Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a message from a friend at the dealer we frequent, and he told me "can you get here early we have a Ascent" so of course I said yes !! It was my day off what else do I have to do....

So I got to the dealer early and to look at the Blue and Brown touring Ascent they had, funny thing this car had tons of Subaru decals all over since I guess they wanted everyone that passed it to know what it was.

I will say first thing that impressed me was how nice this car is I mean its a Subaru and IMO they are the nicer of the Japanese cars but this thing is way nicer than our Outback just the fit and finish worlds better in comparison.

So I will start off wit the interior seats are super comfy tons and tons of room, I am not very tall about 5' 7'' but the guy I was with is about 6' 2'' and he still had lots of head room and room to move about in the cabin of the car , the AC seats are great its hot here in the south in the 80's today and that was a nice plus glad we got the touring. The info center is a lot better than the 17 outback we have now more user friendly IMO, the rear camera is the same as previous models the front is the same as the rear which is nice huge viewing angle, the rearview mirror is cool I can see where it may wear off later on, the cool factor that is, so on to the captains chairs in the middle both of us had lots of room and were able to get in and out just fine. The rear doors open super super wide and that is a plus especially if you have little ones like we do. The separate climate control there is a nice touch as well as vent in the ceiling, I think that really cools thing down in the cabin quickly. The third row is surprisingly spacious compared to other cars we looked at like the Atlas, and with the third row up there is still plenty of room back there for small things, I would guess a suitcase even for a weekend trip if you pack light, but with the third row down you could pack just about anything you want in it.

Now for how the car gets down the road its not slow and it doesn't have a lot of turbo lag I would guess this car is hitting some good boost low and it has about as much low end torque anyone would need in that type of car, no its not a race car but it will definitely get out of its own way and quick. The body role on some quick turns at speed is nothing it hugs the curves like a AWD Subaru should the steering is tight and very point and thats where you go, something you would expect from a Subaru. I would say if you are on the fence about this car drive yourself a 3.6 outback and that is the Ascent in a nut shell. I also would point out how quiet it is way quieter than my STi that I drove there but then again that car is a touch lout ;)

I suck and didn't take any pictures that really are not already here, please post up any questions you may have and I will do my best to answer them I was basically all over the car for a good while and we took it out for a good little spin.

Overall I am happy with out purchase even more now and I can't wait for it to get here in JULY !!!

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I got a message from a friend at the dealer we frequent, and he told me "can you get here early we have a Ascent" so of course I said yes !! It was my day off what else do I have to do....

So I got to the dealer early and to look at the Blue and Brown touring Ascent they had, funny thing this car had tons of Subaru decals all over since I guess they wanted everyone that passed it to know what it was.

I will say first thing that impressed me was how nice this car is I mean its a Subaru and IMO they are the nicer of the Japanese cars but this thing is way nicer than our Outback just the fit and finish worlds better in comparison.

So I will start off wit the interior seats are super comfy tons and tons of room, I am not very tall about 5' 7'' but the guy I was with is about 6' 2'' and he still had lots of head room and room to move about in the cabin of the car , the AC seats are great its hot here in the south in the 80's today and that was a nice plus glad we got the touring. The info center is a lot better than the 17 outback we have now more user friendly IMO, the rear camera is the same as previous models the front is the same as the rear which is nice huge viewing angle, the rearview mirror is cool I can see where it may wear off later on, the cool factor that is, so on to the captains chairs in the middle both of us had lots of room and were able to get in and out just fine. The rear doors open super super wide and that is a plus especially if you have little ones like we do. The separate climate control there is a nice touch as well as vent in the ceiling, I think that really cools thing down in the cabin quickly. The third row is surprisingly spacious compared to other cars we looked at like the Atlas, and with the third row up there is still plenty of room back there for small things, I would guess a suitcase even for a weekend trip if you pack light, but with the third row down you could pack just about anything you want in it.

Now for how the car gets down the road its not slow and it doesn't have a lot of turbo lag I would guess this car is hitting some good boost low and it has about as much low end torque anyone would need in that type of car, no its not a race car but it will definitely get out of its own way and quick. The body role on some quick turns at speed is nothing it hugs the curves like a AWD Subaru should the steering is tight and very point and thats where you go, something you would expect from a Subaru. I would say if you are on the fence about this car drive yourself a 3.6 outback and that is the Ascent in a nut shell. I also would point out how quiet it is way quieter than my STi that I drove there but then again that car is a touch lout ;)

I suck and didn't take any pictures that really are not already here, please post up any questions you may have and I will do my best to answer them I was basically all over the car for a good while and we took it out for a good little spin.

Overall I am happy with out purchase even more now and I can't wait for it to get here in JULY !!!
No pix?! UGH! :)

Were you able to get up to highway speeds/pass anyone?

Thoughts on captains chairs versus bench?

How were the shelf things for your phone? Will your phone bounce around / fit with a case on?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pix?! UGH! :)

Were you able to get up to highway speeds/pass anyone?

Thoughts on captains chairs versus bench?

How were the shelf things for your phone? Will your phone bounce around / fit with a case on?

SORRY about the pics truthfully I didn't even think about it until afterwards lol.

Yes got to highway speeds and it does have some pep and passing someone at 60-75 is with ease the CVT actually puts you in the power band without having to mash it down, it doesn't feel like its under powered at all.

I don't have anything to compare it to bench vs captain since there was just the one touring, I do think that the ease of the third row will be hindered with a bench over the captains just for the ease of going in-between the seats.

The shelf is nice I didn't use it to hold my phone but I did put it in there and my iPhone 7 plus with a tech 21 fit fine, I think you could even put a iPad in the passenger side the driver is a lot smaller. I do think if your on some winding roads it may slide around but on long trips on the interstate then it would be great for a phone, map, or paperwork.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I heard the CVT has been updated just for the new Ascent so how is it in mimicking shifts? Coming from a 2013 CX-9 this is kind of important to me since I like the feel of a "traditional" automatic but the economy of a CVT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't get to drive it but I remembered the pictures

Our local dealer called just before lunch to let me know they had a Touring. I was not given an opportunity to drive it but did get to start it up, crawl through it, and push buttons. We ordered the brown based on the photos others have posted here but was glad for the opportunity to see the car in person.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Our local dealer called just before lunch to let me know they had a Touring. I was not given an opportunity to drive it but did get to start it up, crawl through it, and push buttons. We ordered the brown based on the photos others have posted here but was glad for the opportunity to see the car in person.
Sweet! Thanks for the photos.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
SORRY about the pics truthfully I didn't even think about it until afterwards lol.

Yes got to highway speeds and it does have some pep and passing someone at 60-75 is with ease the CVT actually puts you in the power band without having to mash it down, it doesn't feel like its under powered at all.

I don't have anything to compare it to bench vs captain since there was just the one touring, I do think that the ease of the third row will be hindered with a bench over the captains just for the ease of going in-between the seats.

The shelf is nice I didn't use it to hold my phone but I did put it in there and my iPhone 7 plus with a tech 21 fit fine, I think you could even put a iPad in the passenger side the driver is a lot smaller. I do think if your on some winding roads it may slide around but on long trips on the interstate then it would be great for a phone, map, or paperwork.
Awesome thank you!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks! As one of those who has ordered brown and still a little nervous, it’s helpful to see more photos. Due to the pearlescent color, it seems to look great in some lights and meh in others.

I remain optimistic that we will love it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks! As one of those who has ordered brown and still a little nervous, it’s helpful to see more photos. Due to the pearlescent color, it seems to look great in some lights and meh in others.

I remain optimistic that we will love it.
Oh man, I hear you. We debated over and over about the brown and decided against it. In some lighting it looks pretty cool, but not always IMO. Still not sure if Ill regret not getting it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I heard the CVT has been updated just for the new Ascent so how is it in mimicking shifts? Coming from a 2013 CX-9 this is kind of important to me since I like the feel of a "traditional" automatic but the economy of a CVT.
Yes this is a new high torque CVT there is a thread here about it on here, its as smooth if not smoother than our 17 Outback no real shift feel like in older CVTs does a very good job of rev matching to the point that you can hardly tell that it is shifting especially city driving.

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great pics I really liked the brown but there was no talking my wife into that color.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm glad you got to experience all of this, and are answering questions.
It should be noted that production hasn't started yet, and what you experienced was the pre-production model. There may be some subtle differences in the models that come off of the production line starting later this month.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm glad you got to experience all of this, and are answering questions.
It should be noted that production hasn't started yet, and what you experienced was the pre-production model. There may be some subtle differences in the models that come off of the production line starting later this month.
yes that is definitely true, I doubt there will be a lot of differences since from what I head these test mules have had a lot of good luck. I am also definitely not Carl or Jason just a Subaru enthusiast that has bought a lot of Subarus over the years, and I don't hold a candle to the ones my parents have bought. I just want to contribute here to the best of my ability and give a insight from the consumer side of things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh man, I hear you. We debated over and over about the brown and decided against it. In some lighting it looks pretty cool, but not always IMO. Still not sure if Ill regret not getting it.
I agree - depending on the light the color changes. After seeing it in person, in sunlight (granted we were in there service area but the back end was in sunlight) the brown seems to glow. Almost a bronze color. We initially ordered the blue but switched to the brown. Our sales rep wasn't sure if she could change the first order. If she couldn't, she was just going to order a second one with our name on it in brown - which I hope is the case because we can choose when they arrive.

·
Registered
644 Posts

load it up with people and tow something up the mountain and then say it's not underpowered. That will be the true test of this engines capability

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
load it up with people and tow something up the mountain and then say it's not underpowered. That will be the true test of this engines capability

yes that would be, although how many times will the average person do that in this car slim. there were 5 people in the car when I drove it so that added at least 1000lbs.

I bought the Ascent for a people hauler, I would bet about 75% or more of the other people that have and will buy one will use it for the same, If I am going to tow something I will use my truck.

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Registered
168 Posts
Those of us in the midwest will try our hardest to find a mountain and get back to you on that. :tango_face_wink:

Ultimately, between the discussions about how hard it is to access the third row, towing up a trailer up a mountain, sleeping in the back or just driving your family to the lake, this site is nice for everyone individually. Helping people decide options or accessories is wonderful. It has helped me and well as calming my nerves about the blind investment.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you plan on maxing it out while driving up a mountain you probably should be looking at a Tahoe or Expedition.

I would think the Ascent would do well if compared to the AWD Traverse, Atlas, Highlander, or Pilot due to the fact that a turbo is meant to deal with altitude. If you really wanted more power then go with the twin turbo V6 Explorer or V8 Durango but pay for it in MPG. I have to say I love the how many options are available in this space and I'm glad Subaru is adding one more!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts