Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
What do you thing about side molding? will it really protect against those jerks slamming doors at parking lots?
Not sure, but it doesn't look good on Ascent. IMO!!
Personally, I like them... I didn't think I would. It may look a bit "cleaner" without it though, but I am fine with the more rugged look... YMMV.

It does offer a level of protection, from certain impacts.

This vid shows the body side molding and door edge guards installed.
https://www.facebook.com/SubaruAmbassadorRobert/videos/2099638276743853/

·
Registered
494 Posts
how high do you have them?

picture?

Check the link in his post. He's got a video of it.

@Robert.Mauro - wish I didnt watch the video of you pointing out that the front door moldings should be a a little longer...I hadnt noticed that before, now I'm going to be fixated on that for a while. LOL

Regarding the color matching, I have the black silica and it mostly matches, but under certain lighting you can tell that it doesnt match 100%. I'm ok with that thought.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've been debating whether or not to buy them and install'em myself. My 08 Forester Sport had them and I like them. The door seems kinda bare not to have them at all. Even my 16 Silverado has them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
192 Posts
Shied away at first but changed my mind and added them for extra protection. Glad I did and the look is more natural than I expected. The thing that I think makes it work is the height of the vehicle - there is a large span of sheet metal and it looks accentuated (vs. crowded) when broken up with a subtle strip of molding.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
After seeing Robert's pictures... I wish I had gotten them :-/ Maybe I'll do it myself... don't want to screw it up though!

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
I wish I would have ordered them as well?. Looks good.
Your dealer can get them and install them in a few minutes. The price and labor will be a little more, but, not much.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
I really do like mine. I don't think it harms the aesthetic at all. I have the Black, so I can't speak on other colors. I wish I could have done it myself, but I wanted them to be straight, haha.
I think I've seen every color so far, and they all look good. They all (except maybe the black) suffer from reflecting light and surroundings a little differently, so, while the metal and painted body will catch colors of (for instance) a sunset in a certain way, the body molding and edge guards will catch it a little differently.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think I've seen every color so far, and they all look good. They all (except maybe the black) suffer from reflecting light and surroundings a little differently, so, while the metal and painted body will catch colors of (for instance) a sunset in a certain way, the body molding and edge guards will catch it a little differently.
Yep. I'm sure it will alter that perfect IG shot, but that was the least of my concerns. Although I do want to bust out the DSLR if the rain every gives me a free weekend.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Anyone know off hand the invoice and MSRP pricing of the molding?
I won't speak to invoice pricing, but they sell for between $165-$229. MSRP is $229. Dealer installation cost will vary based off dealership hourly rate. Install is generally 0.3 to 0.5 hours, I think. Original MSRP was $272, and original invoice was more than the lowest current selling price.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.