Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some winter driving out west coming up in the new year. Just have the stock tires on our 2019 Ascent Touring, and will have maybe 9K miles on them at start of the trip, with total during the trip of maybe 5K more. May get into some places that would require chains or cables in the car in order to proceed. Any recommendations? Tire size is 245/50R20.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
You cannot use chains on the Ascent...Subaru forbids it. You'll need to carry and alternative type of traction device, such as the cable type, et.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Did a better search and found an older thread with more info that I'm digging through: https://www.ascentforums.com/threads/cable-chain-suggestion.4967/
Short version:
  • Autosocks are accepted in all 50 states.
  • Get socks or S type cables that state they are compatible with the Ascent. Do not use any other type of chain/cable system.
  • In most states, 3PMSF rated all terrains or snow tires are sufficient on a Subaru.
  • Only get two cables/socks
  • Only use them on your front wheels.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For what it's worth, I ended up with a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQ1YUC/ - they were cheaper by about $10 than Autosocks that I could find, and would get here in time for our trip (I forgot about ordering until almost too late). I hope never to use them except to get past checkpoints when required and I'm confident enough that I won't actually need them. (Otherwise we'll go back somewhere we feel safer :cool:) They come in a plastic box, about 17.5" x 8" x 8" and weigh about 13.5 lb.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just make sure you confirm fitment part number via peerless website. The Amazon fitment guides and pictures have burned me in the past.

I like those... Have used them a few times on other cars. I find the rubber band like tensioner much easier to use then other cable chains.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have very rarely used chains or cables in nearly 50 years of driving despite living in areas that get plenty of snow and have chain laws. I never had any difficulties when I did use them, but I have seen damage caused when the break or get loose. By comparison, the Tire Socks seem pretty benign.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Check points that require the carry of chains/cables to proceed do not check for fit. I bought a set at the local thrift store for $4. In fact, I even took the cables out of the box and use it to store other supplies that I do need to carry; flashlight, road flares, emergency blanket and water bottles. I show them the box with the label and they wave me through. In actuality, I've only been stopped to show the box going into Yosemite Valley. I have no idea why there and no place else.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
? We traveled to Yosemite almost 3 years ago and had a rental car. I was able to find some cheap-enough cables in the Bay Area before we headed to the park. We stopped at the Rangers on the way out to donate the cables for someone else that might need them...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd never owned a Subaru so I bought cables for a trip to Tahoe within weeks of buying the car. I was shocked to find I didn't need them in the snowstorm even in several feet deep snow. Always waved past when the patrols saw the Subaru badge. This year when we were buying a 2020 Outback, the sales person laughed at my comment about buying cables for my Ascent. I mean, who knew that I could drive in such snow and feel so safe without cables!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts