Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ascent is staying at Subaru Pacific since last month. I’m renting Outback instead.
While driving on a little crowded highway, suddenly ALL the alarm lights of my Ascent started blinking, including the brake light by the speed meter, and an error message appeared on the big screen “Eyesight System might be having potential problems.” I got terrified.
The dealer said the transmission harness has an issue and should be replaced, but Subaru cannot provide the replacement part at this point and they don’t know how long it’ll take. I’m very sad and disappointed.
Wondering if I should contact a lawyer to ask about CA Lemon Law.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Why are you renting an Outback? The dealer didn't provide you with a free replacement vehicle while your Ascent is being serviced? I would have a few words with the dealer about that.

Most lemon laws do not go into effect until multiple failures occur. Here are the details concern the California Lemon Law.

California Lemon Law:
An Overview (excerpt)

The California Lemon Law requires a vehicle manufacturer that is unable to repair a vehicle to conform to the manufacturer’s express warranty after a reasonable number of repair attempts to replace or repurchase the vehicle. Although there is no set number for “reasonable repair attempts,” California’s Lemon Law Presumption contains guidelines for determining when a “reasonable number” of repair attempts have been made.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Like pro10is said, you should not be "renting" anything. You should be in a loaner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your responses.
My Ascent is about 1,000 miles so far. I only drive in a small town. The MPG is about 13-14 MPG.
I am renting an Outback because Subaru Pacific said there is no Ascent available as a rental car. They also said my Ascent is safe enough to drive through, I’m prefer to drive Outback since I don’t get scared again by alarms and errors while driving.

I don’t know how to negotiate with the dealer. I’m just waiting for the replacement part available even though the manufacturer told the dealer that they don’t know when the part will be available.
Again, thank you for your comments!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
So it could be different in other states but generally as part of warranty work the dealer will provide you with a loaner vehicle for free. You paid for the Ascent and paid for the warranty and part of that coverage usually means while they work on your Ascent they will give you another car to drive for free (maybe charged to SOA under the warranty).
You are not guaranteed a rental equal to what you purchased but you most likely should be in a newer Subaru.

Either way you should not be paying any money to rent a vehicle while your Ascent is in for warranty work. Heck I got a rental when I had tires put on my 08 a few months ago.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Been there, now fixed

I'd posted the resolution on another thread. Here's the brief story:
>Lights came on and EyeSight disabled. Problem is occasional and always at start. There are no indications of trouble except for the dash lights. Set code P0842 (transmission "A" circuit pressure sensor) and P0700 (general transmission fault). Dealer/SOA wasn't sure what was wrong or how to fix. Added another 2k miles without issue then it recurred.
>Dealer had my Ascent for most odf a week as they worked through the decision tree with SOA. Then I received a call that they found it and needed to change the transmission wiring harness. Once it was secured, the transmission had to be pulled to affect the swap. All is well now. One of the points had high resistance and prevented accurate data from getting to the controller.
>I was provided a 2019 Outback Limited as a loaner. Nice car yet can't pull my trailer nor carry enough people. SOA& the dealer did well through the early months of their new model.
TimG in Oregon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Issue - CVT Harness

In case it helps others, I just wanted to add to this thread and note that I had the same problem.
Driving my 1-month-old Ascent when the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. Definitely freaked my wife out. Brought it in for service (it took four weeks for subaru to get the part/transmission fluid!). Here is the the work order detail:

VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN.
PERFORMED DIAGNOSIS, SCANNED AND FOUND DTC P0867, P0842: CVT HARNESS CONNECTION ISSUE.
CONTACTED TECH LINE AND INSTRUCTED TO CHECK CONNECTOR P19-A2, PIN VERIFIED CVT HARNESS HAS SHORTED
REMOVED CVT, TORQUE CONVERTER AND REPLACED CVT HARNESS PER SERVICE MANUAL.
REINSTALLED CVT, FILLED UP CVT FLUID TO CORRECT LEVEL.
PERFORMED CVT RELEARN.
CLEARED DTC AND TEST DROVE VEHICLE FOR 20 MILES.
CERTIFIED VEHICLE PERFORM TO SUBARU INTENT, NO CODES COME BACK.

Other than the fact that Subaru needed the car back for a full month after I had only had it for a month, I have to say the customer service was great. They gave me a loaner (another new ascent, although lower trim level - I put 1,300 miles on it!) and did whatever they could to make the inconvenience manageable. This was Serramonte subaru in Colma, CA.

Hope that helps others if they have the same problem.

-Subaru owner for 19 years.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Turns out I have the same issue CVT harness issue. 7700 miles, and all the lights turned on. Would go on and off every other start. Drove fine until the last trip to the dealer when it went on limp mode and lost huge power.

Hope the CVT will last longer than the harness....anyone know if it’s an updated part or just a replacement ?

Got a filthy Nissan Rogue AWD from Enterprise in exchange paid for by the dealer. Literally looks like it got back driving through the Baja with the windows down but it was their only SUV.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Turns out I have the same issue CVT harness issue. 7700 miles, and all the lights turned on. Would go on and off every other start. Drove fine until the last trip to the dealer when it went on limp mode and lost huge power.

Hope the CVT will last longer than the harness....anyone know if it’s an updated part or just a replacement ?

Got a filthy Nissan Rogue AWD from Enterprise in exchange paid for by the dealer. Literally looks like it got back driving through the Baja with the windows down but it was their only SUV.
What was the build date on your Ascent, if I may ask? Thank you. I hope they will get you fixed and back on the road quickly :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks!

Still sitting at the dealer waiting for parts. No communication at all for a week until I blew up their phones.

I’ll have to double check but I believe July 2018

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having same issue with warning lights all coming on at once (multiple times) and am driving a loaner Outback (love it) from Subaru until a new transmission harness (back ordered) comes in. I don’t really trust it will be fixed. Wish I would have stayed with the Outback which is very reliable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yesterday my car had to be towed 80miles to a dealership in MO. The first thing I noticed was this squealing noise. I tried to get that fixed but they needed my car alot longer than I could provide. This went on for a few weeks. Sometimes didnt even hear the squealing. Well now my dashboard lit up like a plane runway. Everything was lit up and I couldnt use it. The dealer called me and told me it was the transmission harness. Then I asked about the squealing and they said it could be from that since the harness runs though the transmission. Did anyone else hear squealing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had all the lights come on 2x in 10 days. My Ascent Premium (9mo old, under 6k miles)has now been at the dealers for a week. Was told by the dealer, per SOA and field rep, that, according to the codes, the transmission wiring harness needs to be replaced. It's on back order and I'm now on my second loaner. Was at the dealers 2 days ago to retrieve some personal items and had to pull the vehicle forward to access the rear and back it up when done. The sound it made was loud, clunking squealing. Have not heard that before! Needless to say, I'm not thinking this problem is a simple fix on my end as issues seem to be happening. I hope yours works. Please post when you get the vehicle back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had all the lights come on 2x in 10 days. My Ascent Premium (9mo old, under 6k miles)has now been at the dealers for a week. Was told by the dealer, per SOA and field rep, that, according to the codes, the transmission wiring harness needs to be replaced. It's on back order and I'm now on my second loaner. Was at the dealers 2 days ago to retrieve some personal items and had to pull the vehicle forward to access the rear and back it up when done. The sound it made was loud, clunking squealing. Have not heard that before! Needless to say, I'm not thinking this problem is a simple fix on my end as issues seem to be happening. I hope yours works. Please post when you get the vehicle back.

Mine did the load squealing before all the lights came on. Did they mention to you what it may be?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts