Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a 2021 Subaru Ascent Touring. I bought some snow cables and was wondering if it's best to turn off the x-mode when I have snow cables on?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have a 2021 Subaru Ascent Touring. I bought some snow cables and was wondering if it's best to turn off the x-mode when I have snow cables on?

I do not see why you would need to turn it off. I am curious as to what tires are you using that you might run cables but not x-mode? Why not use a good AT or snow tire and x-mode? Why bother with cables at all?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not see why you would need to turn it off. I am curious as to what tires are you using that you might run cables but not x-mode? Why not use a good AT or snow tire and x-mode? Why bother with cables at all?
I'm new to this and I wasn't sure if using cables and x-mode at the same time would burn out the gears or something. The reason I use cables, instead of snow tires, is that I live in southern CA and would not make use of the snow tires often enough to justify the cost. I'm got the cables only for emergency usage in case of a sudden blizzard storm while I'm doing a day trip in the mountains.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I'm new to this and I wasn't sure if using cables and x-mode at the same time would burn out the gears or something. The reason I use cables, instead of snow tires, is that I live in southern CA and would not make use of the snow tires often enough to justify the cost. I'm got the cables only for emergency usage in case of a sudden blizzard storm while I'm doing a day trip in the mountains.
Chains are not to be used on the Ascent. Not sure about the details of the cables you refer to. There is nothing about the x-mode itself that would be problematic with the cables but the cables themselves may be problematic depending on their profile. Subaru suggests using socks such as these. Unless you get extraordinary levels of snow, I would imagine the x-mode and socks would work just fine.

here is a forum thread on the subject.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chains are not to be used on the Ascent. Not sure about the details of the cables you refer to. There is nothing about the x-mode itself that would be problematic with the cables but the cables themselves may be problematic depending on their profile. Subaru suggests using socks such as these. Unless you get extraordinary levels of snow, I would imagine the x-mode and socks would work just fine.

here is a forum thread on the subject.
Thanks for the tip. I ended up ordering the tire socks. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts