Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Puma 16DSX last week. Towed it back home and never read the manual. I got a weight distribution hitch and sway control. I’m reading now that it can ruin my frame....so I’m already freaking out. Drove about 350 miles with it.

I’m going camping with it this weekend. 410lb tongue weight and 3600 dry weight. I won’t be packing much at all in it.

anyone know of a good hitch that I can use from autozone? Any suggestions for a adjustable drop hitch?

i did not receive one when I had mine installed from the dealer. I even asked about it.

I know there’s a couple people who tow regularly in here. Any suggestions on a hitch and ball I can go pick up would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Adjustable is good, but ball adapters are pretty cheap and readily available at HD, Lowes and auto stores. I have three that cover my different combos of tow vehicles and trailers. If you're sticking with one vehicle and trailer, you really only need one.

Agree that a benign tow with a WDH is very unlikely to cause a problem. Getting near max static + dynamic loading is where issues could arise. Subaru only tells you what static limits are. Actual dynamic loads can easily exceed those by a factor of 2 or more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was on the phone with Robert. Dude, you’re awesome.

Thinking the noise is my CVT chain. So I’m not too worried anymore.

took my trailer (full gear to test) to a weight station. 470lb tongue weight with full propane tank and battery on the front of the trailer. Now I know I’m in the clear. Packed my fridge, pantry, and bathroom with gear which is on the far edge of trailer so I know it’ll decrease the tongue weight.

pulled like a champion this weekend. Full trailer, kayaks, girlfriend, and dog!! Now I need to learn more on how to backup these things lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts