because it's set for my wife (it's her car and I guess I'm really just being nice not moving it from where she has it, lol).

However, sitting like this for me has put the rear view mirror in a bad spot making it a blind spot for me. I'm having to duck to be able to see over that direction when I need to. Otherwise it's fine.
Thanks! Have you tried raising the mirror as high as it can go? Robert had made a post about doing it. Let me know if you can't find it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've posted these things on a few other threads, but formulating my list here.

9. No captains chairs seatback protectors.
The seat back protectors I purchased were for the back of the third row seats only. But having to slide both of my parents’ walkers in the back with the third row seats down, I would appreciate a second row seat back protector set, as well.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks! Have you tried raising the mirror as high as it can go? Robert had made a post about doing it. Let me know if you can't find it.
I could only find you guys talking about that adapter thing and Robert saying it should just about touch the top. I've raised it all the way and it's probably 1/2" away from the top. Can it go higher somehow?

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
11 Posts
Regarding the back of the second row seats, I ordered a rubber mat from weathertech to cover them and extend over part of the third row. I thought I ordered it from the dealer but apparently it was not an option. When it comes in, I will need to determine a filler between the 2nd and 3rd so there is not a depression there. I purchased the Ascent after driving a Traverse for 7 years and we have five dogs and loads of gear with only two of us in the front most of the time so I will make sure the back is covered in rubber or plastic:)

·
Registered
597 Posts
For your first issue I agree with the steering wheel it really needs to extend another inch or so. While I'm not as tall I did find that raising my seat up a bit would make it where I needed to move it forward so I could reach the wheel a little more comfortably. This also helps with visibility.

Granted I'm not sure how much higher the seat can go as you do have another 5" in height.

Oh the front cubby needs to be another inch taller. I can hardly get my hands in there to plug stuff into the 9 volt which is ridiculous!

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Regarding the back of the second row seats, I ordered a rubber mat from weathertech to cover them and extend over part of the third row. I thought I ordered it from the dealer but apparently it was not an option. When it comes in, I will need to determine a filler between the 2nd and 3rd so there is not a depression there. I purchased the Ascent after driving a Traverse for 7 years and we have five dogs and loads of gear with only two of us in the front most of the time so I will make sure the back is covered in rubber or plastic:)
Please keep me posted on how that works out and post pictures if you don't mind. :)

For your first issue I agree with the steering wheel it really needs to extend another inch or so. While I'm not as tall I did find that raising my seat up a bit would make it where I needed to move it forward so I could reach the wheel a little more comfortably. This also helps with visibility.

Granted I'm not sure how much higher the seat can go as you do have another 5" in height.

Oh the front cubby needs to be another inch taller. I can hardly get my hands in there to plug stuff into the 9 volt which is ridiculous!
Yeah, the problem with raising the seat is eventually the Rearview mirror creates a blindspot for my 1/2 o'clock. Think coming to a stop sign and being unable to see the person/car in that direction. I had the same issue in my Tacoma and had to raise the mirror. Also raising it up shortens the leg room as well as it lifts up, but also slightly forward.

Agreed with the cubby thing, definitely too tiny.

Also #10 Sunglasses holder, my sunglasses literally fall out. I've gotten good catching them as I know it's coming. They've also gotten stuck in there once...that wasn't fun crushing them to get them out.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yeah, the problem with raising the seat is eventually the Rearview mirror creates a blindspot for my 1/2 o'clock. Think coming to a stop sign and being unable to see the person/car in that direction. I had the same issue in my Tacoma and had to raise the mirror. Also raising it up shortens the leg room as well as it lifts up, but also slightly forward.

Agreed with the cubby thing, definitely too tiny.

Also #10 Sunglasses holder, my sunglasses literally fall out. I've gotten good catching them as I know it's coming. They've also gotten stuck in there once...that wasn't fun crushing them to get them out.
Hmm I'll have to check the unit. I think the Traverse you could move the entire mirror higher not just the angle. I didn't need to do that on my Ascent but I bet it can move up just for that reason. Still not sure if it would be high enough.

My Sunglass holder works just fine although I agree it is a bit small. I wonder if it is not working due to the size of your sunglasses? I know my old car could fit 2-3 pairs but this one just fits one pair.

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts
Yeah once it goes up really high, you start to see the glasses/seat mirror though. https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2112624772111870&id=1181595818548108 There's a video in the comments on this.
Cool thanks. I'll try that tomorrow and see if it goes up a bit more.
Yeah, it's a PITA to do it. Tilt downward, push up the attachment arm as much as possible taking care to not damage the mirror, then tilt the mirror upwards.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another oddity I've noticed...and curious if anyone else has.

After driving for 30+ minutes and getting out/turning off the car and walking towards the rear, I'm feeling a large amount of heat coming from by the wheelwells. I've noticed it a few times after getting out and walking to open the rear liftgate. I don't think there's anything wrong with my exhaust, just seems odd.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Negative.
Could be heat from the calipers/rotors, particularly if there were highway speeds coming to a stop frequently. That combined with the CVT and engine itself can generate a lot of heat, and the wheel wells may be a perfect area to ventilate heat from the engine bay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fits a 6'4" frame

1. I'm coming from a Toyota Tacoma, so I'm used to being up higher. The new ride height is bugging me. But I think it's more that I didn't notice it on my two test drives. As soon as I was in bumper to bumper traffic and Rav 4s and Highlanders and Explorers came up next to me, I felt tiny next to them. It was a really odd feeling considering the Ascent is taller. You just sit lower. From what I can tell, you sit more around Forester, Audi Q5, Honda HR-V ride/drive height. I feel like I'll probably get used to this, but it still irks me a bit. Maybe I'll have to consider a 1-2" lift... not sure what that all entails though.

2. Ergonomics as a tall person - I've been really struggling getting comfortable. My instincts and what I did on test drives were to just lower the seat and put it all the way back. I'm 6'5" with 32" inseam, so short legs and long torso and normal length arms. So with the seat set that way, it's fine for my legs...and even a slight bend is fine. I can't go too much in otherwise going from gas to brake is uncomfortable for me. The real issue here are the lack of height adjustment of the center console as well as the steering wheel not telescoping far enough out. The padding on the driver's side door is also very low. So if I'm not driving at 10 / 2 and trying to hold the wheel from the bottom with my elbow rested...my fingers can barely reach the wheel comfortably.
The steering wheel not telescoping anything further really bums me out as well. So far I find myself just constantly adjusting the seat. I'm considering one of those cushions for the center console...not looking forward to that. There are pads for the left side door, but they aren't recommended for use on leather.

I'm very curious if any of the other tall folks have run into these same issues.

I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam, and except for wishing the steering wheel telescoped out a bit more, I'm quite comfortable. I have lots of headroom, and the seat is not all the way back either. I did extend the seat bottom forward to get the thigh support (discovered this feature on my own...the guys in the dealership didn't even know it did that!).

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam, and except for wishing the steering wheel telescoped out a bit more, I'm quite comfortable. I have lots of headroom, and the seat is not all the way back either. I did extend the seat bottom forward to get the thigh support (discovered this feature on my own...the guys in the dealership didn't even know it did that!).
Curious if you've had any issues with your right knee/hip especially when going back and forth between gas and brake pedal.

Alas, I'm still struggling to find the perfect seat position and stay comfortable. It's really bothering me. I'm constantly adjusting the seat. Again, I only have a 32" inseam, but size 14 feet. But in stop and go traffic, my right knee and leg feel pretty uncomfortable. My left leg is perfectly fine. I feel like it's because I have to move my leg over to more to the middle for hitting the brake with my foot.

I'm 31, but I do have a history of lower back problems. The funny thing is, 1hr trips in the Tacoma would kill my left hip/lower back. 1hr trips in the Ascent are fine on the left.

I don't know if it's the leather needing to break in, or if I just need more leg room or what the deal is, but it's been driving me crazy.

On paper, the Ascent has more legroom than my Tacoma did. Maybe it's the seating position is different, but I feel like my right leg isn't as fully extended as it was before. I definitely have a bend in the knee even with the seat all the way back.

:crying:

Reactions: Sparkland
1 - 20 of 37 Posts