Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Also, @raymieb just did a Moab trip... there's SO much to see there, so, he may have some tips and cool places to visit as well. Perhaps he can drop some tips and photos here.
@Robert.Mauro your excellent posts above just made me envious. We came back from Moab and thought it was a good trip. Read your post and realized what we had missed...:LOL:
But seriously, my Ascent wasn't even geared for it. Without proper setup, I presume it might be simpler to rent a Jeep, right? I saw quite a few rental places out there. Has anyone done that and any recommendations?
It was my first trip there, and I realized there is just so much to do. I'll definitely have to go back again.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yes. Don't get them separately. They almost always have a special if you get all three. Also, I strongly suggest the front lip.

Front skid (select front lip from drop down):

Mid Armor:

Rear Diff:

The front lip does NOT look like the photo on the page. It's been upgraded to be better tapered... looks like this photo by @PWCMedic04

The discount is automatic. Just add all three at once. $128 off for the combination I added as an example.
View attachment 15066
I second this. All 3 plus the lip.

I went offroading with a bunch of jeeps. They thought I was crazy and would never make it. If I didn't have the armor underneath I wouldn't have! But with my 2" lift and the armor everything worked great! I did hit some big rocks on the underneath. One so big and so hard it slightly bent my skid plate! It takes one errant rock you miss to ruin your day.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Wheel Tire Plant Car Vehicle
Automotive tire Asphalt Sky Mode of transport Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

·
Registered
951 Posts
Found the picture of the bent skid plate.

Just left of the bolt you can see it's bent where the cutout for the exhaust is. This is thick, strong metal. No clue what that would have done to my Ascent if the plate wasn't there!
Hood Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Pretty delayed report, but the skid plates were required a couple of times for my novice skills on Gemini Bridges and Potash Road. We did not enjoy Salt Valley Road as the scenery wasn't overwhelming and the washboard was really bad. The Schaefer Trail out of Canyonlands to Potash was simple, but a little nerve racking for a couple of my passengers. The views were great though.

Amusing story: asked the park ranger at Islands in the Sky visitor center about Shaeffer. She asked what vehicle I was in. Told her an Ascent and that we did Gemini Bridges a couple of days earlier. Her attitude immediately changed from being wary of giving me too much encouragement to one of matter of fact info sharing. Talk about a confidence boost.

Then we went from the heat to snow in June.

Thanks again, @Robert.Mauro for the recommendations. It was great to have so much info to tailor our off road adventures to my skill and comfort level.

Sky Plant Cloud Plant community Ecoregion

Gemini Bridges
Sky Automotive side-view mirror Car Vehicle Hood

Leaving Arches on Salt Valley Road
Sky Cloud Plant Plant community Natural landscape

We dubbed this Muppet Rock along Gemini Bridges Rd

Cloud Plant Sky Plant community Bedrock

Shaefer Trail
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Snow by Buffalo Mountain
Sky Car Mountain Wheel Tire

Gemini Bridges

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just added the Rallitek skid plates to my 19 Ascent. I did this only because I already had the Rally Innovations light bar and the Primitive plates arent compatible.

So far so good! Nice improvement after ripping 2 OEM plastic guards off from underneath!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just added the Rallitek skid plates to my 19 Ascent. I did this only because I already had the Rally Innovations light bar and the Primitive plates arent compatible.

So far so good! Nice improvement after ripping 2 OEM plastic guards off from underneath!

I thought Primitive had an option to fit the rally innovations light bar with their front skid plate?

·
Administrator
12,163 Posts
I thought Primitive had an option to fit the rally innovations light bar with their front skid plate?
No, alas not, because it's a protection plate only, and bot a brush guard/bar like LP's.

The difference is, of course, that Primitive's is a skid plate, and LP's is a brush guard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No, alas not, because it's a protection plate only, and bot a brush guard/bar like LP's.

The difference is, of course, that Primitive's is a skid plate, and LP's is a brush guard.
Hey Robert, I think you can ask Primitive to modify the front skid plate to fit the Rally Innovation light bars since it is currently listed as an option for the front skid plate

·
Administrator
12,163 Posts
Hey Robert, I think you can ask Primitive to modify the front skid plate to fit the Rally Innovation light bars since it is currently listed as an option for the front skid plate
Oh! My apologies, YES, if one has ordered the pre-modded version, it fits. But, NO, if one orders the regular version, it won't fit. I was horribly unclear above, lol. Sorry.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts