Subaru Ascent Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
SOLD!!! SOLD!!! SOLD!!!
I have the OEM 2" drop receiver, I have an adjustable aluminum setup so I dont foresee needing this one. If anyone wants it I can ship it USPS flat rate to the continental US for $25.
Latch Wood Handle Door handle Hardware accessory

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
Just to clarify, this is a 6" drop ball mount for a 2" receiver. :) It's also excellent quality. Very worthy for anyone needing a decent ball mount for a trailer that has a ball height in the 18-19" range.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I realize it's sold but one question if I may.. This was the ball mount that came with the ASCENT? and you mentioned a ball height of 18-19" Is that measured from ground to the top of the ball? I know that I need 21" for my trailer but have been unsure what the factory hitch height actually is? Thanks

Just to clarify, this is a 6" drop ball mount for a 2" receiver. :) It's also excellent quality. Very worthy for anyone needing a decent ball mount for a trailer that has a ball height in the 18-19" range.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Yes, the OEM ball mount is a 6" drop and by my measurements, it provides an approximate ball height of around 18-19" which is what my utility trailer requires. (Interestingly, my horse trailer, sold a while back, also wanted that same ball height) So if you need a nominal 21" ball height for your trailer, it sounds like a 3-4" drop ball mount should put you where you want to be, depending on your tongue weight deflection, Ruben. Buy a quality ball mount in that size, loosely install a ball and then gently put the thang into your hitch receiver. With the Ascent parked on a level area, preferably paved, measure the ball height. It should be a little higher than ideal since it will drop down when tongue weight is applied. If that size doesn't work, get one with less drop and repeat. You can even "gently" lower the trailer onto the ball as a final test before you make your decision. Optimizing ball height is an important step in having the most stable towing experience. If you're buying your ball mount locally, just grab several sizes and return what isn't right...just be careful not to mar/damage them while you test. And obviously, be sure to torque down that ball once you have the right ball mount for your rig.

Reactions: ratbag

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for that info Jim_in_PA, Yes height is indeed critical. Now that I'm not allowed to use my WDH with the Ascent I'll be able to buy one of those aluminum adjustable hitches. Which the wife will find much easier to use... the old WDH weighed a ton and was hard to remove and install for her. I always thought 21" was low.. I didn't realize the stock hitch was 18-19".

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Just be sure to buy a high quality ball mount and if it's adjustable AND aluminum, even more so. But yes, that's a really good solution, especially for folks who tow more than one trailer that use the same size ball. (I needed two ball mounts previously because one trailer was 2" and one was 2 5/16")

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Mods you can archive this, item is sold. Thanks denissh.
Well, since a conversation started before I could get to it (been busy, sorry, just catching up on reading everything), I've instead changed the title and first post to clearly show it's sold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.