Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I would get a bumper guard, if exist, over a skid plate. There are several objectives to have skid plates (protection device) and I don't think the Ascent necessary requires one if you're using your plastic bumper cover as a first line of defense.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I see the front skid plate for $495 in canadian dollars which is at least 30% less than US dollars. You may want to verify that it is in US dollars.

on LP Adventure’s website, their front skid plate alone is $475. I don’t know what the difference would be, they’re both 3/16” in thickness.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Primitive skids in case anybody was curious - I got the package of 3 .
View attachment 3316
View attachment 3317
Nice! Looks like they modified the front lip with the bevels on both sides. That looks A LOT better than the previous version which just looked out of place to my eyes. Their website only has photos of the old version though.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
Nice! Looks like they modified the front lip with the bevels on both sides. That looks A LOT better than the previous version which just looked out of place to my eyes. Their website only has photos of the old version though.
OMG that's awesome!!! They listen! I made suggestions that they revise that lip and taper it so it didn't stand out from being a different angle than the edges of the bumper, and discussed it with them, including some vids... and they listened - and, they came up with a beautiful way of doing it!!! ❤

BTW, Paul and team are fantastic! Amazing customer service and they really love what they do! The pics posted by @PWCMedic04 are of the THIRD revision, because someone else had ideas for the second revision (which is what me and a friend of mine have) and Primitive listened then too!

Their products keep getting better!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Does anyone know if either the LP or primitive skids decrease overall ground clearance as measured in the front diff? I would have to assume by a small margin, maybe 0.5"?

@Robert.Mauro @Allthewonders @lucas can you confirm?

Anyone install the LP bumper guard and skids?

Thanks

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
The mid armor and rear diff armor decrease ground clearance by a little bit on the Primitive skids. VERY worthwhile trade-off considering the massive CVT oil pan on the bottom.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just installed the works today from LP. Bumper guard, front skid and mid CVT skid. They not only look great, they are solid! I tried moving the bumper guard around the front furthest from a bolt. Nothing. I watched the install videos that LP puts out And read the Primitive install instructions. In my mind the Primitive was WAY more complicated.
Anyhow. The current plastics skid guard is easy to remove with all clips. The trick was getting them all back in haha!!
7” round lights being mounted maybe on a few weeks. here are some pics!

·
Registered
2019 Touring
15 Posts
Just installed the works today from LP. Bumper guard, front skid and mid CVT skid. They not only look great, they are solid! I tried moving the bumper guard around the front furthest from a bolt. Nothing. I watched the install videos that LP puts out And read the Primitive install instructions. In my mind the Primitive was WAY more complicated.
Anyhow. The current plastics skid guard is easy to remove with all clips. The trick was getting them all back in haha!!
7” round lights being mounted maybe on a few weeks. here are some pics!
View attachment 3559

View attachment 3560

View attachment 3561
Really digging your setup! Can I ask you what roof rack setup you have and where you got it? Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Really digging your setup! Can I ask you what roof rack setup you have and where you got it? Thanks!
Thanks! Big fan of all the LP products I’ve installed.
The roof rack is Prinsu designs. I think esthetically it’s great. The install is quite involved as it replaces the existing roof rails. If I had to do it again I would likely go with the rhino rack platform. It appears more modular.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
15 Posts
Thanks! Big fan of all the LP products I’ve installed.
The roof rack is Prinsu designs. I think esthetically it’s great. The install is quite involved as it replaces the existing roof rails. If I had to do it again I would likely go with the rhino rack platform. It appears more modular.
Do you know if either of those designs interfere with the sunroof? And can I ask when you say it’s an involved install, are new holes needed to be drilled? That always makes me a little nervous regarding having any leaks over a long period of time. I have a Yakima basket now which I use but it’s too terrible on gas mileage to leave on all the time when I’m not using it. But it does have clearance for the sunroof. Any sort of noticeable impact with the style you have? Seems very aerodynamic.

I’d also really like to see some additional photos of your car. I’m not sure if you have any others posted on the site somewhere. Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
It does not interfere with the sunroof, but not sure what you mean by that. There are 2"x1" crossbars spaced apart every 10". Centrally, there is only about a 1/2" clearance between the crossbar and the sunroof. If you wanted and were not using you can removed some the crossbars for sure. I think it is more aerodynamic than other systems, but with my a/t tires I'm only averaging 20mpg. My wife has a stock Ascent we bought one year after :) and it is trending closer to 22-23 mpg, but it only has 1000 miles on it.

It uses the pre-existing holes, but they are drilled out 1/8" (?) bigger to accommodate stronger anchoring bolts. The entire inside of the vehicle roof and pillar covering has to come down. You can dl the instructions here:

·
Registered
2019 Touring
15 Posts
It does not interfere with the sunroof, but not sure what you mean by that. There are 2"x1" crossbars spaced apart every 10". Centrally, there is only about a 1/2" clearance between the crossbar and the sunroof. If you wanted and were not using you can removed some the crossbars for sure. I think it is more aerodynamic than other systems, but with my a/t tires I'm only averaging 20mpg. My wife has a stock Ascent we bought one year after :) and it is trending closer to 22-23 mpg, but it only has 1000 miles on it.

It uses the pre-existing holes, but they are drilled out 1/8" (?) bigger to accommodate stronger anchoring bolts. The entire inside of the vehicle roof and pillar covering has to come down. You can dl the instructions here:

Apologies, as I may not have been clear on that but that’s exactly what I was referring to. It looked so very low profile that I wasn’t sure if your model had a sunroof to worry about. Judging by the black grille insert I was guessing it did but also wasn’t sure if that changed in 2020 (mine is 2019). And I’m assuming the horizontal rails can be added/removed as needed without taking the whole rack off At the mounting points? And the whole rack can be taken off fairly easily at the mounting points or would it be a giant pain? Referring to just taking the rack off as opposed to uninstalling so as to wax the car, etc. I really appreciate the link to the install instructions! I’d also appreciate a link to the rhino rack you are speaking of for our models. I’m using the Yakama basket with the OEM crossbars and it does ok, just looks like there are a lot better options out there now...

Also, how hard was it to install the light bar?

Thanks for all the info. And sorry to all for high jacking the thread a bit!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just finished installing the primitive skid plate and front lip, received the plates yesterday and discovered that I was missing a piece, of course this was after I had already removed the factory plastic one. I called primitive and told them I was missing what appears to be a cross member attachment and they were really polite and apologize I asked if he could expedite it for me and he said of course. Well I was really surprised as I was not expecting it at least for a couple days, and it arrived today it was overnighted to me and I'll tell you what, I had to call and tell them I really appreciate the fast response and courtesy I went outside and finished installing them even though we are getting rain bands off the hurricane currently (Sally). It looks awesome and I'm very pleased it's on a 2020 Ascent , also added 235/65-18 Toyo open country tires.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Just finished installing the primitive skid plate and front lip, received the plates yesterday and discovered that I was missing a piece, of course this was after I had already removed the factory plastic one. I called primitive and told them I was missing what appears to be a cross member attachment and they were really polite and apologize I asked if he could expedite it for me and he said of course. Well I was really surprised as I was not expecting it at least for a couple days, and it arrived today it was overnighted to me and I'll tell you what, I had to call and tell them I really appreciate the fast response and courtesy I went outside and finished installing them even though we are getting rain bands off the hurricane currently (Sally). It looks awesome and I'm very pleased it's on a 2020 Ascent , also added 235/65-18 Toyo open country tires.
My three skid plates and front lip are due to arrive Thursday. My son and I wil linstall them this weekend. I have to say it was an absolute pleasure doing business with Primitive. The concept of great customer service comes naturally to them. I had no problems that need addressing but the level of proactive, followup communication and genuineness was superb. I am hoping in a few months to order a lift kit from them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How difficult were the Primitive skid plates to install? I did my OEM hitch, but have never really spent any time under my vehicle ... and would need to figure out that end of things.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
How difficult were the Primitive skid plates to install? I did my OEM hitch, but have never really spent any time under my vehicle ... and would need to figure out that end of things.
I just received my three plates and watched the video. Thursday I install. Very easy based on written and video instructions. The hitch would have been much more involved.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you did the hitch I think you'll have no problems with the primitive skids. I did the skids but not the hitch. My front lip was missing a parts bag and primitive shipped immediately once I called them. Lesson is it's worth opening the box and taking inventory vs. the printed instructions and make sure everything is on hand before you start. make sure you have the right torque wrenches on hand. there are some big bolts and small ones with varying high and low Torques. i don't think i would have gotten the big ones tight enough just guessing vs. the giant 1/2 inch drive torque wrench which made it easy.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts