Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I'm approaching the end of my 4 month Sirius XM trial. So far, I've avoided creating an account with them or otherwise interacting beyond confirming my email address. I believe I will continue to get the traffic and travel link for the navigation system for the remainder of my first three years without taking action (please correct me if mistaken), so I'm inclined to let the radio part expire.

But out of curiosity, can anyone offer a description of the actual cost? The latest offer I've received from them in the mail is for 12 months of select service (car only) for $60. What would I really be paying after taxes, fees, and royalties? Unsurprisingly, this information is lacking from the offer.

What about if paying the regular $15.99 per month after the first year?

thanks!

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Greetings,

I'm approaching the end of my 4 month Sirius XM trial. So far, I've avoided creating an account with them or otherwise interacting beyond confirming my email address. I believe I will continue to get the traffic and travel link for the navigation system for the remainder of my first three years without taking action (please correct me if mistaken), so I'm inclined to let the radio part expire.

But out of curiosity, can anyone offer a description of the actual cost? The latest offer I've received from them in the mail is for 12 months of select service (car only) for $60. What would I really be paying after taxes, fees, and royalties? Unsurprisingly, this information is lacking from the offer.

What about if paying the regular $15.99 per month after the first year?

thanks!
There is NO actual cost, lol. I'm not joking. Call them and tell them you're canceling at the end, because you can't see paying the prices they're emailing you, and see what happens.

There's a VERY good change you will get some sort of deal, and it may be phenomenal. Or just a little better than the email one.

Prices people have quoted, when doing that, have been all over the place. Let us know what you get as a final.

As for fees, on a $120 subscription, I am paying $22 in fees. I don't know if that scales (if it does, that's $11 for you, if not, then at least you know it's a max of $22).

Also, remember, your Ascent comes with these:
So, if that comes with whatever you choose, great! But don't add it or pick a package to get it.

·
Registered
944 Posts

Package/Plan
Subscription Term
Charges
SiriusXM Select (1 Year - Promo)
01/20/2019 - 01/20/2020​
$60.00​
U.S. Music Royalty Fee
$11.46​
Total Charges
$71.46

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
So, there you go. Use Kevin's or my fees to estimate fees for any other dollar amount.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, remember, your Ascent comes with these:
So, if that comes with whatever you choose, great! But don't add it or pick a package to get it.
Thanks, Robert and Kevin. As always you are founts of information.

To follow-up, do these 3-year trials remain active even if I no longer carry a SiriusXM subscription for anything else?

Also, I've read some less-than-complementary things about SiriusXM business practices that remind of phone service or Satellite TV, both of which include myriad additional fees and taxes. With Sirius is it really just the base fee plus the music royalty?

thanks!

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Thanks, Robert and Kevin. As always you are founts of information.

To follow-up, do these 3-year trials remain active even if I no longer carry a SiriusXM subscription for anything else?
Subaru already paid for them, so, yes. Those will keep working.

Also, I've read some less-than-complementary things about SiriusXM business practices that remind of phone service or Satellite TV, both of which include myriad additional fees and taxes. With Sirius is it really just the base fee plus the music royalty?
My card showed exactly that number charged ($142 and some change), so, it's exactly what was shown to me on the screen.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again. As I said in the beginning, I'm inclined to let the radio part expire as long as the traffic and travel parts stay active.

I might change my mind if I could simply pay to extend my service without having any kind of auto-renewal, but according to the nice lady on the phone this simply is not done. They can do without a credit card number (with a $2 invoice fee for each bill sent), but even then they automatically renew unless you call to cancel. (Me- so what if I don't pay the invoice? Her- we still renew your service and it becomes a collections issue.)

(Here's where a lot of people are probably thinking "so what?" Well, if they can arrange for my radio service to end on a certain date to complete my free trial, why can't they simply reset that date upon receiving a payment? I'm sufficiently ambivalent about the thing that I'd consider a one time payment to extend the service date, but at this point I'm not looking to enter into a long term billing relationship with this company. I've done that song and dance with my share of companies over the years, but always for something important. It's not a business model I like to support.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
It took me approximately 6 hours spread out over 8 phone calls to cancel my SiriusXM subscription.

They literally would not let me cancel. I had to go three levels of supervisors to finally get the OK to cancel.

And then they forgot to actually do it and I had to repeat the entire process again.

I really wish Subaru did not have a business relationship with Sirius.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Personally I am glad they have it on their cars. I would not drive a car without it. We just did a 13 hour trip in a rental and it was awful not having it. Hated every 20 miles or so down the road dealing w FM fading or losing the station then having to keep searching for another station. When I looked at the Ascent before buying I made sure the info system was equipped with it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It took me approximately 6 hours spread out over 8 phone calls to cancel my SiriusXM subscription.

They literally would not let me cancel. I had to go three levels of supervisors to finally get the OK to cancel.

And then they forgot to actually do it and I had to repeat the entire process again.

Thanks for this. I'm not paranoid, they are out to get me....

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
645 Posts
You could always use a credit card and simply cancel the card after you pay for the year, and tell the CC company not to accept any new charges on the card. Then when they try to get you to pay the next year go through the little song and dance about the price and get it cut down some more...and repeat.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I know my parents call up every renewal period and threaten to cancel and get a deal of ~$5 a month. I paid 14 years ago for forever service in my old car and while I can't transfer the service I get streaming forever. I only mention this because the streaming works really well with Android Auto and if you have more than one car you only have the pay for the service once instead of per vehicle.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could purchase a Sirius/XM prepaid service card in the denomination closest to the required payment, ($15, $30, $50).

Thanks for the interesting idea. Unfortunately, the use of the card still comes with the automatic renewal trap. From the link:
How Our Subscription Works: The subscription plan you choose will automatically renew and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Fees and taxes apply. To cancel you must call us at 1-866-635-2349. See our Customer Agreement for complete terms at www.siriusxm.com. All fees and programming subject to change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After I negotiate a fair price, I always use a one-time use credit card number to pay the bill. Many credit cards allow you to generate a random one-time use number for security. You tell your credit card the company name, amount and expiration. You're using a creditcard, but SiriusXM can't automatically renew. You will get an email that your service is ending, and you start the process over again. Works like a.charm and you can get out of the service if you want.

·
Registered
232 Posts

I had a similar experience. Very aggravating.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts