Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am taking a fun extended trip in my Ascent down to Southern California and I hit 10k miles. I am feeling proud and happy of my 2019 Ascent and have been bragging about it all weekend. Sadly, on the ride home, what you see in the photo must have happened. That was about 300 miles of it flapping and bending in the wind before I got home and noticed it. Sigh. The temp here is around 100 degrees but that shouldn't affect this should it? Is anyone else experiencing this problem with their moldings? I assume that the dealership will fix it but the hassle is there and then there is the worry about the future with all the moldings...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Have almost 13k on our side moldings and no issues. Even if some of the adhesive were to fail, for whatever reason, the rigidity of the molding would prevent it from bending out as depicted in your photo. It looks suspiciously like someone physically bent the piece back as the hard plastic construction of the molding would prevent it from being bent like that. Have you, per chance, taken it through a car wash?

·
Registered
791 Posts
I had some issues with the side molding, and the lower plastic cladding on the driver side door came almost completely off. Dealer took care of it under warranty.

The troubling thing was all they did was put double-sided tape on both pieces. For the trim on the bottom portion of the door, I would have assumed it would have been some form of a bracket or mechanical fastener. I made them put down in the work order that they would take care of this in the future if it happened again ( this was the same visit where they messed up my oil change, and scratched the bumper of my car also).

This shouldn't happen, even if you did take it through a brush car wash. Although statistically, these things are going to happen to someone at some point (I seem to be in a lot of statistics when it comes to issues with the ascent).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Either surface was not cleaned properly when installed or the tape they used was not 3M product but some cheap aftermarket tape. I've had side molding and other fixtures that I installed myself using 3M tape when living in Bullhead City AZ. where temps get up to the high teens and low 120's in the summer and never had a failure.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
So I am taking a fun extended trip in my Ascent down to Southern California and I hit 10k miles. I am feeling proud and happy of my 2019 Ascent and have been bragging about it all weekend. Sadly, on the ride home, what you see in the photo must have happened. That was about 300 miles of it flapping and bending in the wind before I got home and noticed it. Sigh. The temp here is around 100 degrees but that shouldn't affect this should it? Is anyone else experiencing this problem with their moldings? I assume that the dealership will fix it but the hassle is there and then there is the worry about the future with all the moldings... View attachment 756
The process of applying 3M VHB adhesive, a very popular/common adhesive for these types of applications, should be standard. That issue will likely to persist for all of your moldings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I am cheap I always buy moldings separately to save a hundred bucks. I know the process very well so here is what I think. I don't see any mechanical damage on the door. I think this piece of plastic could be bent before they taped it to your car. They though they could use it anyway and taped it. It held during colder temperatures however as it got hotter naturally double sided sticky tape adhesive weakens and the pre-existing bend pealed off. It is the only way I can explain it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
That molding was bent. If the adhesive simply failed, the molding would not be bent like that. Either it's vandalism or it caught on something.

Bring it to a body shop or to the dealer, they will be able to fix it. The dealer may cover the cost under warranty.

If the dealer won't cover it and you don't want to spend any money, then you can try to fix it yourself. Buy some 3M Automotive Tape at an auto parts store. Carefully remove the existing tape. You may need to heat it with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive (do not use a heat gun unless you know what you're doing). Do not use anything sharp which can scratch the paint. Clean up all traces of the adhesive with Goo Gone. Then thoroughly clean both surfaces with denatured alcohol. Do this several times, all wax and other contaminants must be removed. Carefully apply the 3M Automotive Tape to the molding. Remove the film on the other side of the tape and then press the molding back into position. Hold it there firmly for at least five minutes. If the bend in the molding causes issues, heat it gently with a hair dryer. Allow the 3M tape to fully adhere for 24 hours, then you can drive the car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It depends on which way that is facing. If it's facing frontward, then possibly along with adhesion failure (of whatever mode - tape itself, adhesion to molding, or adhesion to car), the wind got under it and flapped it. Failure progresses for a few more inches, and flapping force eventually bends the molding. Like a fluttering wing on a bad model airplane design, that flapping force can be very strong and often finds a resonance and breaks / bends things.

If it faced backward, then yeah the molding was pre-bent.

F.S.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I think someone in your area was trying to get free molding. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I am taking a fun extended trip in my Ascent down to Southern California and I hit 10k miles. I am feeling proud and happy of my 2019 Ascent and have been bragging about it all weekend. Sadly, on the ride home, what you see in the photo must have happened. That was about 300 miles of it flapping and bending in the wind before I got home and noticed it. Sigh. The temp here is around 100 degrees but that shouldn't affect this should it? Is anyone else experiencing this problem with their moldings? I assume that the dealership will fix it but the hassle is there and then there is the worry about the future with all the moldings... View attachment 756
There is something odd about the adhesive tape in the above picture. I am attaching a picture of the Subaru BSM I just purchased from Subaru. Notice that the double sided tape covers the pointed ends of the BSM unlike the picture above showing the detached molding. Who was the manufacture of the BSM shown above?

Ski Ski Equipment

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is something odd about the adhesive tape in the above picture. I am attaching a picture of the Subaru BSM I just purchased from Subaru. Notice that the double sided tape covers the pointed ends of the BSM unlike the picture above showing the detached molding. Who was the manufacture of the BSM shown above?

View attachment 898
It was factory installed so I dont know who it was. When I took my car in they said that they would handle the whole thing for me so that is nice,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It was facing forwards so it was my assumption that it detached and then was buffeted by traveling at (a reasonable speed on the freeway...hehe) the 300 mile or so distance and bent that way. I didn't think that it was done by someone but I suppose that it is a possibility as we did leave the car in front of a restaurant while we ate. It has gone through the wash numerous times but I cant be the only one doing that. The temperature thing is a possibility it has spent the winter going into snow/cold areas and here in central California the temperatures get over 110 degrees so there is a wide variance although it isn't quick.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's not the factory tape on your moulding. I installed a set on mine and two other sets for friends. The tape should be one large piece on the ends instead of the multiple pieces pictured. Maybe they reinstalled a set of yours that was pulled off another ascent. It would make sense that it pulled away if they didn't clean the tape residue off of the moulding from a prior install.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts