Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Ascent smokes upon startup. It doesn't matter how long it sits. Anyone else have smoking issues. Sometimes really bad.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
There has been at least 1 other thread about this. Do you park it on an incline by any chance?
See if what is described here is what you’re experiencing:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have same thing on my 2019 Premium. Most recent last Sunday. Since i got car, i have about 5000 m, no oil change yet, and it happens time to time. I lease it, so dont really pay much attention to that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There has been at least 1 other thread about this. Do you park it on an incline by any chance?
See if what is described here is what you’re experiencing:
yes experiencing same thing but no I don't have parked on a incline .

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also am experiencing the same thing Not parked on any incline or decline. Always garaged. Not sitting for more than overnight before next use. The smoke almost has a bluish light gray color as well as a distinctive scent (one I’m not familiar with smelling) from an exhaust, not that I go around sniffing (no trolling lol). Let me know what you guys come up with. It doesn’t happen all the time either. Kind of random.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Blue color indicates burning oil. I had a brief puff of blue smoke on day 2 with my 2020. I checked the oil level and it was overfilled. I did an oil change, myself, making sure not to overfill. No more blue smoke. Oil capacity is 4.8 quarts with filter change. Unfortunately folks just add 5 quarts when changing oil because that is how you purchase oil from retailers. I'm of the opinion that oil levels are sensitive with the new engines. Most web sites say overfilling by a small amount is not that big of a deal. I'm not sure of that with these new engines. I will be doing my own oil changes being careful not to overfill. I have an email from Subaru telling me that as long as I keep receipts, doing my own oil changes will not invalidate my warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For anyone experiencing the plume.... I'm not implying a cause here in either case, but I'm curious as to how many miles were on the odometer when you took delivery and, to a lesser extent, whether you followed the engine break-in procedure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine has been doing this since new. I’ve taken it to the dealer twice specifically for this issue and they tell me that it is normal. I have several videos. It doesn’t do it all the time. Here is a link to the video from my doorbell camera Smokey startup. Does this look normal to you?
My 2019 Ascent smokes upon startup. It doesn't matter how long it sits. Anyone else have smoking issues. Sometimes really bad.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Mine has been doing this since new. I’ve taken it to the dealer twice specifically for this issue and they tell me that it is normal. I have several videos. It doesn’t do it all the time. Here is a link to the video from my doorbell camera Smokey startup. Does this look normal to you?
It goes to a Ring share link. Can you put the video elsewhere?

·
Registered
685 Posts
@SpottyTao

I was able to watch it. If either one of my 2.5H4t (ej255) smoked like that at start up I would think there was something wrong with them. In fact, one does smoke like that, it needs a new motor.

I am not comparing apple to apples, but that amount of smoke doesn't seem right.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
In the Porsche world, if it smokes like that for 20-30secs, it’s normal
I think that's because it's a boxer motor thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For anyone experiencing the plume.... I'm not implying a cause here in either case, but I'm curious as to how many miles were on the odometer when you took delivery and, to a lesser extent, whether you followed the engine break-in procedure.
It’s been doing this since new, July 2018. it started to do this within a few days of delivery. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said it was probably a fluke and to see how it behaves after putting some miles on it. It used to automatically set the parking brake when I parked it too. But that stopped after a few weeks. It now has 10000 miles on it I followed the manufacturers break-in procedure

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
It used to automatically set the parking brake when I parked it too. But that stopped after a few weeks.
It doesn't have that feature. But, Auto Vehicle Hold may sometimes do that. Did you turn AVH off?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
It doesn't have that feature. But, Auto Vehicle Hold may sometimes do that. Did you turn AVH off?
Robert,

There was some mention (see below) from Subaru of a known smoking issue on start up and wonder if there is a TSB on the issue. On one hand I would expect there to be one but on the other I am reading a wide range of dealership responses.

"One of SOA's biggest concerns is with 2.4L Turbo engine oil dilution and or extensive smoking following cold engine start. This item is a carryover item from [quality monitoring team] but it seems only achieved SBR's full attention recently."

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
...(I) wonder if there is a TSB on the issue
No TSB the last time I checked. The number of reports, if the forum's 6.5% ownership representation is statistically indicative, is very low. Until a root cause is found, I doubt there'll be a TSB. The advantage of the numbers being very low is that it's not a design issue (and instead likely a parts defect or assembly issue). The disadvantage is that it's more difficult to track down the root cause. ?

I am keeping an eye out, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@SpottyTao

I was able to watch it. If either one of my 2.5H4t (ej255) smoked like that at start up I would think there was something wrong with them. In fact, one does smoke like that, it needs a new motor.

I am not comparing apple to apples, but that amount of smoke doesn't seem right.
I have never used AVH

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also am experiencing the same thing Not parked on any incline or decline. Always garaged. Not sitting for more than overnight before next use. The smoke almost has a bluish light gray color as well as a distinctive scent (one I’m not familiar with smelling) from an exhaust, not that I go around sniffing (no trolling lol). Let me know what you guys come up with. It doesn’t happen all the time either. Kind of random.
I'm working with the dealer and Subaru to resolve. I am confident that they will.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have the same issue - dealer changed the PCV after instructions from Subaru Canada (multiple visits to the dealer prior to calling Subaru Canada didn't do anything as they were unable to recreate... In case other have the issue - go to Subaru directly, don't waste time with the dealer)

Now 1 month after new PCV problem is back.... any advice on next steps

Video of smoke

1 - 20 of 97 Posts