Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three days ago we had quite a bit of rain. Two nights ago we started noticing sloshing sounds coming from under the footwell on both sides when we braked or started up again. The weather was quite warm that day but yesterday it turned cold and the sound stopped. We tried to get seen at Subaru yesterday but they’re not open until Wednesday morning. I’m worried the water has frozen and is doing damage.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Three days ago we had quite a bit of rain. Two nights ago we started noticing sloshing sounds coming from under the footwell on both sides when we braked or started up again. The weather was quite warm that day but yesterday it turned cold and the sound stopped. We tried to get seen at Subaru yesterday but they’re not open until Wednesday morning. I’m worried the water has frozen and is doing damage.
Keep us posted, but, I don't think there's any damage that would occur from water freezing on the underside plastic and composite panels.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here’s an update: Apparently there are plastic drains designed to capture water from the moonroof. One of the elbow connectors clogged, froze, and cracked. The substantial rain we had diverted to the foot wells and made the sloshing sound and also made our floors really wet.

Makes me wish my wife had not insisted on the moonroof. Glad to hear you got it figured out. Did the dealer do anything beyond replace the connector?

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Similar to undersized downspouts (unless it was typhoon like conditions). I assume the dealer replaced or completely dried out and cleaned the carpet assuring no mold and stains. Frustrating I am sure.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I actually have heard of this for different makes and models. The other common culprit for water in the cabin is a clogged ac condensor line, usually a small rubber hose underneath the car that can get clogged with dirt and cause water to backup and leak onto the cabin floor

·
Registered
225 Posts
This happens from time to time in all cars with sunroofs. They all have built in gutters and drain lines. Our last car has a notorious issue of the sunroof leaking either from a clogged drain line or a bad seal resulting in stains on the head liner. This was the reason I didn't get a touring. I really didn't want to deal with it anymore. Especially since I open it like once or twice a year. It is a good idea when you wash you car to clean/vacuum the tracks on your sunroof and give them a wipe. Also find out where they terminate and check to make sure dirt doesn't build up on them to keep them from backing up.

AC condenser drains typically cause water to drip in the cabin. This is another drain line to check from time to time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Living in a humid climate, I've long had a practice to run some thin aquarium tubing up the ac condensation drain to prevent clogs due to mold/mildew/algae growing in the line and pan. Yeh, disgusting--especially the first time you ever do it! But it prevents that musty smell and the damp carpet, so worth doing a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Living in a humid climate, I've long had a practice to run some thin aquarium tubing up the ac condensation drain to prevent clogs due to mold/mildew/algae growing in the line and pan. Yeh, disgusting--especially the first time you ever do it! But it prevents that musty smell and the damp carpet, so worth doing a couple of times a year.
Oh I think we need to do this with our Osyssey (musty smell) and will make sure to do it in the Ascent too. Can you give some specifics like where to find the AC drain line, size and length of aquarium tubing, does it just run out by itself or do you need to do something else to get it unclogged? Thank you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here’s an update: Apparently there are plastic drains designed to capture water from the moonroof. One of the elbow connectors clogged, froze, and cracked. The substantial rain we had diverted to the foot wells and made the sloshing sound and also made our floors really wet.
Hopefully they fixed up your floors too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh I think we need to do this with our Odyssey (musty smell) and will make sure to do it in the Ascent too. Can you give some specifics like where to find the AC drain line, size and length of aquarium tubing, does it just run out by itself or do you need to do something else to get it unclogged? Thank you!
If it's not already clogged, you can shimmy under the car after using the ac and see where the water is dripping. I'm not sure what length is needed for each car, so I got a three-foot length because that seemed likely to be long enough. The tubing needs to be wide enough to be able to push it through the pipe, but not any bigger than the pipe and narrow enough to flex to go around bends. Mine is maybe half-inch wide? Just push it up the pipe while you are wearing messy-work clothes and laying uphill. The water and gunk that comes out will run down your arm despite everything you try. Mechanics sometimes just blow compressed air up the drain, but that pushes the gunk back into the pan.

I definitely did this in my 1983 Accord (such beautiful maroon with pink pin-striped upholstery--we called her the Bordello), 1997 Odyssey (called the Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River, also due to the interior color), 2006 CRV, and 2012 Acura wagon. I don't think the 1996 Saturn wagon was with me long enough to need it; could not wait to get rid of that lemon despite my high hopes when I got it.

Also, if you have central AC in your home, find the overflow drain (likely above a sink or tub) and push the tubing up it as well. Having the condensation pan overflow and ruin your ceiling is super-mega no-fun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

So I have now experienced the sloshing, as well. But this is after having my windshield replaced by Safelite. They replaced 3 days later left for vacay for about 2 weeks. On my way to work i heard the slosh. Currently, the car is drying out after removing passenger seat and lifting/propping up all carpeting and insulation (firewall & center console). Had about 3 gallons of water sucked into the wet vac and may towel rings that would probably up the water amount. I heard it rained pretty much for 4 days straight and very hard at times.

Went back to Safelite on the 1st day back to regular life and they are denying any wrong doing here. The technician did a water leak test that was negative but stated that a T connector for the drain was disconnected and that he had reconnected. He also stated that "water dries" referring to my wet carpeting. Without any assistance I would just have a musty/mildew scented ride. I have now disputed the charge as they have caused this issue, i would think when removing/installing the rain sensor the tech tripped up the tubing. Either way, they think its just coincidence...I think NOT.

Does any one know how to safely remove the headliner to check the connection? Want to make sure it's in its proper place and connected securely.

Let me know of any other recourse i should take against Safelite.

Thanks in advance!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.