Subaru Ascent Forum banner

221 - 240 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had the same problem. I am planning on re-downloading the update and put on another USB. I just tried to download the update but there must be a bit of traffic on their end because it went so slow that it stopped. Oh well ill try again...

Redownloaded the update onto a different USB and it seemed to work. Woot!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bought the Ascent in mid-December and subaru-maps still doesn't recognize my VIN. I may have to bring it to the dealer. Would be nice to have the station presents not disappear every day or so.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Bought the Ascent in mid-December and subaru-maps still doesn't recognize my VIN. I may have to bring it to the dealer. Would be nice to have the station presents not disappear every day or so.
If you don't have navigation, it may never.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Old post but there is a new update for starlink that will come with new maps for navi cars. And apparently the HK ain’t making the hardware for 20 truth is out. It’s samsung now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
this may be old news to some folks, but i have been working with the map updates for the nav system since we got our ascent last september. the internet download to a flashdrive is for firmware and initial map update, but the screen would show an attempt to download an intermediate update; but never succeed in finishing. it would also state that there were no updates available when in proximity to my wi-fi amp in my garage.
after another member recently posted about connection issues, i looked closer at my situation. the car wi-fi system looks like it operates at 5ghz., but my wi-fi amp was an old 2.5ghz model. i just upgraded to a dual band amp for my garage today. i also did a complete re-vamp of my wireless network with new ssid names, and new keys (it was time anyway). upon completion, i went into the car to establish connection to the network. it connected nicely.
this is the part i have been curious about; even though i would always get the message that no updates were available; when i went to the menu to check, it began to work. this is how i set things up for success: take fob into car>turn ign to acc only, not on or start engine>go to control head screen>select home>settings>navigation> map update>turn off auto update>map update. the 8 areas i had selected immediately began to download intermediate map updates. i sat in the cat for 3 of them to finish 100%. i left the ign on acc with the fob in the car. the other 5 areas are downloading as i write this. i am in so cal, so my areas are currently the 8 states near me. if i need to travel outside of these, i will need to do this method for selected areas. it seems like a lame way to do things compared to garmin. they send everything all at once in my portable units. it would also be nice if they would give us a little more help. hopefully this is helpful. it is currently working for me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just an FYI - The Ascent can also use 2.4ghz for map updates, that's how I connect because the 5ghz radio on my Comcastic router in the house doesn't have the range to reach the garage or the driveway with enough strength to work successfully.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have tried both 5g and 2.4 and both will do the Software Update but if I connect wifi and then go to Navigation->Map Updates->Update Now it ALWAYS comes back and tells me I am not connected to the internet and go visit wifi settings (even thought I am connected fine). Hopefully an update come out to address this. Anyone else see this?

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
I have tried both 5g and 2.4 and both will do the Software Update but if I connect wifi and then go to Navigation->Map Updates->Update Now it ALWAYS comes back and tells me I am not connected to the internet and go visit wifi settings (even thought I am connected fine). Hopefully an update come out to address this. Anyone else see this?
You are too far away for its radio.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
That's what I thought initially. So I even set the router about 3 feet from the car and verified I had all the bars on the display and still the same error, but only on the Nav Update screen, not on the General Update screen (which gives the You are up to date message).
Hmmm... Perhaps try naming the 5G connection different and make sure that you are connected to 2.4G.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I’ve never had the radio updates work. I figured the map updates didn’t come in this way because they were so big and it’s like a 45min download from the server.

·
Registered
10 Posts
. . . it ALWAYS comes back and tells me I am not connected to the internet and go visit wifi settings . . . .
The same thing happened to me, so I went to wifi settings, disconnected from the network, and reconnected. When I reconnected, I got a confirmation dialog box that said I was connected. I hit OK, went back to the map update screen, and it found the updates for my 6 states . . . .

·
Registered
27 Posts
The same thing happened to me, so I went to wifi settings, disconnected from the network, and reconnected. When I reconnected, I got a confirmation dialog box that said I was connected. I hit OK, went back to the map update screen, and it found the updates for my 6 states . . . .
The newest version loaded via usb fixed this for me. It now checks for map updates without issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So for someone debating the sunroof/nav package (I intend to use AA assuming it works well although even if it didn't I would likely mount phone to dash to use google maps for real time traffic) it sounds like the dealerships charge for firmware updates for non nav owners? Are these updates common?

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
So for someone debating the sunroof/nav package (I intend to use AA assuming it works well although even if it didn't I would likely mount phone to dash to use google maps for real time traffic) it sounds like the dealerships charge for firmware updates for non nav owners? Are these updates common?
The dealer should not be charging for firmware updates since they fix issues with the original firmware.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think some kind fella should post up some latest non-nav firmware for us 2020 folks to download! :)

I would be very thankful this Thanksgiving! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
@BroDoze I'd like the same. Received an email recently stating there was a new version to download (non-map unit) and I've tried unsuccessful and it's NOT my wireless or network 100%... but get a "failed to download" message. I prefer to do this myself instead of a special trip to the dealer.

221 - 240 of 249 Posts