Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Does anyone know if 17" rims will clear the brakes?

It may be dependent on the particular wheel itself.
We're still trying to figure that out. There are some nice winter tires that fit on the 20's and 18's - though the 20's have less rubber of course.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Does anyone know if 17" rims will clear the brakes?

It may be dependent on the particular wheel itself.
Like Robert said, no one really knows right now but it is likely there will only be certain 17" wheels that will clear the brakes. I would guess (similarly to the 2014-2018 Forester XT) wheels that clear "STI Brembo" brakes, such as older OEM BBS STI wheels and Method Racing wheels, should clear the Ascent brakes. Anything is just an educated guess at this point until someone actually tries them out or Tire Rack or other retailers get one to measure.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
598 Posts
I want to know this too. If I ever get my ascent in I’ll test my 17s to see if they’ll fit. But no clue when that might be. Hopefully someone can help test sooner.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front discs 13.1" ventilated, single piston floating calipers. The rotors are 0.7" bigger than my Outbacks. My Outback steelie 17's seem like they have about 15" of clearance at the lowest point and get bigger.

I'll have to check my other rims, which are O.Z. , I bet they are bigger.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So... My 17" OZ wheels have exactly 0.7" caliper clearance.... if the new rotors are 0.7" bigger, I doubt they will fit.

·
Registered
978 Posts
When my OB came with 18’s I considered swapping to 17’s but the size differences wasn’t that big of a deal. The 20’s to the factory 18’s are big enough of a deal I will probably look for someone getting rid of their factory 18’s on their base model and pick those up. The 20’s are for sure all wrong for my use. Not to mention I would probably mangle a tire and wheel with the 20’s. Just not enough tire there for the stuff I do.

·
Registered
598 Posts
When my OB came with 18’s I considered swapping to 17’s but the size differences wasn’t that big of a deal. The 20’s to the factory 18’s are big enough of a deal I will probably look for someone getting rid of their factory 18’s on their base model and pick those up. The 20’s are for sure all wrong for my use. Not to mention I would probably mangle a tire and wheel with the 20’s. Just not enough tire there for the stuff I do.
That's what I was thinking of doing too. I'm sure someone will look to sell their 18's come winter time. Just wonder how much they'd go for - the msrp pricing is $320 per wheel new!

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2...DISK-WHEEL-ALUMINIUM/72802348/28111XC01A.html

·
Registered
978 Posts
Same sort of wheel swaping was in the OB group. I saw sets for $200. People who upsize or go after market typically don’t have space to store wheels and are also happy to get some $. There is always Ebay my wifes mangled Ford wheel was $620 new or $280 used via ebay.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Depending on if we find out that the bolt spacing is 5x114.3 like we anticipate, there are boatloads of 2015+ WRX and 2010+ STI 18 inch wheels that may fit on the Ascent as well (if those are your style of course). Many WRX / STI owners don't keep the OEM wheels long, so they are for sale on NASIOC or other places regularly.

Also fyi - a thread of Subaru OEM wheels and specs:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2239019

·
Registered
978 Posts
Depending on if we find out that the bolt spacing is 5x114.3 like we anticipate, there are boatloads of 2015+ WRX and 2010+ STI 18 inch wheels that may fit on the Ascent as well (if those are your style of course). Many WRX / STI owners don't keep the OEM wheels long, so they are for sale on NASIOC or other places regularly.

Also fyi - a thread of Subaru OEM wheels and specs:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2239019
I thought about that. But I wouldn’t put lower load rated wheels on a 8 pass 5000lb rated hauler.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I thought about that. But I wouldn’t put lower load rated wheels on a 8 pass 5000lb rated hauler.
That is definitely something else to check on if you are considering on swapping. Many aftermarket wheels have load ratings lower than OEM wheels, so that research is even more important in that case.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Same sort of wheel swaping was in the OB group. I saw sets for $200. People who upsize or go after market typically don’t have space to store wheels and are also happy to get some $. There is always Ebay my wifes mangled Ford wheel was $620 new or $280 used via ebay.
good thinking. is there a member marketplace/classifieds area on this forum, i haven't looked.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Keying in those part numbers into google will show several dealers offering the spare/steelies, or the nice subaru 18" wheels. Looks like I can get a set of 4 shipped for:
$390 - steelies
$917 - Premium wheels

tirerack currently has the 245/60-18. Blizzak DM-V2 for $181.46/ea

Will have to see how the touring's 20" falkens handle the mtn snow. The tread pattern does not look nearly aggressive enough for the snow, IMO.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
IF it doesn't rain like crazy, I will have four more 17" wheels tested. The fifth (and final) wheel I am testing arrives Friday. If it rains (like it is supposed to, but who knows around here), then I will test all 5 this weekend.

They are all load rated at or above the requirements.

·
Registered
192 Posts
tirerack currently has the 245/60-18. Blizzak DM-V2 for $181.46/ea

Will have to see how the touring's 20" falkens handle the mtn snow. The tread pattern does not look nearly aggressive enough for the snow, IMO.
Exactly my thought process. Thinking of heading into winter with the stock 20"s, but being ready to pull the trigger on the right winter set.

·
Registered
598 Posts
IF it doesn't rain like crazy, I will have four more 17" wheels tested. The fifth (and final) wheel I am testing arrives Friday. If it rains (like it is supposed to, but who knows around here), then I will test all 5 this weekend.

Robert, what 17" wheels are you testing? Do you have specs of each? Sorry that I missed that thread or post regarding this. Will def be interested in your results.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Speaking of loads, does anybody by chance know what the load specs are on the steel wheels? If they are drastically lower than the pretty wheels? I guess they could be much lower as the intent could be said for only using them when you get a flat, and thus only short distances. This would help me determine to go steel or pretty route for a winter set.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts