Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SIA Begins Ascent Production - Inside INdiana Business

From the article:
The first 2018 Subaru Ascent will this afternoon roll off the assembly line at Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc. in Lafayette. The new production sparked a $140 million investment at the plant along with plans to create up to 200 jobs.

SIA also produces the Outback, Legacy and Impreza models at the Tippecanoe County plant. The automaker debuted the Ascent last year at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The model is a three-row SUV that seats up to eight passengers.

The first Ascent will come off the line during a ceremony this afternoon in Lafayette, which will include remarks from SIA Senior Executive Vice President Tom Easterday and Senior Vice President Scott Brand.

Last month, Subaru of America Inc. reported its best-ever first quarter for sales. The New Jersey-based company markets and distributes SIA-made Subaru models to more than 600 retailers throughout the United States. SOA reported sales of just under 150,000 vehicles for the quarter, marking a nearly 4 percent increase over the first quarter in 2017.​

·
Registered
967 Posts
So how fast will these find their way into owners hands?? They came off the line meaning they should be near ready to ship (after accessories are installed).
Late June or early July for the first ones.

Keep calm.

Yes, Job One actually rolled off the end of the line today. It's entirely possible that job two won't roll off the end of the line until sometime towards the middle of the week, and even then the tac time (the actual line time for building one) won't reach full production speed for probably two - three MORE weeks. Certainly none of the ones I've ordered so far have had a VIN assigned - which means they're NOT in the build queue yet.

·
Registered
357 Posts
can't wait to they get it up and running full speed !!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
The first 2018 Subaru Ascent will this afternoon roll off the assembly line at Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc. in Lafayette.
Isn't it a 2019 Subaru Ascent?
Yes. Inside Indiana Business must not anticipate scrutiny when it comes to details, I suppose. I'm sure they were as excited as we are and didn't get all the details right.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If their max capacity is 5000 units per month, they can fulfill the orders and have some cars in the dealers by July. That's what I'm hoping sometime in October, I can get one via Costco membership. Obviously, I'm not too crazy to pre-order one.

Hopefully, more people will get excited and over sell their July capacity (5000units).

·
Registered
597 Posts
Late June or early July for the first ones.

Keep calm.

Yes, Job One actually rolled off the end of the line today. It's entirely possible that job two won't roll off the end of the line until sometime towards the middle of the week, and even then the tac time (the actual line time for building one) won't reach full production speed for probably two - three MORE weeks. Certainly none of the ones I've ordered so far have had a VIN assigned - which means they're NOT in the build queue yet.
Oh I understand they won't ramp up but this would be the first one that will actually be delivered. I'm just curious as to when this one will actually be shipped? After all it appears to be a Blue Touring model so maybe they will ship this one out to me!!:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Press release from Subaru on the start of production:
Subaru U.S. Media Center

A Subaru spokesman told Autoblog recently that the company hopes to sell 60,000 Ascents in the first year and had already booked more than 4,000 sold orders on the vehicle from customers who hadn't seen or driven it:
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/08/subaru-production-ascent-indiana/
Based upon VON's, it's more than 11,000 pre-sold ...

Our first one is 78xxx, and the most recent one is 89xxx, I suspect the Subaru person was mis-quoted and that we have 4,000 sold orders just for July.

Considering the minor detail that most of us are either on our September allocations now for pre-sales or are already sold out of our initial allocations ...

·
Administrator
7,800 Posts
Based upon VON's, it's more than 11,000 pre-sold ...

Our first one is 78xxx, and the most recent one is 89xxx, I suspect the Subaru person was mis-quoted and that we have 4,000 sold orders just for July.

Considering the minor detail that most of us are either on our September allocations now for pre-sales or are already sold out of our initial allocations ...
Finally got my VON, and it's 73xxx. Ordered day one.

·
Registered
287 Posts
May be a dumb question, but I never pre ordered any car before...
Does VON really mean anything? I mean I ordered mine on 04/20 and i got 218288022 as VON. so my Ascent production number is 8022??

·
Registered
967 Posts
May be a dumb question, but I never pre ordered any car before...
Does VON really mean anything? I mean I ordered mine on 04/20 and i got 218288022 as VON. so my Ascent production number is 8022??
No, it's just a sequential tracking number for SOA and SIA to have a specific Vehicle Order Number so they can look up in the system your specific car, the options, equipment, color, and accessories.

The actual VON's for the Ascent started in the 218278xxx range (I'm not sure how Robert's VON is 73xxx), so yours is about number 10,000.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No, it's just a sequential tracking number for SOA and SIA to have a specific Vehicle Order Number so they can look up in the system your specific car, the options, equipment, color, and accessories.

The actual VON's for the Ascent started in the 218278xxx range (I'm not sure how Robert's VON is 73xxx), so yours is about number 10,000.
Thank you!
But, does that mean there were 10000 pre-orders between Robert's and mine? I hope they generate VON randomly...may be trim and option specific??

1 - 20 of 87 Posts