Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sometimes my side mirrors light from white becomes green.
I could not catch why, but saw it several times this year already. It happens when it's night, engine is running, car is on Parking and rear hatch is open.... and it is cold - minus 10celsius.
When I close the hatch, park the car, stop engine, open the door - it turns white again...
Anyone knows what this green light means?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Clearly, it's sending you a message that it's too darn old outside!

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Mine does this all the time. I am wondering if it's the auto-dimming LCD crystals interfering with the light color.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
I think Robert's suggestion makes sense. Presumably, the electronic dimming is enabled and actively occurring with the engine running...but this is disabled and turns off when the engine is off. Since those white puddle lights are positioned behind the mirror glass, the dimmed surface is acting as a light filter.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think Robert's suggestion makes sense. Presumably, the electronic dimming is enabled and actively occurring with the engine running...but this is disabled and turns off when the engine is off. Since those white puddle lights are positioned behind the mirror glass, the dimmed surface is acting as a light filter.
Greetings,
Seems a reasonable hypothesis to me. Though it seems that this would just require that the interior lights be on because the light sensor in the rearview mirror triggers the dimming in the side mirrors. Or could the OP have light entering through the open hatch and hitting the rearview mirror? Either way, is temperature a factor?

·
Registered
771 Posts
It is definitely the autodimming.

To test, park your vehicle in a situation where the autodimming does NOT activate. Confirm lighting color/hue.

Now, park your vehicle in a situation where the audodimming engages and your exterior rearview mirrors activate and darken. Re-confirm lighting color/hue.

Rinse and repeat until you've convinced yourself that's it, paying attention to when the autodimming darkens and your welcome lighting changes color. ;)

This happens to me all the time in my home garage, as I have some items up against the garage back wall (I park nose-out) which reflect the tail-lighting enough (and with sufficient differential to the forward-facing autodimming sensor) to cause the anti-glare feature to trigger. :)

As a matter of fact, in the OP's picture above, it's clearly visible that the auto-diming is active.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Based off of what @Robert.Mauro and @Roman Martynenko are saying, I would venture to guess the low temperature is messing with the LED. I live in the south now so I don't see frigid weather anymore, but when I lived in central Alaska my truck's backup sensors would stop working correctly at around -15F (when it was -50 or colder, nothing worked right). While obviously a sensor and a light are not the same thing, extreme cold will mess with anything

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I have an LCD thermometer I decided to bring out to my cold workshop. Messed with the display as well, until it warmed back up.

·
Registered
771 Posts
It's not the weather (it certainly could be, but in this specific case, it's not ;)). Minus 10-deg. C., as noted in the OP by @Roman Martynenko , is nowhere near as cold as what you've seen in your neck of the woods, @SA2020 , but I do see that here in NE-Ohio at least a couple of times every winter. While I certainly agree that extreme cold can do some weird things to electronics, minus 10-deg. C. is only +14 deg. F. This color-change of the LED output with autodim anti-glare engagement happens for-certain between ambient air temperatures of +98 deg. F. and -5 deg. F, from my personal experience with Subarus since 2005.

Also, in this particular case, it's not the binning of the LED. I've been collecting flashlights for close to 30 years...and believe me when I say I've seen some awful hues out-of-the-box ...and yes, "puke green" is definitely one I've seen! 😅 - again for this specific case, this ain't it.

It's really just the autodimming.

First, it's visible in the OP's picture. Look at the lighter coloration border that cricumscribes the darkened inner portion of the rearview mirror. For anyone who owns a late-model Subaru that has the autodimming anti-glare feature, this should be quite recognizable.

And what's more, you can easily go to your vehicle and test this out for yourself. Manipulate your environment to elicit the anti-glare feature to engage, visualize the different hue cast, and re-confirm it without the autodim disengaged - rise and repeat until you're convinced. This simple and logical test will put any and all guess-work to-rest.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
No, it's not.

·
Registered
771 Posts
This is being made way to complicated. The greed light is telling you your tail gate is open. My Outback did the same thing.
As @Robert.Mauro noted, nope, again, it's the autodimming's tint interacting with the LED that it is placed in front of.

The tail-gate being open is secondary to the actual cause, as it allows the interior rearview to get more light (be it reflected from the inside of one's garage by one's tail-lights or direct from street, garage, or other ambient lighting), engaging the anti-glare tint.

Again, if anyone does not believe that the autodimming tint/anti-glare feature is the actual cause, the proof is simple - just elicit your outside mirrors' autodimming anti-glare feature to activate/deactivate while controlling for the variable which you believe to be the cause (in this case, tail-gate open versus latched).

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
This is being made way to complicated. The greed light is telling you your tail gate is open. My Outback did the same thing.
If you open your tailgate and have all interior lights switched off, then your mirror LEDs will continue to be white. It's not an indicator of an open tailgate. If you shine a flashlight at the rearview mirror with the tailgate closed, the LEDs will indeed appear green.

The green color is simply a result of color filtering by the tinting layer of the side mirrors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
TSi is correct. It has nothing to do with the cold. I live in Phoenix and this has happened to me all year long (when 115 or 35 degrees). It took me a while to figure it out as well but it was the auto dimming feature of the side mirrors. The white LED is beaming THROUGH the dimmed glass which is making it cast a green color. Disable your auto dimming mirrors and you’ll see the light turn white. Your car is working perfectly fine!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts