Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Many consumers want a larger SUV, but the new 2019 Subaru Ascent may be bigger than you need. Should you wait for the new-generation Outback?
I've heard rumors and whisperings, all of which are good things, but its still 2 rows vs 3 rows. The Ascent will still have more room and if that is what you want/need, then get that. If you don't need that much space the Outback will be perfect for you :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
We are waiting to see what Subaru does with the redesigned 2020 Outback before we make our decision. I just hope they include a turbo option in the 2020 Outback for us who live and travel above 4000 feet. My 2014 Crosstrek has to work extra hard at this elevation.

·
Registered
764 Posts
We are waiting to see what Subaru does with the redesigned 2020 Outback before we make our decision. I just hope they include a turbo option in the 2020 Outback for us who live and travel above 4000 feet. My 2014 Crosstrek has to work extra hard at this elevation.
Its already been confirmed. The 2020 Outback and Legacy will get the option for the 2.4 turbo that is in the Ascent.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I've heard rumors and whisperings, all of which are good things, but its still 2 rows vs 3 rows. The Ascent will still have more room and if that is what you want/need, then get that. If you don't need that much space the Outback will be perfect for you :)
Personally, I wouldn't mind a Forester XL - similar to what VW did with the Tiguan.

Reactions: Dandy

·
Registered
4 Posts
As said before the space you need and the 2 vs 3 rows should be the deciding factor. I've been waiting myself to see what the 2020 Outback comes with. I really like hearing the 2020 Outback will have the 2.4 turbo as I have really enjoyed my last two cars having forced induction. But when I have driven the 3.6 it is so smooth, even at idle. Looks like if I want a new 3.6 Outback I'll have to buy in the next year or so. Probably hold off to drive the 2.4 in the Outback and see how it drives and feels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As said before the space you need and the 2 vs 3 rows should be the deciding factor. I've been waiting myself to see what the 2020 Outback comes with. I really like hearing the 2020 Outback will have the 2.4 turbo as I have really enjoyed my last two cars having forced induction. But when I have driven the 3.6 it is so smooth, even at idle. Looks like if I want a new 3.6 Outback I'll have to buy in the next year or so. Probably hold off to drive the 2.4 in the Outback and see how it drives and feels.
Everything you stated about the 3.6 is why I just bought a 2019 3.6 Limited Outback. Plenty of power, average gas mileage is about 26 MPG and it performs well around our elevation of 7,600 ft above sea level.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Its already been confirmed. The 2020 Outback and Legacy will get the option for the 2.4 turbo that is in the Ascent.
Do you have a link for this? I can't find anything public.

Anyway, I am kind of back and forth about it also, but I think I like the higher-stances of the Ascent compared to the lower ride of the Outback.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I really think that they'll be putting this FA24 into almost everything. It makes sourcing parts easier if the models share parts so availability is easier.

If they did put the FA24 in the STI, I bet it would be bored out even more to a 2.5 or larger (i dont think so but who knows) this motor seems to handle anything thrown at it (from the FA20 in the WRX) and all that is needed is a few parts and a tune to get the WRX to a safe and stable level of power without sacrificing MPG and reliability.

Heck all SOA needs to do is put this motor in the BRZ and it would move like mad. Give it a good 6 speed and auto (just like the one in the ascent) and it would fly off the shelves.

Give it time, someone will get a wrecked Ascent with a good motor /trans and stuff it into a BRZ/GT86/FRS and have maaad fun and skids.

·
Registered
932 Posts
BRZ is about balance, between handling, power, comforts, etc. and COST!

Personally I think the FA24 is fine for the STI - remember it'd get tuned for 93 as well. Perhaps an upgraded Turbo has Jason suggested.

They've been looking at this being the last year for the 3.6 for a long time - mostly because of fuel economy standards. The big question is if they're going to offer the FA24 in the 2020 Outback and Legacy going forward.

The 2019 Forester has no upgraded engine option - the XT was discontinued. So, it's not a matter of talking about the 3.6, it's more of a question of "will the 2.4 go in?"

I believe the Outback 3.6 accounts for more sales relatively speaking against all Outbacks compared to the amount of Foz XT's that were sold compared to overall Foresters. That might have been a reason for the discontinuing.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If you haul lots of stuff on long trips think about load weight vs cars load ratings. The OB works well for me space etc. except for load rating. I do need 5+ seating rarely but ultimately why I wouldn’t get another Outback is the lower load ratings.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I see it as a tweak styling wise.(19 Forester) Not much bigger and top trims will get a optional 2.4 otherwise its the 19 Forester's 2.5. Interior will be the current Impreza/XV/Forester/Ascent design. With the Ascent even if you do not need the third row(like me) it provides plenty of room for empty nesters who like to travel or for other needs. If needed I always have that third row. Also, you get the 2.4 in every trim. Like the Forester the new Outback could have some unique safety upgrade(Like the Foresters facial recognize software)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts