Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted a larger vehicle so i didn't have to pull a trailer. Something comfortable and maneuverable (among other things). I picked up mine Ascent Saturday morning just in time to pack for my trip Monday at a lake. There are a few challenges laying things flat and covering gaps. My head is a bit elevated but that doesn't bother me. Another challenge is the several inch gap between 2nd and 3rd rows. Stuffed that with sturdy foam. I also added a rear hatch tent for easy access and great ventilation. Star gazing thru the moon roof works pretty well at 3am. I'm still working out the little details but two nights down sleeping pretty comfortably. Missing a dog at the moment but that will change in the future.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I wanted a larger vehicle so i didn't have to pull a trailer. Something comfortable and maneuverable (among other things). I picked up mine Ascent Saturday morning just in time to pack for my trip Monday at a lake. There are a few challenges laying things flat and covering gaps. My head is a bit elevated but that doesn't bother me. Another challenge is the several inch gap between 2nd and 3rd rows. Stuffed that with sturdy foam. I also added a rear hatch tent for easy access and great ventilation. Star gazing thru the moon roof works pretty well at 3am. I'm still working out the little details but two nights down sleeping pretty comfortably. Missing a dog at the moment but that will change in the future.
Have you considered using a Paco pad or something like that to lay on and go over that gap?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am laying on about 3.5 inches of foam pad. The only issue is my hip hits right at the gap and i notice it. I have a 1/4" plywood piece between the captain's chairs which works great. I'll have to research Paco pads. The gap isn't level front to back so a little creativity is needed. It's pretty good but could be just a little better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made my own version for my outback. But headroom was lacking. I just used plywood and galvanized pipe and adjusted the pipe lengths according to the slope. I'm not as young (or thin) as i used to be and crawling around in very limited headspace was a tiring. I might be able to adopt my platform idea between 2-4" high. Thanks for the ideas, it helps to get feedback!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 Ascent premium 8 seat model, which has a second row 40/60 bench seat. The seats do not lay flat. To address the gap between 2nd and 3rd row seats with seats laid flat, I custom made two 1/4 inch plywood boards (24 inches wide x 31 3/8 inches long, with a 1 x 1.5 inch board attached with screws about 3 inches from one end. Also cut out a rounded 3 x 5 inch section at a corner to accomodate the right wheel well. when the boards are laid down with the 1.5 x 1 inch board in the gap between seats, it holds it in place nicely and has allowed me to sleep fairly flat with a foam pad and sleeping bag. (My Head toward the front) 4 inch XPed Megamat Duo pad works great with the non slip side up. Thermarest pads work too, even better if you have a non slip coating to reduce sleeping bag sliding around. Note for storage, these boards can slide in vertically behind the second seat when it is up. Sanded and stained/sealed. If I did it again would probably use 3/8 inch plywood instead.
Note that you also need ventilation. Since I did not get a moonroof, I made a screened vent, which sort of worked. But even better I bought a Roadtripper SUV vent from EasygoProducts.com EasyGoProducts EGP-Auto-003-S-1 RoadTripper –SUV Tent – Works as Vent, Bug Guard and Sun Screen Canopy-Car Camping Accessory (1 Pack) It has a screen and tent like hoop that keeps out bugs and rain. That provides a reasonable secure car camping mode for up to 2 people at up to 6 foot tall in the back of the Ascent. If you are taller you might need to make the boards a little longer, and leave a larger gap between the 2nd and 3rd seats. Since there is a total of 7 feet, you might be able to arrange it for those that are well over 6 feet tall. Rather than the window vents I have also used a Napier Sportz Cove 61500 Tailgate tent. It gives plenty of ventilation with the tailgate up, but takes longer to put up and take down than the window vents, and is probably less secure than the window vents to a potential intruder if your on the side of the road. Note if I did not plan to also pull a trailer, I would have gotten an Outback but that would have been a bit tighter for sleeping.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Great timing. I've been in contact with Dirty Dog 4x4 about if they could make trench covers like they do for Wranglers. Never occurred to me that with the seat sliding forward the gap could be much wider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts