Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who has a touring, do you find the smart rear view camera offer better/wider view and potentially eliminate blind spots?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry if it was confusing, not the standard back up/reverse camera, but the smart rearview mirror camera that only comes with the touring model. wondering if it provides a wider angle than the standard mirror view so potentially reducing blind spots?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
There are no blind spots if you set your mirrors so that the
- [rear view] -
mirrors form a panorama where each mirror's image blends into the next one. Click the link in my signature - a very short but informative article. Like anything of this nature, it may be hard to break a bad habit, but it's effective if you embrace it.

The camera is cool though. I think I have read that the image is a bit wider than the actual mirror.​

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yes, at first I kind of didn't like it, but then I realized it was showing me a 180 degree view. While on the interstate, I could see all 4 lands of traffic behind me. I love it and don't ever flip back to the other one. Get your "regular" one all lined up and then just sit in a parking lot and flip between them.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There are no blind spots if you set your mirrors so that the
- [rear view] -
mirrors form a panorama where each mirror's image blends into the next one. Click the link in my signature - a very short but informative article. Like anything of this nature, it may be hard to break a bad habit, but it's effective if you embrace it.

The camera is cool though. I think I have read that the image is a bit wider than the actual mirror.​

This is certainly true and how I have rocked my other cars and can't get why people want to see the same thing in 3 different mirrors. However in the Ascent I couldn't quite get it to where I could see the front of a car out of the corner of my eye as the rear of the car left the left or right mirror which I can do on my Impreza. With the camera I can easily do that.​

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
This is certainly true and how I have rocked my other cars and can't get why people want to see the same thing in 3 different mirrors. However in the Ascent I couldn't quite get it to where I could see the front of a car out of the corner of my eye as the rear of the car left the left or right mirror which I can do on my Impreza. With the camera I can easily do that.
Cool. I don't seem to have that issue but not everybody is the same size, etc. Out of curiosity, do you set the smart mirror to have more overlap with the side mirrors than you do with the real mirror? I would imagine yes, since that would create a too-wide field of view (I'm guessing). As it is, I may be at or close to the limit of side mirror adjustment. But it's enough to get that sweet sweet panorama. My wife has adopted this method too and she admits it was quite the epiphany!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Cool. I don't seem to have that issue but not everybody is the same size, etc. Out of curiosity, do you set the smart mirror to have more overlap with the side mirrors than you do with the real mirror? I would imagine yes, since that would create a too-wide field of view (I'm guessing). As it is, I may be at or close to the limit of side mirror adjustment. But it's enough to get that sweet sweet panorama. My wife has adopted this method too and she admits it was quite the epiphany!
I got my wife to switch too.

There is significant overlap. From what I remember the side mirrors are as far out as they can physically go.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
...can't get why people want to see the same thing in 3 different mirrors.
People are weird and driver's education is practically non-existent in this country. Don't you cringe when you're behind a car and the rear view mirror is cocked at a weird angle - seemingly so the driver can look at him/herself. lol.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I loaded my car up for a trip and the Smart mirror was awesome. I also had 7 passengers in the car and again used the Smart mirror and they all vanished, but I could see behind me.

I am not going to lie, it takes about 3 minutes to adjust to seeing it. My brain sees a TV screen when I am looking for a rearview mirror. Once I get used to it, I really like it. The trip mentioned above was about 3 hours of driving and I used it the whole way.

I also used it with my hitch mounted bike rack. It gave me a much better view than through the window.

So... I give it a thumbs up! ?

·
Registered
913 Posts
People are weird and driver's education is practically non-existent in this country. Don't you cringe when you're behind a car and the rear view mirror is cocked at a weird angle - seemingly so the driver can look at him/herself. lol.
A car has mirrors? What are they for?

Why do some people have those yellow lights on the back of the car that blink sometimes? It's confusing!

Why is it dangerous if I'm not looking out of the car, but instead fiddling with something inside the car?

-----------------------

The US driver's test is a joke and people still fail it! Take a look at the English driver's test. How many Americans driving today could pass it?

All I had to do was drive around a housing estate at 25mph and not run the stop signs. And that was 30 years ago!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Actually, I tilt mine (left side higher slightly than right) in order to see at the correct angle for my rearview since I am a petite 5'1" individual but have a long torso. If I have it straight I miss a portion in the back view on the left side.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Actually, I tilt mine (left side higher slightly than right) in order to see at the correct angle for my rearview since I am a petite 5'1" individual but have a long torso. If I have it straight I miss a portion in the back view on the left side.
That's cool. Whatever works. I was referring to cars where the mirror is definitely cocked for the driver's best view of their own face. It looks like somebody bumped into the mirror and put it severely out of wack. My wife is 5' and her mirrors are straight, but different car, different torso, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It is nice and gives a good view but as with all things of that nature you lose details, especially at a distance. When trying to spot a member of our law enforcement community I was unable to ascertain the identity with the RVC but was easily able to do so with real life view. These things can be very important if you are trying to be responsible to your emergency services :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I much like smart rear mirror and front mirror in Touring that I read from all of you. But I am sad that mine is Limited.:crying:

·
Registered
3 Posts
It seems to me that the smart mirror front & camera should be included with the towing package so that you can see if your trailer is trailing properly, and how much room you have in front to pull ahead when maneuvering in tight spaces.

Of course, I'd still much prefer a 2nd row bench in the Touring trim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts