Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out from the dealer, that prior to bringing in Ascent for the Fuel Pump Recall, they want the tank at 1/4 full. This was hours after I just filled it up. So, I'm going to have to siphon a bunch out.

Are there any flaps or check valves in the filler tube that are going to snag or trap my siphon hose ? I move fuel from the tractor to the generator all the time (I use the tractor as my mobile diesel station) but I (in the far away past) had a oldsmobile that had a check valve that trapped my siphon line, and I was never able to get it back

·
Registered
880 Posts
You should be able to take your car in with a full tank of gas. I believe the 1/4 tank is a dealer preference. May want to let the dealer know you just filled up and see what they say. Or as suggested above drive it until you get to 1/4 tank. FYI I took mine in with the low fuel light on and the techs really did appreciate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should be able to take your car in with a full tank of gas. I believe the 1/4 tank is a dealer preference. May want to let the dealer know you just filled up and see what they say. Or as suggested above drive it until you get to 1/4 tank. FYI I took mine in with the low fuel light on and the techs really did appreciate it.
Correct,
It can be done,
Tech's will have to drain your tank until it's less than 1/4 full meaning it will just take more time (cannot remove the pump until it's below 1/4).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Won't work
What won't. I can't siphon ? is it a flap or what ? Can I disconnect a fuel line and let it dribble out for an hour ?
I also may need to use gas from vehicle for generators, last year power was cut to much of northern calif, for 6 days, as a "safety measure" to prevent downed power lines from lighting another forest fire. And the section of grid they didn't shut down, started a fire.

·
Registered
880 Posts
What I did for generator gas after Hurricane Ike was to use a small 12v automotive fuel pump and 1/4" tubing to snake its way into my wife's pickup' fuel tank. It worked well. Sorry, I have not tried to do that with my Ascent to give you a good answer.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,412 Posts
Siphoning gas from any modern vehicle is a tough row to hoe...they are designed to be difficult to "steal gas" as well as not emit fumes. You'll probably need/want to use a pump like RobertD mentions.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you can get a tube into the gas, you can siphon it. It'll just take longer with a skinny tube.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Turn it upside down. Have some extra oil, brake fluid, wiper fluid and blinker fluid to replace what’s lost.
Or just do some city driving for about 150-200mi and that should take care of the fuel level 😉

1 - 9 of 9 Posts