Subaru Ascent Forum banner

SMART Camera & Rearview Mirror

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  demonsavatar 
#1 ·
Is it possible to add a SMART camera and upgraded rearview mirror to a Premium? If so, does anyone happen to know the part #s? I did a few quick looks on the parts sites but wasn't exactly sure what the SMART camera entails. My hope is that the connections are somehow hidden and accessible easy enough somewhere in the rear gate. And for the rearview mirror, hopefully it'd be a relatively simple swap. I'm always trying to keep our rear cargo low as to not block the view, so I thought this may potentially solve the issue. Thanks!

#2 ·
No one has figured out a way to do this and it's doubtful anyone will due the inherent difficulties of breaking into Subaru's OEM systems. Even if you purchased all the parts, the required connections and software might not be available on non-Touring models.

However you can add these features (and more) yourself. Look at this thread for more information.

#3 ·
No one has figured out a way to do this and it's doubtful anyone will due the inherent difficulties of breaking into Subaru's OEM systems. Even if you purchased all the parts, the required connections and software might not be available on non-Touring models.

However you can add these features (and more) yourself. Look at this thread for more information.
SMART camera (rearview mirror ) is not a part of any "OEM systems"
its just regular Gentex ADVGENFDMHL1 , and full kit is ~$550(use to be over $1000) @ crutchfield com
the only special part is the cover trim on your rear gate (don't have to use it )

now Gentex start making new model GENFDMHL2LN
with 2nd input front or rear backup camera (picture-in-picture view )

#14 ·
After inspecting the wiring harness diagrams in the service manual, the camera cord is wrapped with the Antenna harness.

This is the part list I have for adding the OEM smart rearview camera to a '23/'24 Ascent that already has the Auto-dimming Homelink mirror :

Part #CostBest Price FoundDescription
94310XC01AVH$64.00$44.54Liftgate trim cover for rear camera of smart rearview mirror
909130105$1.36Body D Pillar Trim Panel Clip. Door Interior Trim Panel Retainer.
86368XC10A$16.40$11.61SMT Mirror CMR Cover
86367XC10A$266.28$178.94Camera SMART Rear View. SMT Mirror CMR.
86377XC000$10.28Bracket SMT Mirror CMR
47406160$1.50Bracket screw
86374XC00A
86374XC00B
$781.71$641.00Display SMART Rear View Mirror. SMT Mirror DSP HLK.
86325XC65A
86325XC66A
$98.75$68.73Antenna Cable. Radio Wiring Harness. FEEDER Cord.

Challenges:
1) The OEM Smartview Mirror needs a CANBUS connection per the wiring diagram. The connection for the existing chromatic mirror is physically the same, but may or may not have those pins active. If not, then there are more wire harnesses at the front of the car that need to be replaced.
2) The difference between the antenna harness part numbers (86325XC65A and 86325XC66A) is unclear, they show up under the same listing but have different prices.
3) Not sure the difference between the mirror part numbers either (86374XC00A, 86374XC00B) but these cost exactly the same, so probably inconsequential.
4) Removal of the roof trim to add the wiring requires taking apart a significant amount of the pillar trim as well, not all of it uses clips so there may be some adhesives that need to be replaced.

I am interested in trying this out but reluctant to spend ~$700 on the rear-view camera to find out the CANBUS pins are not active in the existing wiring harness. If I can find the mirror cheap on eBay or from a wreck, I'll give it a shot.