Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one here got any type of Software update from Subaru (OTA) ?
I dont see why that feature is there if there are not frequent updates.

Also does any one know how much of an update they can do? like is it strickly Infotainment system ? or car settings updates?

I am thinking about disabling auto check Software Update feature(just annoys me and reminds me that its not Tesla) lol

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, just did an update yesterday. It updated some of the problems we had like missing radio presets and updated the maps. A recommendation that we received after a failed attempt via USB, make sure it's a USB 3.0 Type A stick. After purchasing one, it was faster downloading from the MAC and it successfully installed on the Ascent.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
He's asking about over-the-air updates via wifi. AFAIK, it's still not functional. I turned off my auto update a while back until I learn that this feature is actually doing things. It does get pretty annoying to see the update attempt every time I pull into my garage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, just did an update yesterday. It updated some of the problems we had like missing radio presets and updated the maps. A recommendation that we received after a failed attempt via USB, make sure it's a USB 3.0 Type A stick. After purchasing one, it was faster downloading from the MAC and it successfully installed on the Ascent.
When you get a chance can you give a screen shot or details about what the latest version is?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Any one here got any type of Software update from Subaru (OTA) ?
I dont see why that feature is there if there are not frequent updates.

Also does any one know how much of an update they can do? like is it strickly Infotainment system ? or car settings updates?

I am thinking about disabling auto check Software Update feature(just annoys me and reminds me that its not Tesla) lol
Software/Firmware/Head Unit updates can ONLY be done via computer or dealership. The only thing updating OTA are the 7-8 States you selected as your "Region". Do a search for Map Updates and you will find a thorough listing posted of was is in the update. Things like "Speech, Speed Limits, XM, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
He's asking about over-the-air updates via wifi. AFAIK, it's still not functional. I turned off my auto update a while back until I learn that this feature is actually doing things. It does get pretty annoying to see the update attempt every time I pull into my garage.
You need to download AHA app to your phone to update. Make sure the phone is connected to WiFi, create account in AHA and check for update on the cars console.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
You need to download AHA app to your phone to update. Make sure the phone is connected to WiFi, create account in AHA and check for update on the cars console.
No, you don't. There's instructions in the forum of how to update. Aha is an ancient holdover used for updating that has outlived its purpose.

Built In Navigation Capable Head Units:
METHOD 01:

• Go to Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal create an account and follow the instructions at the link at the bottom of the page labeled "User Manual". You need a USB 3.x NTFS (or Mac) formatted USB stick that's 16GB or bigger.
METHOD 02:
  • Connect your head unit to your home WiFi (older head unit firmware versions will require a strong connection, or updates will not happen or will error or will fail).
  • Use the firmware update buttons in the Settings menu of the head unit ("General" tab).
METHOD 03:
  • Ask your dealership to update it in order to resolve whatever issues you're having. Most dealerships don't charge, some do.

NON Navigation Capable Head Units:
METHOD 01:

• Connect your head unit to your home WiFi (older head unit firmware versions will require a strong connection, or updates will not happen or will error or will fail).
  • Use the firmware update buttons in the Settings menu of the head unit ("General" tab).
METHOD 02:
  • Ask your dealership to update it in order to resolve whatever issues you're having. Most dealerships don't charge, some do.

FOR EITHER SERIES:
For Self Update, you can, in a pinch, if you have enough data on your phone plan, create a wifi hotspot to TEMPORARILY connect your car to for updates. Remember to disconnect as soon as you've completed the last update step, and remove the hotspot name from the head unit, otherwise it will continuously check and eat data.

ADDITIONALLY:
Once you're on recent firmware, if you leave your car connecting to your home wifi when home, it will automatically check and notify you when updates are ready.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
I've got a few questions regarding software updates.

Had the Ascent in the garage connected to Wifi and decided to check for software updates. There was an update so I chose to install. A pop up message said that the engine needed to be running and that it might take up to an hour. Since I didn't want to run the car in the garage or even near the house for an hour, I cancelled the update.

Went to the Subaru maps site on my desktop computer and installed the Map Downloader. Between the download and the creation of the USB stick, it took about an hour and used about 17GB.

Brought the stick out to the car, put it in accessory mode and started to run the update with the stick plugged in. The H/U recognized the stick and validated the software (I'm hoping that validated meant that it was in fact an update and not just an equal or older version than I already had). After choosing to run the update, I got the message that the engine would need to be running and that it might take as much as an hour. I didn't feel like having the car idle for an hour and had things to do so I again cancelled.

1. Does the engine really need to be running for the software update to execute?

2. Does the H/U really need up to an hour to fully install the software and full US map?

3. Is this really an update? My 2020 has a February 2020 build date and the software update was from December. It would seem reasonable that the software would be updated before the car was shipped or even during dealer prep but maybe not.

This is the release info for my Ascent:

This is what the Map Downloader put onto the USB:

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited
16 Posts
On my MY19, I just put the update on last week and it took about 20 minutes of the car running to apply from the usb. With the car off, everything is off.... Hope that helps

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
1. Does the engine really need to be running for the software update to execute?
  • Yes, otherwise you risk bricking it, when it turns off accessory mode.

2. Does the H/U really need up to an hour to fully install the software and full US map?
  • With an NTFS (or Mac) formatted USB 3.x stick, no, about 20 minutes.
  • With a USB 2.x stick, yes.

3. Is this really an update? My 2020 has a February 2020 build date and the software update was from December. It would seem reasonable that the software would be updated before the car was shipped or even during dealer prep but maybe not.
  • What version does your head unit currently show? And what's the update version in the Maps Portal?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,156 Posts
The software really is an update. As you can see from the different version numbers, the software is newer than what you have in the car. What features changed? I don't know. I had the same deal with our Feb 2020 car. The OTA update check said that no update was available, but then the map/software website populated a much newer version of the software on the USB stick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When you get a chance can you give a screen shot or details about what the latest version is?
Here is the latest version I have downloaded via home WiFi:

Rel_UA.20.41.70 NAFTA
North America_2017.03_7543_28/12545/272294/40863

event
Publication date:
2020-12-23 06:34

usb
Please prepare a blank USB memory device with at least 14 GB.
file_download
MAP DOWNLOADER

directions_car
Subaru Ascent Touring

No Activation Code needed

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Please let me know if that improves functionality issues you described in the other thread.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What is the current software version for Non-Nav Head units? Got another email saying an update is available, but it just constantly fails. Took to the dealership last time this happened and they weren't able to update OTA and said that Subaru does not provide them with software updates. I'm currently on Rel_UE.19.22.70

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
You're very behind in updates, but, you should be able to update OTA if you're close enough to your home wifi. That update needs a very strong signal to work properly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You're very behind in updates, but, you should be able to update OTA if you're close enough to your home wifi. That update needs a very strong signal to work properly.
Have a strong signal with my home wifi, fails to download everytime. Only showing 2 bars in the pic (pulled into garage after it failed, then took photo) but it has 4 when I try to update. When the dealer has tried they are unable to update either and claim they don't have the software and then suggest using a hotspot with my phone and maybe that would work (I don't pay extra for the hot spot feature with my cell plan). It's gotten to the point where I feel the head unit should be replaced.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
The car thinks you have a weak signal.

You may wish to try your phone as a hotspot, and connect there (expect to eat 8-12GB of data). This issue is fixed in the later version of the firmware that we can hopefully get you running.

First, make sure the head unit is connected to WiFi. The AT&T wifi or what your phone sees, isn't the connection you're looking for.

Ignore the "update failed" message, go into the Settings->General->Check for Updates and see what it finds.

Don't forget to disconnect your phone and remove it from the car's wifi settings.

In detail:
  • Go to Settings on your vehicle multimedia screen.
  • Select General
  • Select Wi-Fi and ensure it is turned on.
  • Select the Wi-Fi network you want to use (your home wifi, or a hotspot you created to do this).
    • If a password is required, the system will ask you to enter it. If successful, you will now be connected to the internet.

• Take note of the Wi-Fi signal strength in the top right corner of the screen.
    • If you only have 1-2 bars with your selected network, download speeds will likely be slow (or, more likely, the update/download will fail).
  • Go back to the General screen
  • Scroll down and select Check for Updates
  • If an update is available, you will receive a pop up saying “Software Update Ready to Download”
If you can get a strong enough signal, let the update download, make sure the car is running (not in the accessory position, but, engine on, outside of a garage/etc), and follow the on screen instructions to update it.

If you cannot get what seems like a strong enough signal to the head unit, then, you will have to get the dealership to do this update using a USB stick. You do not have access to the USB install (only navigation systems do). Ensure they know there's a new update as of the last few months, so they do not install an older version.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts