Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2019 Ascent Touring. The ride is too spongy, is there away to firm up the ride? I have never had air bag suspension, is there a way to add air to the systen?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,261 Posts
I have never had air bag suspension, is there a way to add air to the systen?
The Ascent does not have an air suspension. Tires can make a difference relative to ride...this is often part of the discussion of the pros and cons around 18" wheels with more tire sidewall and 20" wheels with shorter sidewall. But a quality tire on either wheel size is essential for good handling. Additionally, worn shocks/struts can cause "wishy-washy" handling.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring
77 Posts
Rallitek offers stiffer springs for the Ascent which will reduce sag and be generally firmer. You don't need to replace the struts, you can just replace the springs. I did that on my Forester and the result was as expected, they are stiffer, ride quality doesn't suffer much when loaded but when unloaded personaly I prefer the OEMs. For us it was a good idea when we were using the Forester for camping while traveling fully loaded and towing a trailer but as now the Ascent took over these duties and the Forester is always unloaded and I'm considering going back to stock springs for the more comfortable ride.

·
Banned
244 Posts
When we got our 2019 touring, I could not stand the ride. At every turn the car would practically get me
Sea sick as it whipped from
Side to side. The sway bar bushings which were brand new were worn out. The good thing is that eventually the car stopped swaying from
Side to side during turns. If the issue is not softness during turns, then the suspension is probably worn out. Our front suspension was replaced under warranty at about 32k.
At that point, the springs which were
Wider than the base of the strut, we’re flexing so much that the constantly struck the strut bottom and made sounds like squishing an empty plastic soda bottle. Three trips, four damaged rims, a few hundred miles later, loss
of car for more than a week, the noise was gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With spring lift, you'll get what you want plus higher ground clearance. I've replaced springs with Eibach Pro-Lift-Kit Spring Set. The ride is stiffer and there's 1.7 inch lift as well. Then I replaced my tires and it looks great, also better on off-road.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to spend a few bucks to correct the disappointing ride in the preowned 2019 Ascent Touring that I just bought. I had to replace shocks and struts, it now has a very good ride and handles much better. Apparently there should have been a recall on the original equipment, my mechanic said the replacements were an upgrade from Subaru.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Ascent does not have an air suspension. Tires can make a difference relative to ride...this is often part of the discussion of the pros and cons around 18" wheels with more tire sidewall and 20" wheels with shorter sidewall. But a quality tire on either wheel size is essential for good handling. Additionally, worn shocks/struts can cause "wishy-washy" handling.
You were correct shocks and struts were replaced and the ride and handling are much better.
Now I’m hearing I should replace the spring.
I understand there is an open recall for this vehicle, could it be that there is a factory issue with suspensio?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,261 Posts
I understand there is an open recall for this vehicle, could it be that there is a factory issue with suspensio?
The only open recall I'm aware of is for certain MY19-20 Ascents to have the transmission examined for damage and remediation, if necessary.

·
Administrator
11,950 Posts
You were correct shocks and struts were replaced and the ride and handling are much better.
Now I’m hearing I should replace the spring.
I'm pretty sure that the springs were replaced with the shocks and struts, each as an entire assembly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts