Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Size of the middle seat (second row bench)

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Carl Abrams 
#1 ·
Hi! I currently drive a 2017 Forester Premium. I love it, but have been looking at 3-row crossovers for more space (for cargo and for relatives from out of town). I’m very excited about the Ascent, but am curious about how spacious the second row bench would be with 2 convertible car seats. Specifically, Do you all think an adult could sit comfortably in beteeen the car seats?. On occasion i’ve sat in the middle seat to help with feedings. When that happens, i wedge myself in between a Graco 4ever 4-in-1 (on the passenger side) and a Britax B-safe infant seat (on the driver’s side). The Infant seat will be replaced with a Graco 3-in-1 slim fit car seat. Any perspectives about the size of the middle seat in this context would be great.

The Subaru dealer where I live won’t have any Ascents until July, so the information on the forum has been greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I don't know if anyone has actually been able to test this yet, but Subaru does have a picture on the website that may be useful to you.

I think that is a Britax Marathon Convertable and a Britax Booster side by side. I'm not sure based on this picture if an adult could sit comfortably (especially if they have wide shoulders), but it should be much more comfortable than in the Forester. I know that in our 2014 Forester, there would not be as much room as this picture shows. Hopefully that helps until you can see one in person!

#3 ·
Sit, yes. Comfortably and for a long trip? No. For a short trip? Sure, not a problem.

Keep in mind that the Ascent is several inches wider than the Forester, so you gain a LOT with it. We had three adults, two of which are my size (6'2", 250 lbs) sitting in the second row and it wasn't bad.

#4 · (Edited)
You can get a pretty solid idea by taking the Hip measurement for the 2nd row and splitting it by 3.

The typical nothing fancy generic booster seat base runs around 16inches wide for reference.

Second Row hip is listed as 57.1 inches which is quite good. A Suburban is 61 inches and my Outback is 55 and I can wedge three in a snug fit. 57inches is decent. Very do able especially with some of the more modern narrower booster bases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.