Subaru Ascent Forum banner

241 - 249 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I keep getting message that my firmware is up to date but it's still 19.01.70. If someone downloaded the firmware that is copyable to a USB stick, that would be great. I wonder then if I could upload though, since I'm being told I'm up to date. I bet I could kill the wifi link by turning it off so it can't check. Dang! This car is like a 4 year old you gotta trick into eating it's vegetables only this is with updated software. Ha!

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
@BroDoze I'd like the same. Received an email recently stating there was a new version to download (non-map unit) and I've tried unsuccessful and it's NOT my wireless or network 100%... but get a "failed to download" message. I prefer to do this myself instead of a special trip to the dealer.
The emailer does not know if you've been updated. It just knows that OTA has been turned on for your car.

So, two questions...
  1. What version are you at?
    Factory 19.01.70/19.02.70 and Upgrade 19.22.70/19.25.70 are already upgraded. If you have a 2019 and that version firmware, then there's nothing to update at the moment, and, the email should be interpreted to mean that OTA is now turned on, and when next there's an update, you will get it.

2. What year is your Ascent?
    2020 OTAs are not yet available, since they're already running up to date software. If you have a 2020, then the email means that OTA is now turned on and the service is available - and, when an update becomes available, you will get it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Robert.Mauro Thanks Robert. Not certain if I have this right. Under system information I show : Software Version : Rel4.18.11.50

Is there somewhere else I should look or is that an old version? Any way to update it myself?

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
@Robert.Mauro Thanks Robert. Not certain if I have this right. Under system information I show : Software Version : Rel4.18.11.50

Is there somewhere else I should look or is that an old version? Any way to update it myself?
Hi! That's all I needed to know. That's an ancient original Ascent release that hasn't been updated. It also tells me that you have a 2019 Ascent, meaning you should be able to update it yourself.

Here's the interesting problem. Very early versions seemed to have a problem with wifi connections that weren't full strength all bars or close to it. That may be your problem.

Perhaps temporarily using your phone as a hotspot may allow you to update the head unit. Expect about a 6-10GB hit to your data.

It's also possible that particular version does not support OTA properly.

Anyway, the good news is that any other problems that you are experiencing are resolved in the updates.

The bad news is that if using your phone as a hotspot doesn't work, then, you need the dealership to update the firmware for you.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
@Robert.Mauro Thanks Robert! Hotspot worked and I'm now at 19.22.70!
Excellent! If you haven't already, just remember to remove the hotspot from the car, and reconnect it to your home wifi so it doesn't eat data continuously checking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Excellent! If you haven't already, just remember to remove the hotspot from the car, and reconnect it to your home wifi so it doesn't eat data continuously checking.
Hi! That's all I needed to know. That's an ancient original Ascent release that hasn't been updated. It also tells me that you have a 2019 Ascent, meaning you should be able to update it yourself.

Here's the interesting problem. Very early versions seemed to have a problem with wifi connections that weren't full strength all bars or close to it. That may be your problem.

Perhaps temporarily using your phone as a hotspot may allow you to update the head unit. Expect about a 6-10GB hit to your data.

It's also possible that particular version does not support OTA properly.

Anyway, the good news is that any other problems that you are experiencing are resolved in the updates.

The bad news is that if using your phone as a hotspot doesn't work, then, you need the dealership to update the firmware for you
The emailer does not know if you've been updated. It just knows that OTA has been turned on for your car.

So, two questions...
  1. What version are you at?
    Factory 19.01.70/19.02.70 and Upgrade 19.22.70/19.25.70 are already upgraded. If you have a 2019 and that version firmware, then there's nothing to update at the moment, and, the email should be interpreted to mean that OTA is now turned on, and when next there's an update, you will get it.

2. What year is your Ascent?
    2020 OTAs are not yet available, since they're already running up to date software. If you have a 2020, then the email means that OTA is now turned on and the service is available - and, when an update becomes available, you will get it.
For some reason I couldnt download the file. I tried using my cellphone as a hot spot but still it is unsuccesful. Can I ask my dealership to update the software.? I might do this one probably during my next Service including the TCM update. Enweyz my ascent has 10k miles and no issues so far. December built.

·
Registered
370 Posts
FYI.. 2018 models got new map update today ... (19.45.20) i hope 2019 is here soon... not sure if i needed as all seems to wok fine with (19.25.70)

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
For some reason I couldnt download the file. I tried using my cellphone as a hot spot but still it is unsuccesful. Can I ask my dealership to update the software.? I might do this one probably during my next Service including the TCM update. Enweyz my ascent has 10k miles and no issues so far. December built.
Yes, you can.

241 - 249 of 249 Posts