Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some snippets of my Soft Roading and Off Roading in my Subaru Ascent. Some simple things, and some pretty impressive things (such as 30° plus rutted hill climbs, and some Pine Barrens soft sand trails).

Sadly, not many outside action shots. But, when I've got Ryan in tow, I can get some very close up ones... the advantage of having worked on indie films with someone for 3/4 of a decade... trusting each other, even around very heavy very dangerous equipment. ?

Don't forget to donate to my fundraiser for Make-A-Wish...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
802 Posts
Impressive Robert, especially with no underbody protection over those rocks!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No under body protection? I crawled under my Ascent and it looks to me like it has full skid plates front to rear.
Sadly, except for the CVT.
Impressive Robert, especially with no underbody protection over those rocks!
I have Primitive Racing skid plates on the car, front, mid armor and rear differential. At the 7m21s mark, you can see the aluminum lip of the front skid plate. It's tough to notice if you don't know what to look for.

I did want to do some drive-over vids, but we never got around to it. Maybe next spring and summer.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The Jeep guy in the Pine Barrens opening scene immediately jumping out to guide you as you nearly rear end him for stopping that close was pretty humous.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Jeep guy in the Pine Barrens opening scene immediately jumping out to guide you as you nearly rear end him for stopping that close was pretty humous.
LMAO, nah, he actually challenged me to follow him. I don't think he expected I could do it, and he'd gotten out to watch. He was quite impressed (and said as much) and walked away grinning. ??

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
^^^
He looked a little sheepish to me. Seemed like he thought no way and got out to gloat.
He'd never seen a Subaru that big and that heavy before, much less one capable of so much when so close to stock.

Perhaps he intended to gloat - he definitely thought I wouldn't make it - but it turned into genuine admiration when he saw how easily the Ascent did it...

...and, I made sure I kept him admiring the Ascent for the entire rest of the day when my Ascent followed them through everything. ?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Impressive! Which tires/wheels do you use?
Thanks, Max! I am running Liquid Metal Shadows, 17" with Kumho Road Venture AT51s in stock matching size of 245/65R17.

The Kumhos have turned out to be absolute beasts, but start to perform poorly on packed snow and ice when they get high mileage. I've got over 45,000 miles on mine, and they have plenty of tread left.

I am replacing them with BFGoodrich KO2s, to restore my winter performance before this year's winter adventures, and to get stronger sidewalls for this summer's crazier adventures (currently 15,000 miles of road trips planned, exclusively with the intention to off road across the country).

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
... for this summer's crazier adventures (currently 15,000 miles of road trips planned, exclusively with the intention to off road across the country).
Are you going to be posting that route in here again this year?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you going to be posting that route in here again this year?
Most definitely. I managed to meet over 150 other Subie owners last time. I hope to meet even more and adventure with a lot more of you this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.