Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost 1000 miles in. Noticed a strong smell coming from front driver side wheel well. i cant call it a burning smell, maybe slightly. Pungent and smells up entire garage for 30 minutes. Ive smelled it 3 times now. First i thought insulation, heat shielding burning off, etc. I would think that by 1000 miles of heat cycles, things are burned off already. anyone else?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I find it tough to believe that there are still factory coatings burning off after that kind of mileage. Have you checked to see if any hoses maybe have become loose and are resting on a hot surface?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not thoroughly, just from engine bay looking around a bit with flashlight. I will look better in some daylight next chance i get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this same issue now at 700 miles, it has smelled like that since we picked it up new. Makes our garage stink and I've even smelled it through the vents sitting in traffic. It's not a pure oil smell more slightly sweet almost ATF smell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
normal for a new subaru, it's the cosmoline burning off. every new subaru i've owned has that smell (2003 wrx, 2006 sti, 2015 forester xt and 2019 ascent), it will eventually go away.

·
Banned
145 Posts
The heated steering wheel, seat, and car heater can smell until burned in. Also paint/fluid overspray takes time to burn off.

But if it gets worst or is really worrying you, take it in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you have the dealer install a block heater? I did and noticed a burning smell and found a bungee cord attached to the middle of the exhaust which it part of the block heater installation process to support the exhaust which needs to be disconnected to install the block heater. The tech clearly forgot to take off the bungee cord and it was melting on the exhaust pipe creating a burning rubber smell. Took of the cord and all good now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts