Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I saw an Ascent in person at another dealership, and today I visited the dealership I've been using for my Outback. They had an Ascent Premium available for a test drive, so wifey and I got to check it out.

It's quiet, has good power, drives and rides nicely, so win-win-win.

But the steering, which only requires light effort to turn, is dead. Zero feedback. It's just holding a dead fish. So, I think they can tone down the steering assist and maybe get a little life into it. That's my only complaint, and while I'd like more feel, it's not a deal-breaker. (It'd be great if steering effort was an adjustable setting with all the computer control and electronic assist that's going on.)

Anyway, and with that, I sent the sales guy off to Fetch Me An Ascent. We'll see which ones are available. If none match my requirements, we'll order.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Yesterday I saw an Ascent in person at another dealership, and today I visited the dealership I've been using for my Outback. They had an Ascent Premium available for a test drive, so wifey and I got to check it out.

But the steering, which only requires light effort to turn, is dead. Zero feedback. It's just holding a dead fish. So, I think they can tone down the steering assist and maybe get a little life into it. That's my only complaint, and while I'd like more feel, it's not a deal-breaker. (It'd be great if steering effort was an adjustable setting with all the computer control and electronic assist that's going on.)

Anyway, and with that, I sent the sales guy off to Fetch Me An Ascent. We'll see which ones are available. If none match my requirements, we'll order.
Quite a few manufacturers offer "sport", "normal", and "eco" mode that adjust the steering wheel feel accordingly. Subaru did not deem that a necessity on the Ascent. It would have made it more fun to drive. My 2015 Hyundai Sonata had "sport" mode that tightened up the steering, which was cool even for a sedan.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Yeah it's a little disappointing especially since that was one of my fears. I didn't like the Atlas for the same reason. I feel like it's something I'll get used to and forget about.

Driving a Tacoma...I'm used to feeling everything...

·
Registered
49 Posts

Same here, I am used to Honda's steering especially the accords, they feel heavy, even my honda fit & CRV feels heavier than the ascent when I test drove it couple of weeks ago, but I like the gas pedal feel, breaks are a little soft compared to honda's though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Subaru Brakes are definitely NOT grabby. They have been a source of complaints on the Outback also. He is the thing, it's just pedal feel. Not stopping power. I have 2 Outbacks. One has aftermarket sport rotors and pads, it has stainless braided brake lines, It has a master cylinder brace and I run race fluid. That car can lock up the ABS at will.

So can the unmodified 2005, you just need to push harder.

As for the steering, there is a reason they kept the hydraulic unit tin the STI. The non-electric assist Subaru steering is wonderfully communicative. In fact, often times you feel too much.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Would there be a way for Subaru to push out a software update for the Ascent to change the feel or add selective options for steering feel?
A lot of people would have to complain and it would probably be a computer flash and not be adjustable via the infotainment system.

I wouldnt be surprised if the come out with a 2020 sport edition of the Ascent similarly tuned like the 2019 forester... i will be annoyed if this happens :devil:

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great comments, folks, I'm glad I'm not the only one lamenting the steering feel.

Yeah it's a little disappointing especially since that was one of my fears. I didn't like the Atlas for the same reason. I feel like it's something I'll get used to and forget about.

Driving a Tacoma...I'm used to feeling everything...
Isn't that the truth! And I agree, a soft feel will be forgotten in some time.

Meanwhile, my salesman let me know that there's nothing in the pipeline that's similar and unclaimed, so it looks like I'm ordering one today after work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Steering seems to be the most consistent critique, by far.

I can steer our minivan with my little finger, don’t want that ever again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can steer our minivan with my little finger, don’t want that ever again.
Fortunately, it wasn't that light.

And I now have a VON in hand, with delivery mid-late September.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What did you order?
7-passenger Premium, Silver Ice Metallic, package 14 (moonroof, etc), hitch.

We also found an error on Subaru's customer build website. They list the 2nd row sunshade as an option, which I wanted, but it is NOT available to order. Apparently it's only available on the Touring trim. When we were completing the order, it was not available.

The 3rd-row sunshade IS available, which is just a pop-in piece.

I compared the stats from my Grand Cherokee (2004, V8, 4WD):
* Jeep: 235 HP / 295 ft-lb / 4017 lbs / 7000 lbs towing
* Ascent: 260 HP / 277 ft-lb / 4400 lbs / 5000 lbs towing

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
119 Posts
7-passenger Premium, Silver Ice Metallic, package 14 (moonroof, etc), hitch.

We also found an error on Subaru's customer build website. They list the 2nd row sunshade as an option, which I wanted, but it is NOT available to order. Apparently it's only available on the Touring trim. When we were completing the order, it was not available.

The 3rd-row sunshade IS available, which is just a pop-in piece.

I compared the stats from my Grand Cherokee (2004, V8, 4WD):
* Jeep: 235 HP / 295 ft-lb / 4017 lbs / 7000 lbs towing
* Ascent: 260 HP / 277 ft-lb / 4400 lbs / 5000 lbs towing
I thought the 2nd row sunshades were standard on the Limited & Touring trims?

·
Registered
49 Posts
2nd row sunshade is standard on limited and touring trims
I'm seeing conflicting documentation on the sunshades. Are you sure they're on the limited (gosh, I hope so)? Can limited owners who've got their Ascent already confirm?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm seeing conflicting documentation on the sunshades. Are you sure they're on the limited (gosh, I hope so)? Can limited owners who've got their Ascent already confirm?
While I don't have mine yet when we did get to check out a regional sales managers Ascent a month ago he had a Limited and that model did have the shades in the 2nd row.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, sorry to confuse things by saying that. I guess the salesman that was helping figure that out only checked the Touring.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts