Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that when driving above about 78mph, I can slightly feel and hear the engine vibrating like it is unbalanced or something. I'm thinking perhaps because it is a four cylinder so going at this speed, it might be normal since the cylinders have to work a bit harder.

Anyone else noticed this?

Just a slight fear if any bolts are loose?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've put at least 1000 miles at 80mph or more and I can't say I noticed any difference at any speed. Almost all that would be with Adaptive Cruise on. I've driven 4400 total in 2 months. Maybe I'm not tuned in and just expecting it to be good. How subtle is this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine is quite smooth but when it gets to that point of subtle vibration, it is enough for me to feel the individual cylinders (tu tu tu tu tu tu)? I am also using the adaptive cruising.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I just hit 2000 miles and many of those have been over 80 mph. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary.

·
Super Moderator
2,457 Posts
I hope the speed limit on that road was 80!

Seriously though, I was sitting shotgun and my Ascent was pulled over for doing 76 in a 55. The person driving it didn't notice she was going so fast because it was so much smoother than her car. I'm not sure how she missed the big 76 on the display, but the state trooper had mercy anyway!

·
Registered
764 Posts
There is a simple 2 lane back road with miles of flat open 65 mph roads that we use to get to my parents house :) 80 mph is actually pretty conservative for actual driving speeds on that road lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have noticed that when driving above about 78mph, I can slightly feel and hear the engine vibrating like it is unbalanced or something. I'm thinking perhaps because it is a four cylinder so going at this speed, it might be normal since the cylinders have to work a bit harder.

Do you have the 20" wheels? I posted this a few weeks ago. Does it sound like it is described here? I don't recall any sense of vibration, just hum on my Ascent.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...roblems/2903-resonating-noise-high-speed.html

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
2,457 Posts
I have the 20". I can actually feel the vibration (very slight) and is like in sync with the engine cylinders.
i have the 18" wheels so maybe thats why i didnt feel it, or not. I actually prefer a stiffer ride like 20" gives so I was looking at upgrading down the line, but probably to something aftermarket

So, if youre going 80ish and you use manual shift mode to downshift, does the noise change significantly with the higher engine speed? Just trying to narrow down the source

·
Registered
978 Posts
Tires can cause all sorts of wonky vibrations. Just drove mh truck after 3 weeks of being parked. Flat spot city talk about a wobbly wonky ride at low speeds and goofy vibrations at speed.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
before the trip, I did made sure each tire was at 33psi.

I will have the dealership check the balance and roundness on my next visit.
Yeah, or take one of the service adviser/tech for a ride along and see if you can replicate the issue.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My son just recently drove on a muddy road, and when back on pavement washed it (Forester) in a hand wand car wash. When he drove off he had bad vibration at higher speeds. Turns out that he washed only half of the rims on the inside, and they were out of balance, severely. Back to the car wash, and cleaned them properly. All good after that.

·
Registered
6 Posts

The boxer engine has opposing pistons which normally will cancel out each others' vibrations.
Hence, the reputation for being very smooth.
The RPM usually does not usually change the vibration much.

If it is really the engine, then there will be something very wrong with it or its mount.

More probably, there is some other cause - perhaps the tires as some suggested.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unbalanced tires pretty much always manifest themselves in the steering wheel front, seat bottom rear. Anything is possible, but was your last vehicle really smooth?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unbalanced tires pretty much always manifest themselves in the steering wheel front, seat bottom rear. Anything is possible, but was your last vehicle really smooth?
Yes, previous vehicles were smooth at 80mph (Infiniti QX80, Ford Explorer Sport, Honda Pilot, Toyota 4Runners)

No worries, your guys probably right. I am seeing the dealer in about two week so will ask them to check my tires.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yes, previous vehicles were smooth at 80mph (Infiniti QX80, Ford Explorer Sport, Honda Pilot, Toyota 4Runners)

No worries, your guys probably right. I am seeing the dealer in about two week so will ask them to check my tires.
Keep in mind many dealers have no as in zero
Way to balance tires. Your typically better of going to your trusted tire shop. If you have a bad tire? Tire warranty is covered by the tire manufacturer not Subaru. And your tire shop can handle a warranty issue.

·
Registered
932 Posts

Ok, make sure you check in after and let us know the resolution. Don't leave us hanging!

Also seconding what was said above - boxer design counters out the opposing forces.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Keep in mind many dealers have no as in zero
Way to balance tires. Your typically better of going to your trusted tire shop. If you have a bad tire? Tire warranty is covered by the tire manufacturer not Subaru. And your tire shop can handle a warranty issue.
What? Ive never been to a dealer without a balancer -

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.