Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my subscription was going to end in January. I did renew after the trial period ended and got 1 year for $60, not bad.

I haven't been listening recently and actually picked up a 1 year LiveXLive subscription on my phone for $12. With android auto, so easy to use!

So I called in December to cancel my subscription. 30 min wait time. I opted for the callback option. When they called me back, it put me on hold!

So after waiting an hour, they finally answered and I went through the hassle of cancelling. No, they don't make it easy. So finally 1.25 hours to cancel my subscription.

So in January, I get an email saying that the payment failed trying to renew. Luckily I had lost my credit card, so that card was no longer valid. A few days later I get a call from collections about my late payment. So now I spend another 45 mins on the phone explaining that I had already cancelled. They said, the cancellation wasn't done properly and you owe us for the partial time it's still been active, plus a late fee.

Obviously I wasn't going to pay that, so had to go up the levels to get the cancellation done properly and the late fee waived!

I'm not even totally convinced it's over yet, but at least I got a cancellation code confirmed in email this time.

Going forward, it'll be phone music for me. Heck, I'll buy a bunch of music on Amazon Prime Music if I'm road tripping and out of 4G range. It's cheaper and easier!

·
Registered
849 Posts
I think the value for SXM is if you're absolutely married to any of their exclusive content. Otherwise, the same stuff can be had for free or with a different paid subscription. I was a long-time Amazon Music Unlimited subscriber, but switched to Apple Music for the more extensive library and better car integration (Amazon music app wasn't great for me).

Another benefit of Apple Music is that I can hit the talk button and say, "play Fox Sports San Diego", and it will play that local station via Apple Music. It's an AM station, but sounds CD-quality when it's streamed. I don't even think you have to be a paid subscriber to get the radio stuff.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Disclaimer: Apple Music user

If it were an option I would’ve bought my Ascent completely without sxm. The audio quality never even sounds good to me in any car I’ve owned. They’re on par with onstar with their harassment and inability to cancel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only thing I like XM for is for Comedy Central radio, and even then it's a bit expensive. If I could find something similar, that'd be awesome.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On LiveXLive they have several comedy channels you can listen to.

And you can listen for free if you don't mind a few commercials.

I got the $12 subscription for a year commercial free.

For premium, you can download them overnight so you don't have to stream during the day.

·
Registered
224 Posts
SXM has the worst pricing strategy. If they made it $5 a month forever they'd likely retain 80% of SXM equipped owners. Instead they jack the price up and make us PO-ed with how hard it is to cancel in an era when you should be able to manage it all on line. I lived and worked around/with the Indian community in Houston for 20 years and had a hell of time with the CS agent's accent when cancelling. I can't image how frustrated it makes other people.

·
Registered
617 Posts
My worst ever Customer Service experience was cancelling the SXM service on our Ascent after our cross country trip last year.

It was unbelievably terrible and I'm not surprised by any of these stories.

·
Registered
218 Posts
When my trail was running out, I called them and said I'd consider paying them for another year of service- as long as there was no auto renewal involved. You'd have thought I was suddenly speaking Klingon.

Glad I dropped it. Don't miss it.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
I told them I was dropping it, as suggested elsewhere. They gave me a better price. I said "no thanks, I don't feel like paying more than I did the first year". So, they agreed to that price, set up a payment date, and I renewed online.

But, I travel places where it's sometimes nice to have it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't mind satellite radio, and given the poor quality of the HK head unit, I really don't think satellite sounds any different than any other source. My MKZ has a THX certified system, and you can really tell the difference between satellite and any other input source on that car. The meridian system in my f pace makes satellite radio sound incredible, almost as good as other sources. Since the difference in sound quality between any source and satellite radio in my Ascent is negligible, I tend to listen to satellite much more in that car than I do my Lincoln.

When it comes to subscription renewal, I usually check the internet for the best going rates, and when it's time to renew I lock in a two-year contract at that rate. I think they like the stability of having a two-year contract, even if it is at a slightly lower rate.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think I had a SiriusXM trial when I first bought the car. I can’t remember, because I pretty much only use my cell phone to stream music, and I never used SXM. What I do remember is the multiple, multiple pieces of junk mail, many many emails, and phone calls every couple of days from SXM asking me to subscribe. And I told them a few times on the phone that I wasn’t interested. After about a year, it finally stopped. These folks are aggressive.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Since SXM is a legitimate company, not some overseas robo-dialer, take names and document each call. Tell them to put you on their do not contact list. Then if they keep calling you, you get to sue them! I’d do it if they were still harassing me but all I get now are those overseas robo-dialers

·
Registered
401 Posts
That's interesting about you getting spammed by XM. In my case, about a month before my subscriptions are up, I get a letter, and maybe one or two phone calls, and that's it. When I do speak to them, I let them make an offer, and I ask them to do better than that, then I counter with what I found and tell them I'll go two years with it, and they've gone for that every time.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's interesting about you getting spammed by XM. In my case, about a month before my subscriptions are up, I get a letter, and maybe one or two phone calls, and that's it. When I do speak to them, I let them make an offer, and I ask them to do better than that, then I counter with what I found and tell them I'll go two years with it, and they've gone for that every time.
That's because you are subscribed and continue to.

Try and quit......then it's a different story!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,411 Posts
I still get their come-ons for my previous vehicle which I owned for 7 years before trading it in on my Ascent. Professor Dr. SWMBO also gets them for her MY16 Outback. These come between once a month and once every two months, give or take. We have never subscribed to sat radio and probably never will.

·
Registered
617 Posts
That's because you are subscribed and continue to.

Try and quit......then it's a different story!
I have never had a CS rep outright refuse to cancel an account until SXM. Normal reps can't do it so they hook you up with a super rep who then ignored my request and signed me up for a "better deal" for both our cars. We've had SXM on my wife's Accord for 4 years.

I finally said ok cancel both accounts not just the Ascent which really got her revved up. Finally, she did end up cancelling them both but was so flustered that she forgot something and the Accord still had free SXM when I sold it last month.

I still get offers in the mail every month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is something weird specific to my 2019 Ascent sat radio....since free trial expired, I don’t get to enjoy the free sat radio when they were doing some ‘long weekend’ promos....worked for my other car but no free XM on the Ascent.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have never had a CS rep outright refuse to cancel an account until SXM. Normal reps can't do it so they hook you up with a super rep who then ignored my request and signed me up for a "better deal" for both our cars. We've had SXM on my wife's Accord for 4 years.

I finally said ok cancel both accounts not just the Ascent which really got her revved up. Finally, she did end up cancelling them both but was so flustered that she forgot something and the Accord still had free SXM when I sold it last month.

I still get offers in the mail every month.
I did not want to play the rope a dope game with them, so I never renewed after my free term expired. I get the emails and simply never respond since I do not want to encourage them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts