and was fine no matter

so this looks like really cheap construction
and obviously on top of that
a materials fail for what it should do

has anyone else had similar
and results when addressed

just getting started on this issue.
Thank you.

I have the same chip on the bezel in roughly the spot as yours. It came off onto my finger when I kinda jabbed it slightly with the finger getting into the driver seat. Mines happened less than a month into the ownership but I had forgotten about it til this post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that's not normal. Definitely point it out to your dealership.
I went by dealer this afternoon and they were shocked as well, never seen this before. They were wonderful and are ordering replacement part. Analysis is that the paint just didn't bond to the plastic. Now hope for great installation (and that the other painted console trim parts weren't part of that lot in production)

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
It's not a difficult part to install, and worse thing that happens is a clip needs to be replaced with it, and fortunately, your car will be at a place with hundreds of them in the back, lol! :ROFLMAO: ;)

I'm glad it's being taken care of.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Based off the location, I wonder if you could have accidentally hit that spot with the latch at some point prior to that, when do you went to buckle your seatbelt.

I nicked/scuffed the plastic trim on the center stack when my water bottle fell out of the cup holder when I was coming to a (regular speed) stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same chip on the bezel in roughly the spot as yours. It came off onto my finger when I kinda jabbed it slightly with the finger getting into the driver seat. Mines happened less than a month into the ownership but I had forgotten about it til this post.
Others have said "maybe" chipped or something...but having had the newly designed 2010 Outback since 2009 until 3 weeks ago when I got the Ascent, I say no probable to do without knowing. My Outback had a silver console and it was roughly abused and stayed nice throughout. Actually, I don't think my Outback console was painted, I think the color was integrated. No matter, the silver should not come off of these Ascent Consoles. The dealer confirmed, they said it shouldn't just flake off like that, it's obviously a bonding issue from the manufacturer. The entire piece and paint ideally would be bonded such that it would be very hard to even mar. Knowing how it's made now, makes me a bit concerned of other short cuts. They have made a vehicle that compares to others at up to $60,000 for much less. We'll see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts