Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone considering a side step/running boards? I have 2 little people (4 & 7) and we currently have them on my Honda Pilot, which really helps with them navigate entry to the vehicle because of the height. We also have a '16 OB that they have a bit of trouble entering without assistance, but I have been unable to find a factory accessory or any real options for the Ascent assuming the entry point will be at least as high as the OB.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Anyone considering a side step/running boards? I have 2 little people (4 & 7) and we currently have them on my Honda Pilot, which really helps with them navigate entry to the vehicle because of the height. We also have a '16 OB that they have a bit of trouble entering without assistance, but I have been unable to find a factory accessory or any real options for the Ascent assuming the entry point will be at least as high as the OB.
I'am and yes, no factory accessory available as of now. But, I will keep an eye out in the future.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think the entry point is much lower than the Pilot even though it has more ground clearance. I don't think running boards are necessary. I have them on my Xterra and my kids need them for that but when we saw it at the auto show they had no issues getting in and out. Granted my son is 8 so he is larger than a 4 year old.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the entry point is much lower than the Pilot even though it has more ground clearance. I don't think running boards are necessary. I have them on my Xterra and my kids need them for that but when we saw it at the auto show they had no issues getting in and out. Granted my son is 8 so he is larger than a 4 year old.
Taking both of the kiddos to test drive today so we should get some "real world experience" soon enough. The issue for my youngest will be the in and out during the winter month when the car is usually covered is slush and road salt, since his preferred method of entry sometimes involves using 4 points of contact which means both hands are filthy and probably his knees too. He's also a bit on the smaller side for his age but is crazy independent and has fits if you try to help him in or out as he wants to do it by himself. Having the running boards means he's got a place to put his feet and can pull up on the door & seat to get in without getting dirty, and allows him the independence he wants. Obviously one of the parental units is also always close by to provide a little push up if he needs it

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3/4" inch plywood, circular saw, a drill, simply make your own box.

That's what I personally do (and have done). Have the kids help you and they'll remember it later.
We've got a couple of steps that we constructed for at home, but typically don't have something when we're moving around

·
Registered
965 Posts
We've got a couple of steps that we constructed for at home, but typically don't have something when we're moving around
Make a simple little box, put a cabinet door handle on it for ease of picking up. Just something maybe 8" square on top, about 3" tall. One step up to help people get in and out. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am sure there is an aftermarket RB coming providing there are attachment points. You will lower your ground clearance. I am not making any, that wasn't a hint. I would expect that someone might.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
They make very easy to fold vehicle step stools, not too expensive.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/Stromberg-Carlson/S-150.html

The problem with all of them on a Touring or 7 seater is that there's no under-seat storage under the captain's chairs, and definitely none in the 3rd row on any variant. But the type of step won't change that.

Regardless, the one at the link above folds to 4" high.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Test drive today was awesome, and turns out the Ascent was super accessible for the little guy. He was able to climb in and out without issue or need for assistance. Wife loved the captain's chairs for access to 3rd row with both car seats in place. Felt roomier than my Pilot but not big. I really love the cabin layout

1 - 10 of 10 Posts