Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to add a SMART camera and upgraded rearview mirror to a Premium? If so, does anyone happen to know the part #s? I did a few quick looks on the parts sites but wasn't exactly sure what the SMART camera entails. My hope is that the connections are somehow hidden and accessible easy enough somewhere in the rear gate. And for the rearview mirror, hopefully it'd be a relatively simple swap. I'm always trying to keep our rear cargo low as to not block the view, so I thought this may potentially solve the issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Is it possible to add a SMART camera and upgraded rearview mirror to a Premium? If so, does anyone happen to know the part #s? I did a few quick looks on the parts sites but wasn't exactly sure what the SMART camera entails. My hope is that the connections are somehow hidden and accessible easy enough somewhere in the rear gate. And for the rearview mirror, hopefully it'd be a relatively simple swap. I'm always trying to keep our rear cargo low as to not block the view, so I thought this may potentially solve the issue. Thanks!
No one has figured out a way to do this and it's doubtful anyone will due the inherent difficulties of breaking into Subaru's OEM systems. Even if you purchased all the parts, the required connections and software might not be available on non-Touring models.

However you can add these features (and more) yourself. Look at this thread for more information.

·
Registered
680 Posts
No one has figured out a way to do this and it's doubtful anyone will due the inherent difficulties of breaking into Subaru's OEM systems. Even if you purchased all the parts, the required connections and software might not be available on non-Touring models.

However you can add these features (and more) yourself. Look at this thread for more information.
SMART camera (rearview mirror ) is not a part of any "OEM systems"
its just regular Gentex ADVGENFDMHL1 , and full kit is ~$550(use to be over $1000) @ crutchfield com
the only special part is the cover trim on your rear gate (don't have to use it )

now Gentex start making new model GENFDMHL2LN
with 2nd input front or rear backup camera (picture-in-picture view )

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SMART camera (rearview mirror ) is not a part of any "OEM systems"
its just regular Gentex ADVGENFDMHL1 , and full kit is ~$550(use to be over $1000) @ crutchfield com
the only special part is the cover trim on your rear gate (don't have to use it )

now Gentex start making new model GENFDMHL2LN
with 2nd input front or rear backup camera (picture-in-picture view )
Hmm thank you but don’t the higher trims offer this feature as an option (or standard)? In other words I would think there would be a Subaru part number. Just to clarify the intent would be to pack the cargo to the ceiling and use the rear view mirror/camera to safely see behind the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,851 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hmm thank you but don’t the higher trims offer this feature as an option (or standard)? In other words I would think there would be a Subaru part number. Just to clarify the intent would be to pack the cargo to the ceiling and use the rear view mirror/camera to safely see behind the vehicle.
yes "Gentex ADVGENFDMHL1" its standard on Touring only and not an option on any other models ...

if i see correctly using Subaru part #s
you will need

Part Number: 92021XC00B Supersession(s): 92021XC00A its ~$700 just a mirror no camera no brackets or harness is included
86367XC00A CAMERA ASSEMBLY-SMART REAR VIEW $242.75

i think you will also need

047406160 TAPPING SCREW-HEXAGON FLANGE HEAD $1.34
86377XC000 CAMERA BRACKET $8.67
86368XC00A CAMERA COVER $4.90
94310XC01AVH TRIM PANEL-REAR GATE,UPPER $53.00

and looks like Touring got different harness (MAIN). BULKHEAD . and rear gate - $550-700 more

more reasonable option is to get
Gentex ADVGENFDMHL1 or GENFDMHL2LN kit
and

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
yes "Gentex ADVGENFDMHL1" its standard on Touring only and not an option on any other models ...

you will need

Part Number: 92021XC00B Supersession(s): 92021XC00A its ~$700 just a mirror no camera no brackets or harness is included

and looks like Touring got different harness (MAIN). BULKHEAD . and rear gate - $550-700 more

and
So not worth over $1,000 if the one from Crutchfield could be used.

The front/read dashcam I installed provides nearly the same function for less than $200 and does a lot more.

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Just to clarify the intent would be to pack the cargo to the ceiling and use the rear view mirror/camera to safely see behind the vehicle.
Also check out this thread, post #14

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

you will need

and
Thank you this is a really helpful lead for some research - but yes I'll also consider the Gentex option as well. I appreciate you putting in the legwork to come up with Subaru part #s!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts