Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a funny story - a couple of hours after I dropped off my 2011 Honda Odyssey for (yet another) recall to be addressed and to have a state inspection done, my husband called me and asked me if I'd had the car inspected yet. I explained it was in progress and he said "well, get them to stop so we don't have to pay for it. I bought you a new car."

I was kind of terrified. Who buys someone a car without, you know, discussing it first?

Anyway. Apparently he'd ordered an Ascent some weeks back and been told delivery would be some time end of July/beginning of August. He was pretty shocked last week when they called him and said it was already in and asked if he could pick it up Saturday! So I spent a few hours decontaminating and cleaning the minivan so I could sell it and we went ahead and traded it in and picked up the Ascent last Saturday. I'm loving it so far.

It's a fully loaded touring model. It's cinnamon brown pearl. I'm having a few issues with CarPlay but otherwise everything is very intuitive and comfortable. Looking forward to my next road trip with renewed enthusiasm! I guess my husband knew me well enough to buy me a car after all!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. I have to ask, @gobears157 - you talking about the Golden Bears? Cal alum here - 1992 model :) Kind of random if the first person to respond to my post in this forum is a fellow alum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad it was well received since I’ve bought an Ascent without telling my wife. Our 13th anniversary is 7/16 which is also the approximate eta. Still not sure how I’m going to do the reveal since I purchased out of state... It’s a magnetite gray limited with op 23 and a hitch.

·
Registered
277 Posts
. I'm having a few issues with CarPlay but otherwise everything
Could you please more details on CarPlay issues? I never had one in a car, but my understanding is that you just connect phone via usb and car head unit will allow to directly use some (CarPlay compatible ) apps like apple maps, etc

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could you please more details on CarPlay issues? I never had one in a car, but my understanding is that you just connect phone via usb and car head unit will allow to directly use some (CarPlay compatible ) apps like apple maps, etc

Thanks.
Sure. I was actually about to post a new thread about this when I saw your response :)
So - for the first couple of days, CarPlay worked just as expected. I plugged in the phone and everything was fine and dandy - music, podcasts (I use the Overcast app which works fine on CarPlay), phone calls, messages, no issues. Then on like the third day, I had a problem with phone calls. If I answered the phone, no one could hear me. If I made a call, no one could hear me. Also I couldn't hear them on incoming or outgoing calls. If I pushed the speech command button, while the Siri screen would display, no audio "how can I help you" or whatever would play.

The first time it happened, I fixed it by rebooting the car and rebooting my phone. But as of today, i cannot get it to work at all. It's JUST the phone calls affected. Music, podcasts, maps, whatever - that's all fine. I just can't make/receive calls with car play. Or rather - I can, but there is no audio, which pretty much defeats the purpose. Once a call is connected if I unplug the phone I can continue the call using the actual handheld phone just fine, but that's illegal here first of all and super annoying second of all.

Things I have tried:

-rebooting everything before reconnecting to carplay
-"forgetting" my Ascent in the iOS CarPlay settings, rebooting the phone and the car, reconnecting to CarPlay
-putting the phone in aiplane mode, rebooting, taking it out of airplane mode, before connecting to CarPlay

Anyone got any other bright ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also - some pics :)
The last 3 show it fully loaded with my kids' camp stuff that I had to drop off this morning. Note the rear view mirror displaying the view from the camera so I can see behind me even though as you see the interior is packed with luggage completely obscuring the rear window :)

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thanks for your pics. Some have reported the car had a little more road noise than expected and some have reported it's super quiet- Whats you take in the real world over different road textures?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for your pics. Some have reported the car had a little more road noise than expected and some have reported it's super quiet- Whats you take in the real world over different road textures?
I picked mine up Tuesday. First thing I noticed once I hit the road was how quiet it was inside. Now my frame of reference is 4 previous foresters and one outback. Much more quiet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sure. I was actually about to post a new thread about this when I saw your response :)
So - for the first couple of days, CarPlay worked just as expected. I plugged in the phone and everything was fine and dandy - music, podcasts (I use the Overcast app which works fine on CarPlay), phone calls, messages, no issues. Then on like the third day, I had a problem with phone calls. If I answered the phone, no one could hear me. If I made a call, no one could hear me. Also I couldn't hear them on incoming or outgoing calls. If I pushed the speech command button, while the Siri screen would display, no audio "how can I help you" or whatever would play.

The first time it happened, I fixed it by rebooting the car and rebooting my phone. But as of today, i cannot get it to work at all. It's JUST the phone calls affected. Music, podcasts, maps, whatever - that's all fine. I just can't make/receive calls with car play. Or rather - I can, but there is no audio, which pretty much defeats the purpose. Once a call is connected if I unplug the phone I can continue the call using the actual handheld phone just fine, but that's illegal here first of all and super annoying second of all.

Things I have tried:

-"forgetting" my Ascent in the iOS CarPlay settings, rebooting the phone and the car, reconnecting to CarPlay
-putting the phone in aiplane mode, rebooting, taking it out of airplane mode, before connecting to CarPlay

Just out of curiosity, have you tried phone calls just using Bluetooth, and not CarPlay? I an an Apple user so this is concerning to me

·
Premium Member
565 Posts

Things I have tried:

Have you tried a different cable by chance?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you tried a different cable by chance?

Of course :)
That said, I have an update. Frustrated, I decided the only way to know for sure if the problem was my car or my phone was to connect another phone. Took one of the kids’ phones...same model, same version iOS. It worked fine. Then when I reconnected mine - still working fine. If the problem recurs I am going to follow up with Apple - there is a CarPlay expert at our local Apple store with whom I have discussed this to death already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I feel like there is no difference in road noise between this and my 2011 Odyssey if that means anything. That said it’s rare for me to be alone in the car and once you throw in a few teens and a dog, road noise is largely irrelevant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts