Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2019+ Touring model with stock 20 inch tires. Last week here in Northern VA we had our first snow of less than 2" and it was mostly slush on the road. While driving I heard a new noise and it sounded like something rubbing. Anyway I stopped to check. The rear wheel well was filled with slush and it was making the rubbing sound on the tire. Since it was half frozen slush I did not have a problem knocking it off but if had frozen that might have been a different situation. Anybody have the same problem? Solution?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I had the same experience. Not an issue if you garage your car as it will melt off overnight. But mine froze up outdoors overnight and I had to kick it off as the car warmed up. That is a new one for me.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I believe it has to do with the amount of heat being accumulated in the wheel-well area and the fact that the liner is plastic. You can't control the heat, but you can treat the plastic wheel-well liners. There's some phenomenon about plastic holding on to water more than some other material. Another reason why I believe a lot of trucks don't come w/ liners.

Like our dish washers, we have to include the drying agent for plastic to dry quicker - same principle.

Just food for thought...

·
Registered
646 Posts
It will happen on any car where the slush is near freezing then hits something below freezing and solidifies.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I believe it has to do with the amount of heat being accumulated in the wheel-well area and the fact that the liner is plastic. You can't control the heat, but you can treat the plastic wheel-well liners. There's some phenomenon about plastic holding on to water more than some other material. Another reason why I believe a lot of trucks don't come w/ liners.

Like our dish washers, we have to include the drying agent for plastic to dry quicker - same principle.

Just food for thought...
It was also the perfect recipe for this build up. There was thick snow and sleet that then turned to thick slush due to road temperatures. On top of that it started to rain which just made for this thick soup that stuck to everything for 12 hours. My poor boots had it caked in the treads.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It's probably one of those idiosyncrasies of the vehicle that the engineers could not anticipate. Something similar to my Ridgeline, where the snow piles up in the cowl at the bottom of the windshield because of how the hood is designed .

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a new 2019+ Touring model with stock 20 inch tires. Last week here in Northern VA we had our first snow of less than 2" and it was mostly slush on the road. While driving I heard a new noise and it sounded like something rubbing. Anyway I stopped to check. The rear wheel well was filled with slush and it was making the rubbing sound on the tire. Since it was half frozen slush I did not have a problem knocking it off but if had frozen that might have been a different situation. Anybody have the same problem? Solution?
We just call that "winter" here in Western NY. ;)

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
225 Posts
Fairly normal my Ram truck did the same thing. The wheel well liners are not smooth. They have lots of surface area and let the ice stick and build up as you drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.