Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching one of my favorite channels.... Had a sighting, YOH?

Looks like the afternoon heat + soft sand did you in...;)

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Wow, that's sad to see - if you're on here, just remember you need to air down. Hit me up for tips for next time. The Ascent breezes through that stuff (as does the Baja and Forester).

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Yeah airing down the tires would have helped him get off the sand. But most drivers don't carry a small air compressor to put the air back in afterwards so probably not something they would consider.
Know and plan for risks, or do not take them.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Know and plan for risks, or do not take them.
This is a tough one. There's a ton of people who say it's not worth it and changes nothing with "smaller" tires like ours. They're very wrong, but, nonetheless, I've met a bunch of people who've made the mistake in sand because of it. Sadly.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
370 Posts
This is a tough one. There's a ton of people who say it's not worth it and changes nothing with "smaller" tires like ours. They're very wrong, but, nonetheless, I've met a bunch of people who've made the mistake in sand because of it. Sadly.
Just curious, why is it that airing down tires helps with traction in the sand. Does it increase the surface area of tire making contact with the sand, or ? Seems interesting that the general rule of more inflation = greater traction on most surfaces is the opposite when it comes to sand.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Just curious, why is it that airing down tires helps with traction in the sand. Does it increase the surface area of tire making contact with the sand, or ? Seems interesting that the general rule of more inflation = greater traction on most surfaces is the opposite when it comes to sand.
It's not the traction, which is something I didn't know for a couple of years. Inflated tires push sand in front of them that they dig up, creating an ever increasing berm that the car eventually can't overcome. When they're aired down, they roll/fold over the sand in front of them.

There isn't a Jeep, truck, Subie, etc, I haven't seen get stuck in fine sand when fully aired up. And "send it" isn't the answer - that's brutal on the drivetrain.

This isn't the vid I was trying to find, but it's a good one that explains it...

·
Super Moderator
2,429 Posts
now that we're fully off topic...
in addition to what robert said, more surface area of the tire is on the ground when deflated so the weight is distributed more, so you sink less. Which is also why you push less sand in front of the tires when its deflated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
How much can you air down the OEM 20"s that guy had before you damage the sidewalls?

Also, that guy in the truck said he aired down to 15 PSI, but they didn't look that low to me; I guess it could just be the angles or something being shown.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
370 Posts
It's not the traction, which is something I didn't know for a couple of years. Inflated tires push sand in front of them that they dig up, creating an ever increasing berm that the car eventually can't overcome. When they're aired down, they roll/fold over the sand in front of them.

There isn't a Jeep, truck, Subie, etc, I haven't seen get stuck in fine sand when fully aired up. And "send it" isn't the answer - that's brutal on the drivetrain.

This isn't the vid I was trying to find, but it's a good one that explains it...
Thanks, Robert!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts