Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy pulled out in front of my wife. She smacked him pretty good. Totaled her vehicle so we are in the market for another one. Thankful she was not injured. My biggest complaint.. the ridiculous cup holders in the center console. 2 drinks flung everywhere!

Attachments

Administrator
So glad to hear your wife wasn't injured! 馃槉
Sorry to hear about your Subie... 馃槩
...and your drinks, lol!!! 馃ぃ

Registered
Guy pulled out in front of my wife. She smacked him pretty good. Totaled her vehicle so we are in the market for another one. Thankful she was not injured. My biggest complaint.. the ridiculous cup holders in the center console. 2 drinks flung everywhere!
the damage does not appear to be significant but I suppose there could be major structural damage. Just surprised at it being totaled by insurance. How much did they estimate the repair to be?

Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
the damage does not appear to be significant but I suppose there could be major structural damage. Just surprised at it being totaled by insurance. How much did they estimate the repair to be?
Having worked with manufacturers on the technology side of crash simulations (and worked in a body shop way back), I suspect that some of these "minor-looking" collisions affected crumple zones. In the past, when unibody metal thickness and stiffness was consistent throughout the structure, it was possible to cut back to a non-critical-stress area and weld in (clip) a new/used structure. Only a highly skilled and knowledgeable body shop (or a completely reckless one) would try this with a newer car.

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
Glad that the humans came out of that ok....that's what counts the most. Vehicles can be replaced or fixed

2 drinks flung everywhere!
In a "sandwich" accident we had on the 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited I drove two vehicles ago, we were on the way to the airport to fly off on vacation and had leveraged Starbucks to have breakfast on the go. We had to stop suddenly on the Interstate because someone else caused an accident from weaving and we got majorly rear-ended into the traffic in front of us. That was by a big old Caddy doing high speed, even though "we" successfully stopped already before hitting. 10 vehicles all ccrunched up at that point. Yup...the entire front of the cabin was covered in my beloved latt茅. (and Professor Dr SWMBO's drink, too) We were both covered by airbag dust and coffee....quite the combination. Both front and back of the vehicle were "not pretty", either. (Albeit fixed for $26K because it was a brand new vehicle with ACV much higher than that and no twisty damage) Both we and the kids had no injuries thankfully and were able to fly out later that day with the understanding and help of the airline.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be honest I didn't ask. I do know that the driver side door was not opening very easy. My insurance company just called a couple days after the wreck and said totaled. The person that fully understands insurance is a whole lot smarter than me!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad that the humans came out of that ok....that's what counts the most. Vehicles can be replaced or fixed

In a "sandwich" accident we had on the 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited I drove two vehicles ago, we were on the way to the airport to fly off on vacation and had leveraged Starbucks to have breakfast on the go. We had to stop suddenly on the Interstate because someone else caused an accident from weaving and we got majorly rear-ended into the traffic in front of us. That was by a big old Caddy doing high speed, even though "we" successfully stopped already before hitting. 10 vehicles all ccrunched up at that point. Yup...the entire front of the cabin was covered in my beloved latt茅. (and Professor Dr SWMBO's drink, too) We were both covered by airbag dust and coffee....quite the combination. Both front and back of the vehicle were "not pretty", either. (Albeit fixed for $26K because it was a brand new vehicle with ACV much higher than that and no twisty damage) Both we and the kids had no injuries thankfully and were able to fly out later that day with the understanding and help of the airline.
Funny you mention the dust. My wife of course was shaken and she kept saying that she thought the car was on fire due to that smoke!

Administrator
@JC Subie possibly. Let me know what area you're located in.

Registered
Quick question.... We are wanting another Ascent. Any thoughts on great deals coming in at New Years?
I imagine the low financing will remain. In addition try and find a dealership that has had some inventory sitting and time it for their monthly sales/ inventory incentive. I had posted a video link in another thread in this forum some really good videos on how to get good deals. If you can figure out the next new car show that will be in the area, the manufacturers will have specials to for the consumer to use at the dealerships. I do not know how covid lock downs might impact those dates nor whether you can wait until then.

Check out Kevin Hunter's videos on buying cars. and here

At least now you have some experience with the Ascent features so you can fine tune what you want to order or take off the lot.

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
Funny you mention the dust. My wife of course was shaken and she kept saying that she thought the car was on fire due to that smoke!
Yea, that was our first experience with air bags. "Who knew" that there would be so much, um...stuff...released. :D The slight abrasions were interesting too. But you know what? They did their job as you also experienced and I'm glad that the "dirty inconvenience" was way, way overshadowed by zero injuries.

I'm glad you're going to opt for another Ascent. There is so much to like and enjoy. And there are solutions for those front cupholders, too, here in the forums. This will be a good time for you and your other half to consider if there's anything more you might want over how your previous Ascent was equipped. Use the experience to help with your choice decision.

Registered
If you can hold out until Dec 31st, that is supposed to be the absolute best day to make a deal. Why? End of month, end of quarter, end of year. Dealerships pay taxes on inventory sitting on the lot by Dec 31st. Just my $.02. Glad everyone was okay. Make your best deal with the information and experience you have.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
21... It was very hard car shopping during this time. Started in mid December and ended up buying in mid January. Deals were not easy to come by. I think we got a decent deal. I have already installed the Subaru brand hitch, second row sunshades, and third row sunshades.

Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
21... It was very hard car shopping during this time. Started in mid December and ended up buying in mid January. Deals were not easy to come by. I think we got a decent deal. I have already installed the Subaru brand hitch, second row sunshades, and third row sunshades.
The insurance company let you disassemble those parts before taking possession?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry... I should have been more specific. Our 2019 was totaled and only had a uhaul receiver that was already installed. We bought the 2019 used. We have a 2021 now. I bought the Subaru receiver and sunshades and put them on our new one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts