Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is completely bizarre, so bear with me.... but as I have been test driving new vehicles, I experience sinus and ear pressure every time I’m driving or riding in them (discovered with 24h test drives). The worst has been the Honda Odyssey but I also experience it to a lesser degree in the Ascent. Has anyone else experienced this? I have allergies but nothing extreme, and I am in the medical field so I know exactly what i am feeling but don’t know why. Or how to remedy. On Odyssey forum, there were a couple others with the same problem. It was suggested the problem may be ANC (acoustic noise cancellation) but we turned it off on the Odyssey to no avail. (Apparently, some people have the same problem with noise cancellation headphones as well).
I know this is a long thread but I want to see if there are others experiencing this. I have a feeling in the next couple years, as more people get into new cars, this may come to light...
(The problem is I want a new car now....:(

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
Sinus pressure may also be caused by an allergic response to off-gassing of the new materials. That ends relatively quickly though, as the stuff stops off-gassing at that rate. There's protective coatings on some things as well, that burn off in the first few hundred to a thousand miles or so.

Or, it may be something else entirely.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yeah I would guess an allergy to the outgassing materials. Should dissipate within a month or so.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is there any improvement if you open up the windows while driving?
There can be a difference in relative cabin pressure depending on whether you have the windows open or fully closed.
Alternatively, I suppose it could also be a reaction to the outgassing, as Robert and Kevin suggested?

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
That’s a good thought. But I feel pressure more than allergy symptoms. Exactly like being in an airplane....having to pop my ears and everything.
Some allergic reactions, especially sinus related, will cause pressure, and even changes in hearing.

:sad: Ask me how I know. :sad:

·
Registered
932 Posts
That’s a good thought. But I feel pressure more than allergy symptoms. Exactly like being in an airplane....having to pop my ears and everything.
Some allergic reactions, especially sinus related, will cause pressure, and even changes in hearing.

:sad: Ask me how I know. :sad:
Yup, if your body is producing an inflammatory response to whatever it is that it's perceiving, then you'll get swelling. This in turn will close off the ostia in your sinuses and then they won't be able to equalize pressure. I had this a few times when I was flying Cessnas around and it can get ad.

When allergies get crazy around here, I rely on my neti pot to help me power through without decongestants...

Anyway, I wonder if you can find either an older (produced in the first months of production) Ascent to test drive to see if it gets any better, since those should be "gassed" by then. Or, a used one.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I cracked two windows and it didn’t seem to make a difference, although by then my ears were already full...
In the interests of checking things out ... I would go for a test drive in a used Outback. If no reaction, then go for a test drive in a new Outback that has been on a lot for a couple of months. If no reaction, go sit in one that's fresh off the truck.

It does sound like you're having a reaction to outgassing. We had some pillows that caused all sorts of problems until they'd gotten properly ventilated.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hmmm, is there any owner in the area with a "broken in" Ascent that you could take a ride in.... see if it still affects you after the "new" is gone? Ambassadors anyone?

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
Hmmm, is there any owner in the area with a "broken in" Ascent that you could take a ride in.... see if it still affects you after the "new" is gone? Ambassadors anyone?
Good suggestion!

@Jmcdonaldrn, I am on Long Island, if that helps. I'm closing on 10,000 miles, so, my car should have off-gassed entirely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Robert.Mauro nope, nowhere close....New Orleans area. ? Side note...I drove a 2019 Odyssey for two hours today and had symptoms but less than in the 2018...probably just because my sinuses in general have been better. I guess I’m just gonna have to chose which one causes less and pray that it gets better over time rather than worse. I’m wondering if it could be something with the WiFi/tech features...

·
Registered
79 Posts
YES, I have those same problems. I have had problems with noise cancelling headphones as well as my Ascent. I have had a migraine for most of the month, since I bought my car. Lots of pressure in the sinus's. I open the windows as much as possible and am really struggling with these physical problems. Didn't realize it was the car until I read your post. Now it makes sense. Prior to this I would only get a migraine maybe twice a year. I have had this migraine for 3 weeks straight. Never had a migraine that long. I also am having terrible pressure from the sinuses. It must be coming from the car. My car has 1,800 miles on it and it is about one month old. Still off-gassing. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@MaxieScruf. I am so sorry you are dealing with that too and I hope it is just the off gassing, as that will pass. I have a sinus headache today after driving the Odyssey all day yesterday (my sinuses had been perfect for the last week). My fear, though is that it is something with the tech of the car (like WiFi in such an enclosed area) and may not improve. IDK, I just wish I knew the exact cause because this has made buying a new car a very very unpleasant experience. I think I’m going to drive the Ascent for a couple hours and just choose the vehicle that gives the least symptoms (between Ascent and Odyssey). ? Let me know please if you figure anything out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jmcdonaldrn I am not sure the cause but I can't wear noise canceling headset for any length of time. It actually makes me dizzy. However, I do think that the problem is the off gassing. We actually had to get rid of a brand new travel trailer because the off gassing was still in the coach a year later. Some people are just sensitive to chemicals. I do like my Ascent and overall am hoping if I keep the windows open that the chemicals will become less and less.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.