Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a whole it was a good vehicle but I know it could be better, and there were a few quirks I didn’t like (steering, transmission, stock battery, brake rotors would grind bad etc); at least I know the new owner will have an amazing battery lol. I hope Subaru listened to the responses I gave on the many surveys I completed for them.

I also want to thank the many people on this forum that provide a wealth of knowledge to the community.

I know Layla will miss the Ascent the most.

Safe travels everyone.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You should check out the 2020 explorer, the only direct competitor (similar architecture) to the Ascent.

What was wrong with the tranny?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Ouch. I think, er know, I’d take a pretty massive loss if I flipped an Ascent 1 year after purchase..
True, as with any car, but less so with a Subaru than most brands. And if the owner was having that many issues/really didn't like it that much, sometimes it's better just to cut your losses. While I'm always vigilant about how I spend/manage money, there is also a value to not having to deal with something, even if it's a financially tough decision.

I suggest that the original poster drives everything, with a blind eye to the brand, and pick what they like best.

·
Registered
597 Posts
True, as with any car, but less so with a Subaru than most brands. And if the owner was having that many issues/really didn't like it that much, sometimes it's better just to cut your losses. While I'm always vigilant about how I spend/manage money, there is also a value to not having to deal with something, even if it's a financially tough decision.

I suggest that the original poster drives everything, with a blind eye to the brand, and pick what they like best.
Agree you spend a lot of time in a vehicle when you think about it and if you aren't happy and can afford it cutting and moving on is a good idea.

Good luck finding a new vehicle that fits your needs. I would look at the 2020 Explorer and the Hyundai/Kia options as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should check out the 2020 explorer, the only direct competitor (similar architecture) to the Ascent.

What was wrong with the tranny?
Agree you spend a lot of time in a vehicle when you think about it and if you aren't happy and can afford it cutting and moving on is a good idea.

Good luck finding a new vehicle that fits your needs. I would look at the 2020 Explorer and the Hyundai/Kia options as well.
I’m more than likely going back to a Tesla, but may do a Ford truck (Raptor) as I don’t need an SUV anymore.

When I test drove the Ascent it was pretty good. The one I received was different. The tranny was clunky, or somewhat smooth; it depended on the day, but the steering was horrible at highway speeds. Way too touchy and fast. The slightest movement would make it jart in that direction. It wasn’t the tire air pressure, it had to be something in the system. I drove my friends Ascent and it felt much better than mine. I know several have the same issue on here. I primarily used this vehicle for travel and my wife hated driving it just as much as I did. I’m sure Subaru will get it right, and it’s my fault for buying a first year new vehicle design. Never again.

I’m also not ruling out Subaru in the future. I did really like the engine in the Ascent. Such a peppy four cylinder and it towed really well.

I have never received so many surveys in my life for a vehicle like I have the Ascent. Even received one asking to sign an NDA which I thought was overkill.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
but the steering was horrible at highway speeds. Way too touchy and fast. The slightest movement would make it jart in that direction. It wasn’t the tire air pressure, it had to be something in the system. I drove my friends Ascent and it felt much better than mine
DId you turn off the Lane Keeping Assist? That would behave like you describe, especially if you didn't realize it was turned on...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DId you turn off the Lane Keeping Assist? That would behave like you describe, especially if you didn't realize it was turned on...
It was the first thing I did. And yes it was worse with LKA on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wait til this engine gets tweaked and put in the STI or possibly even in the BRZ (latest rumor.)
I'll buy one.
I’m sure that whole tuner market would love to work with the engine for sure.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I’m more than likely going back to a Tesla, but may do a Ford truck (Raptor) as I don’t need an SUV anymore.

When I test drove the Ascent it was pretty good. The one I received was different. The tranny was clunky, or somewhat smooth; it depended on the day, but the steering was horrible at highway speeds. Way too touchy and fast. The slightest movement would make it jart in that direction. It wasn’t the tire air pressure, it had to be something in the system. I drove my friends Ascent and it felt much better than mine. I know several have the same issue on here. I primarily used this vehicle for travel and my wife hated driving it just as much as I did. I’m sure Subaru will get it right, and it’s my fault for buying a first year new vehicle design. Never again.

I’m also not ruling out Subaru in the future. I did really like the engine in the Ascent. Such a peppy four cylinder and it towed really well.

I have never received so many surveys in my life for a vehicle like I have the Ascent. Even received one asking to sign an NDA which I thought was overkill.
It's not your fault. Plenty of people have purchased first year new design's including myself and have had zero issues. It's strange because they had had IMO plenty of development time for the Ascent. Even though the Ascent shares the same basic design as the other SGP Subaru's some of the unique parts and pieces that make up the Ascent seem to be not up to Subaru's high standards IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are not alone brother. I sold mine in 5 months, bought a 2020 limited this August and sold last week and changed it for a palisade. I just wasn’t happy with cabin noises, rotars started to grind, my reverse gear would get stuck, one passenger seat channel was bad so needed replacement and leather seat had some tear. I miss it but I definitely wasn’t going to spend my time and energy running back and forth with service appointments and explaining them each noise and getting a look where I hear it and they don’t. The gas mileage wasn’t as advertised either. I lost 2k selling it on the cost I paid and of course the mortgage I paid for 5 months.

As a whole it was a good vehicle but I know it could be better, and there were a few quirks I didn’t like (steering, transmission, stock battery etc); at least I know the new owner will have an amazing battery lol. I hope Subaru listened to the responses I gave on the many surveys I completed for them.

I also want to thank the many people on this forum that provide a wealth of knowledge to the community.

I know Layla will miss the Ascent the most.

Safe travels everyone.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You are not alone brother. I sold mine in 5 months, bought a 2020 limited this August and sold last week and changed it for a palisade. I just wasn’t happy with cabin noises, rotars started to grind, my reverse gear would get stuck, one passenger seat channel was bad so needed replacement and leather seat had some tear. I miss it but I definitely wasn’t going to spend my time and energy running back and forth with service appointments and explaining them each noise and getting a look where I hear it and they don’t. The gas mileage wasn’t as advertised either. I lost 2k selling it on the cost I paid and of course the mortgage I paid for 5 months.
What are you going to do when you start having issues with the Palisade? (And you will). It's simply too expensive to trade a car in whenever you have minor issues, and most cars will have such issues.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What are you going to do when you start having issues with the Palisade? (And you will). It's simply too expensive to trade a car in whenever you have minor issues, and most cars will have such issues.
Agree! Most cars have their issues especially new models. But as I’ve said before if your car is giving you heartache and anxiety then it’s time to let go and get the one you think that makes you happy! Hopefully, you won’t change again after couple of months. ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree! Let’s say I was never in love with it. I wanted a palisade and when I didn’t find one exactly what I wanted I turned around and bought an ascent in a hurry. I sorely regretted it. Assume everything I said as a justification for my thrash :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I agree! Let’s say I was never in love with it. I wanted a palisade and when I didn’t find one exactly what I wanted I turned around and bought an ascent in a hurry. I sorely regretted it. Assume everything I said as a justification for my thrash :)
Well, I hope you enjoy your Palisade and it works out better for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the Palisade is a good vehicle and it should do you well. They have a good warranty too. Mileage not so good, I guess in some cases like the ascent depending how you drive it! Anyhow I am sure it will give you miles of great service.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just sold my 2019 as well. Same reasons. Steering was scary, especially at highway speeds. We took a trip from WI to FL and back and were totally exhausted at each stop. Two handed steering all the time and this was not a vehicle you could take your eyes off the road with. Compensating for a simple wind gust or passing a truck was quite the jerky experience. We purchased the most expensive touring trim thinking we were getting the best and were left extremely disappointed.
Hope they work out the cvt issues as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have not had the steering issue at all. Of course mine is a 20 limited. Sorry to hear about your problems with yours. I completely understand getting something you feel safe and comfortable in. Good luck on your quest for something new! We will miss you.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just sold my 2019 as well. Same reasons. Steering was scary, especially at highway speeds. We took a trip from WI to FL and back and were totally exhausted at each stop. Two handed steering all the time and this was not a vehicle you could take your eyes off the road with. Compensating for a simple wind gust or passing a truck was quite the jerky experience. We purchased the most expensive touring trim thinking we were getting the best and were left extremely disappointed.
Hope they work out the cvt issues as well.
That is definitely weird. I drove my 2019 Premium from Phoenix to Dallas pretty much non-stop. 15 hours of driving and it was easy-peasy. 4 days later drove back.

It tracks easy, steers with just one hand and is not tiring at all.

Reactions: NTD
1 - 20 of 23 Posts